Perfecting ABackdatedFuture's Walkthrough

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
mpieco

Perfecting ABackdatedFuture's Walkthrough

Post by mpieco »

Have you ever noticed things that rhyxx might not mention, but would make the game immeasurably easier, or wish that something was explained in a little more depth?

I've noticed 2 things in all my replays of Suikoden 1 that I think are definitely worth putting into the walkthrough.

The first thing is the Dwarf Vault, the battle against the monster Gigantes. If you would have put the Wind Rune on Kirkis before entering, that battle becomes a 3 turn battle. Gigantes is weak to Wind, and Kirkis at the recommended level would have 2 uses of Shredding, and does about 890 for each one (especially if you equip two magic-upping Emblems).

The second thing is the Pirate's Fortress, when you recruit Anji/Leonardo/Kanak. We all know Tai Ho and Yam Koo have an insane combo together, but what the walkthrough doesn't mention is the fact that you can BUY TURTLE RUNES before this phase of the game, and thus you can equip them on Tai Ho/Yam Koo. No more unbalanced healers! Instead you have an every-turn combo to use.

Have you ever noticed an omission of something like this that you think is worth putting into the walkthrough? This isn't so much a "I used completely different characters and still did it!" kind of thing as it is, "you can tweak what you HAVE to use to make it easier!" thing. Wind Rune/Emblems on Kirkis and Turtle Runes on the fishermen make those respective battles much smoother. Anything else?
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Perfecting rhyxx's Walkthrough

Post by Celes »

You are right on both suggestions. I'll let rhyxx know about this!

In addition to that: Kai is always a good choise. He joins without any preconditions to be set (he doesn't even ask!), by the time you can recruit him, his lv is very high plus his unite with McDohl is way over-powered.
ABackdatedFuture

Re: Perfecting Aardwolf_Zy's Walkthrough

Post by ABackdatedFuture »

It's actually nice for a change to have people recommend making a FAQ better than bashing it, saying how bad it is!

Matt, I'm really sorry if I didn't reply to your emails (it's been a couple weeks and I've had to reinstall everything on my computer, including my email. My host server saves inbound emails, but not outbound ones, so I can't tell if I replied or not), but I definitely do appreciate you looking into being able to make my FAQ better, I want it to be!

I already have several ideas compiled together (especially a few from Celes, thank you!), and am now just trying to find the time to put it all together. With having to take care of a 2 year old boy and deal with a full time job with extra hours, it's hard to find the extra time and ambition to work on this, but I assure you, it will be done!

Any more ideas are more than welcome! I'll be back here occasionally to check up on it for new ones! Thanks!
Last edited by ABackdatedFuture on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

People bash it? It's easily the best walkthrough for the game that there is. There are just small things that may have gone unnoticed because only people who play the game regularly once/twice per year would pick up on it.

I'm at the point where Viktor gets the Star Dragon Sword, and I haven't really seen any additions that can be made to the walkthrough. I've been using Sheena a lot (and Kirkis obviously), and those two are way better than I remember. Kirkis is at level 45 and has a skill of 166. That's just crazy. And Sheena is just shy of Tir in almost every category.

And rhyxx, it's not a problem. I understand completely (except for the kid part, although that's coming shortly). I just got a jones for playing through the games again, so I've been dedicating about an hour each night. :-)
ABackdatedFuture

I thank you for your dedication and help, Matt! It'll definitely go up on the next update! And congrats on the kid, your life's about to become FUN! My boy just turned 2, and he's a blast! :)

Also, I'm going to try to hop around the boards to let people know, but I've changed from rhyxx to Aardwolf_Zy (for several reasons, too many to list here), and my contact info has changed at well. All of my stuff can still be found here, as well as GameFAQs.com, and my web site is now http://aa-zy.com/.

Thanks for all your help, Celes!
Last edited by ABackdatedFuture on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Instead of putting a wind rune on Kirkis for Gigantes in the Dwarf Vault, you could just bring Luc. ;) he has 1 or 2 extra shreddings than Kirkis would have at that point.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

TrueWater00 wrote:Instead of putting a wind rune on Kirkis for Gigantes in the Dwarf Vault, you could just bring Luc. ;) he has 1 or 2 extra shreddings than Kirkis would have at that point.
mpieco wrote:Have you ever noticed an omission of something...that you think is worth putting into the walkthrough? This isn't so much a "I used completely different characters and still did it!" kind of thing as it is, "you can tweak what you HAVE to use to make it easier!" thing...

...If you would have put the Wind Rune on Kirkis before entering, that battle becomes a 3 turn battle. Gigantes is weak to Wind, and Kirkis at the recommended level would have 2 uses of Shredding, and does about 890 for each one (especially if you equip two magic-upping Emblems).
Looks like someone forgot to read the original post...
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

just a sugestion. I think a 'tips' section would be helpfull. With a lot of little side tips. Such as using the dragon incess on characters who have unbalanced moves for healing (clone rune, boar rune, ect) and the before mentioned Tai-ho/Yam-koo combo with turtle runes, hell even some things like the fact that Clive seems to do fire damage with his gun (I personally like to give him 2 speed rings and a spark rune. Especially when grinding stuff, i just mash auto attack and everyone gets to act first, even the lowbies i bring along. Throw Persmerga or some other slow tanks in your group and you got farming you can do while watching tv and not even looking at the screen)

The guides good if you want to use it as a thorough walkthrough, but having a short little tip section compiling some of the better little secrets would be helpful. Hell i dont even know a lot of them, i didn't find out about the incense combo or turtle rune thing until this play through. Im wondering how many others im unaware of.
ABackdatedFuture

It's Aardwolf_Zy now for those who don't know.

Keep the suggestions coming! I know it's been a while since the last post, but I'm always looking to make the guide better! :mrgreen:
ABackdatedFuture

I have the same topic up for Suikoden II, in case anyone has anything to add:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =9&t=12523

From RPG Seeker on my Suikoden II topic:
In your Suikoden 1 walkthrough, Rubi can be recruited when Kirkis is at level 35.
My reply:
I see that I have level 40 there... I'll have to verify it and include it in the next update, thanks!
Last edited by ABackdatedFuture on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

We discussed and verified the Rubi thing in another topic actually.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =8&t=12351
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
ABackdatedFuture

Ah cool, thanks!
ninjaluc79

Re: Perfecting Aardwolf_Zy's (former: rhyxx's) Walkthrough

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I'm considering making a new stats guide for Suikoden 1.

I noticed that Sansuke and Pahn (both have 00 MGC growth) have 4 MGC by level 1, not 10 as stated in the Suikosource stat guide. But I have a hunch that the final stats in S1 are the same as in S2, but with different level 1 stats.
So I'm thinking about finding a way to tweak all playable characters to make them level 1 after boosting every single one of them (including characters most people don't use) to a suitable level before Gregminster since Fliktor will be locked into the final party.

So anybody knows a suitable level to boost everyone to at Moravia or Shasarazade? Is it possible to get everyone to at least level 60 without EXP tricks before Gregminster? If not, maybe level 55-58 would be fine.

I don't want to raise all characters to level 99 because some of them have to do that the hard way. So level 60 is fine.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Spoofer

Post by Spoofer »

A new stat guide would be great. =) The starting stats certainly seem to be inaccurate based on the level 1 characters I've recruited. =( I'm not sure if the stat growth listings themselves are completely accurate either, as many of my level 60 characters have stats far better than I would have expected them to be based on the listed patterns (or far worse in some cases). They're often completely outside the expected range of values, though this also might have to do with the starting stats being off. Either way, I certainly wouldn't mind knowing the chances of higher-level skillups like in the other games' listings.

You can get a full group of characters to 55 fairly quickly in Shasarazade. It takes an hour or two of straight grinding to get them from 55 to 60 in there, without the aid of Fortune Runes. With the runes, it'd probably go faster despite not having the benefit of combat-oriented attachments to help with the Elite Soldiers.

I'm in the process of this now, actually (getting everyone up to 60 prior to Fliktor). I figure I need to take 15 groups in, and I've done 5 so far. It's taking way too long (and this coming from someone who's farmed tons & tons of rare items); I'm thinking about just boosting them in smaller groups with Fliktor in Gregminster. =/

Good luck!
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So then, can we compare our stats as soon as we're done with our respective playthroughs?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.