Does putting rune frag on clive lower his dmg?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
kenshindono

Does putting rune frag on clive lower his dmg?

Post by kenshindono »

I know clive seems to have inate fire damage (dont know how much) I was slapping water run pieces on characters and wanted to put some on him, but i was wondering if it would lower his damage. I actually tested it out briefly and it seems to do so. I.e. with no rune frag on he was hitting a mob for about 400 dmg. With 9 pieces on he was high 200ish

I only tested it on a few bird mobs, but it seemed to effect the damage. Does anyone know if it does screw him up? I would think it wouln't since the only runes that suposedly do damage change are fire and lightning.. but it seemed like it did

side question. Any other characters have an inate elemental attack?
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Does putting rune frag on clive lower his dmg?

Post by Celes »

Initial elemental attacks:

http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/initial.php

Only fire rune pieces add 5% to the base damage value.

Most probably you tested this on creatures weak vs. fire.

Bestiary:
http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/gu ... stiary.php

EDIT: Link
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

Hmm that chart shows Clive as wind,. but His attack animation clearly shows fire damage to the enemies. Isn't his weapon fire based?

btw the 2nd link is just a copy of the first =) heres the beastiary
http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/gu ... stiary.php

and looking at it i tested it on Simurgh.. which it shows are weak against wind actually.. hmm maybe clive does have wind on his weapon? Why the hell does it have a fire animation then?

Still doesn't answer my question though about the element thing. Does putting the water runes lower his damage (assuming it was fire), or is he actually wind inmate with a fire attack animation (for some reason) and putting water on just changes the element of his attack? I guess im just wondering if it overides whatever element the character has when you slap something on
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

kenshindono wrote:Hmm that chart shows Clive as wind,. but His attack animation clearly shows fire damage to the enemies. Isn't his weapon fire based?
Yes. It is confusing due to the animation but it is definitely wind.
btw the 2nd link is just a copy of the first
Thx :)
and looking at it i tested it on Simurgh.. which it shows are weak against wind actually.. hmm maybe clive does have wind on his weapon? Why the hell does it have a fire animation then?
I suppose the programmers made an error here. The same thing goes for the holy elemental on Fukiens weapon and the Star Dragon Sword, which doesn't work at all.
Still doesn't answer my question though about the element thing. Does putting the water runes lower his damage (assuming it was fire), or is he actually wind inmate with a fire attack animation (for some reason) and putting water on just changes the element of his attack? I guess im just wondering if it overides whatever element the character has when you slap something on
Basically it works like this:
A rune piece gives the elemental + bonus. More rune pieces give the bonus mutiple times, yet the elemental stays the same. If no piece is attached, the game takes the initial element that can be non-elemental as well.
So yes, by attaching a piece to the weapon it is possible that the char does less damage to a certain enemy than before. That is, because he had a natural element that was strong vs. that enemy type.
Aside from that, it is not possible to lower your damage output actually when the char had no initial element, because weapon affinities comes only into play to your advantage. It doesn't proc when the enemy type is strong or invulnerable.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

alright so he is wind, and putting water on it was doing less dmg to my test animal because it was weak to wind. Gotcha.

Interesting to note that viktor and Fuiken were suposed to have holy element.. but it does nothing. Quite a few little bugs in this game. Though not as many as 2 =)