Secret Artwork on Game Disc

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
finaldarien

Secret Artwork on Game Disc

Post by finaldarien »

I'm not a regular, so I don't know if this has been discovered yet. There's too much posts to sift through, so here it is.

A long time ago (around 2001 iirc) I was playing Suikoden on ePSXe and back then when using one of the GL plugins for glide, it would load up textures inbetween loading areas (and actually be visible). Anyways, whenever I entered the 3rd floor or whatever floor the library was on, it would show this graphic attached.

When I originally made the screenshot, I only had MSPAINT so I saved it as a BMP (uploaded as gif since this forum won't accept BMP) which I recently found when cleaning out some old files. I thought I would come here and post it in case no one ever heard of it. It seems to be a placeholder for the real graphic which for some reasons still gets loaded into memory. I bet if someone were able to go through all the textures they would find it. I assume the background is magenta because that's where it would be masked. Anyways, enjoy this.

I'm sorry if it's already been discovered, but if not, here's something for all your completionists. It's an authentic graphic from the CD.

P.S. NOT A JOKE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Secret Artwork on Game Disc

Post by Oppenheimer »

You know, it only makes you sound like even more of a liar when you write "Not a Joke" after it.

On the slim chance that someone else can confirm this I'll leave this thread unlocked for a few days.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I think finaldarien is refering to the real image of Tir and the other SoDs, but could not upload it so he created one with MSPAINT.

Real image: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =124&ty=65
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

It's an authentic graphic from the CD.
I'm thinking he's trying to pass the thing he got as authentic, which means he did not create it. That would make this entire thread pretty much useless since that cover is easily obtainable.
finaldarien

Post by finaldarien »

Uhh no, I'm telling the truth and that's just an exact gif conversion of the BMP I had because this site doesn't let you upload BMPs. I'm sure someone could easily discover this the same way I did, I was very specific about it. When loading on the library area (in the PSX game), this texture loads up in memory. The graphic plugin I used back then just flashed the sprite atlas on screen and this was on it. I'm sure if someone can dump the disc files, or view the graphics loaded into memory they can confirm this EASILY.

I'm not a liar, you can look up my username, find my real name, and go to my portfolio. If I wanted to create a masterpiece, I could and I'd take credit for it. This is just what flashed up that day and if you saw a hilarious graphic like that, you'd screenshot it too.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami did something like this (back in 1994). Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 disks seem to be littered with bits and pieces of information that can't be accessed by normal means.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I still think it seems fishy that your first post is something so suspect. But, I'll leave the topic open since others think it could have merit.
ricecake

Post by ricecake »

Hi, I saw this posted and registered because I saw the same thing on another website:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/psx_ps ... sheet/3265
In the graphics that the guy ripped for the bookshelf, he found the same image.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Alrighty then. I stand corrected. My apologies.
finaldarien

Post by finaldarien »

Ahh sweet, thanks. My graphic seems to be blown up and cut off at the bottom, probably because I was playing at 2:1 res and the plugin loaded it offscreen. I guess I can clean this off my hard drive now, I just didn't want it to disappear into obscurity without being discovered.

Anyways, this is a nice site, I've visited for years since Suikoden 1 is my favorite RPG. I even made a Chinchirorin game for the iPhone in hommage to it. I haven't played 3 or 4 yet, but I've played the others.

Thanks again guys.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Off topic: Wow, the site is pretty cool. Look at all the S2 sprites :) They have a lot of sprites which you cannot see during normal gameplay (for example Agares Blight side view) and some rare ones (like all the statues on top of the castle - try to imagine getting Chuchara O.o)
ricecake

Post by ricecake »

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat. I got the link from the Wikipedia page for Suikoden 1.