Game Mechanics and Codes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
ninjaluc79

Game Mechanics and Codes

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of creating a new Suikoden 1 stat guide. While I'm at it, I'm creating a game save with all playable characters at level 60 (not 99, as some of them have to do that the hard way).

I found grinding too tedious, so I decided to try hacking my game save and find the hex values corresponding to the characters' stats. So far, I have found an interesting array of hex values at offset 0x0510.

I'm using PSXGE and HHD Hex Editor Neo, by the way. I found HHD easier to use since you can display hex values as decimal values. The screenshots of them are as follows:

HEX VALUES
DECIMAL VALUES
These offset blocks belong to the following characters:

0x0510 ~ 0x055F - Tir
0x0560 ~ 0x05AF - Gremio
0x05B0 ~ 0x05FF - Pahn
0x0600 ~ 0x064F - Cleo
0x0650 ~ 0x068F - Ted

The prototype formula to locate a particular stat from a certain character, therefore is as follows:

L = 510h + 40 * C + N,
where
L = location of the character's stats block
C = character's number
N = stat to be located

The values for C are as follows:

1 - Tir
2 - Gremio
3 - Pahn
4 - Cleo
5 - Ted
6 - Viktor
7 - Odessa
8 - Camille
38 - Flik

Still have to research for the rest. Prototype values for N are as follows:

8 - Equipped Rune
C - Maximum HP
E - Current HP
11 - Lv1 MP
12 - Lv2 MP
13 - Lv3 MP
14 - Lv4 MP
15 - Level
16 - EXP
18 - PWR
19 - SKL
1A - DEF
1B - SPD
1C - MGC
1D - LUK
20 - PWR Growth
21 - SKL Growth
22 - DEF Growth
23 - SPD Growth
24 - MGC Growth
25 - LUK Growth

I'm not sure about the rest of the hex values. If anybody knows what these are, please enlighten me.

Many thanks,
Judas Martel
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Game Mechanics and Codes

Post by Pyriel »

Nine times out ten, the character data and other data that needs to be persisted between sessions are stored in more-or-less contiguous memory and just serialized straight into the file without being reordered at all. Therefore, you can use existing information, like the GameShark codes for the different characters, to help you establish what the values are (Hero Codes). Obviously, the absolute addresses won't match, but the offsets within data structures most likely will.