Level up all charectors?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Darc505

Level up all charectors?

Post by Darc505 »

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question. do i need to level up each and every charector in suikoden1 and give them good equipment? or do I just choose who i think are best and concentrate on them??
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Level up all charectors?

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

It depends on you, really. If you want to only concentrate on a few, you can do that and suffer no ill effects from that. If you want to take the time to level everyone up and whatnot, you can do that to.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

It would certainly take a very long time to level up everyone (and a lot of money for their weapons and equipment) so most people just try out people that they like and see what works. Also, equipment/runes can be stripped off and equipped to other characters, so it's best to remove equipment when you're done using someone that you don't use often, rather than buying the best for everyone.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

You can easily get away with only using a handful of the stars. Although the suikoden often forces upon your party various characters, only your main character, Flik and Victor are forced on you at the end of the game (you, Flik and Viktor are amazing, so it's not really twisting your arm). with a maximum party size of 6, that means you only have to bring up another 3 characters to level 60ish with good equipment. This is contrasted with the rest of the series where you are required to split into multiple parties late in the game, and so you have to level up more characters. suikoden 3 takes the cake with this, as it not only has you split into 3 parties of 6 right before the final boss, but also unlike other suikodens, leveling up characters matters for the large scale battles, so you can justify leveling about 40 characters to prepare for the final large scale battle.

Chris_Lightfellow is right though, you shouldn't feel like you only need to use 6 people. Over the course of the game you should feel free to experiment with characters. on the flip side, it's probably a poor choice to bring up everybody to level 60 with the best arms and armor, as noted, will take a lot of time and money, and of course there isn't any particular in-game benefit to doing so, except bragging rights, and for a handful of characters, some transfers onto Suikoden 2.
Darc505

Post by Darc505 »

Thank you all for this wonderful advice! I felt depressed for a second when I thought i might need to work on all my crew.
I thought it would have a similar battle like that in suikoden 2 where in one particular battle you use 3 parties i think ( not sure as its been a very long time since i played the classic suikoden games)

Thanks again!