[Guide] Getting Your Characters to Lv 99 Easily

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Ellyos

Re: [Guide] Getting your characters to Lv 99 easily

Post by Ellyos »

Nope, I'm not interested by power leveling :)
Jake Johnson

Re: [Guide] Getting your characters to Lv 99 easily

Post by Jake Johnson »

I used to perform a little trick where I'd use a controller that:

1) had an "autofire" setting

and

2) I didn't care about damaging

I'd go somewhere like the little peninsula just outside Gregminster or one of the areas in the first mission for the Empire where the character could move into, then would repeat two animations over and over, set my X button to auto-fire, and wrap a rubber band and penny combination around the controller to keep it going horizontally (vertically can foul it up!) into that area.

Having X on auto-fire would ensure that everyone Attacks; I'd go do something else for ten minutes or so, then come back and check the inventories - this trick can cause a lock-up if your entire party's inventories get full and you get another item. Usually I would use our medicines to heal everyone.

It's not exactly a "high-tech" controller trick such as the legendary Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start, but I can usually end up with quite a bit of cash and a rather powerful starting party - then two or three of these battle-hardened hitters with some weaklings could build the weaklings up, too!
TenyuTrips

Re: [Guide] Getting Your Characters to Lv 99 Easily

Post by TenyuTrips »

CelesDestiny wrote: Characters who can be boosted a bit, at Shazarazade. Fight a group with 4x Elite Soldier (earn 900 exp in each case before using the trick)
Mace (75), Kasim (75), Clive (71), Eikei (71), Sonya (69), Pesmerga (69), Crowley (60, quite useless...)

celes
First, Thanks for the great information.

I think I read the entire topic and I don't think this was mentioned, but 2 of those characters, Mace and Kasim can level to 78 (instead of 75) by battling one of the two groups that have 2 Magus in the back found in Moravia. The front row would be 3 Ninja or 1 Ninja and 2 Elite Soldiers.

Specifically any character level 43, 44, 45, or 46 will benefit more by battling one of those two groups in Moravia instead of the 4 Elite Soldiers at Shazarazade.

I also have a question, if I understand correctly the reason that Valeria is "quite difficult" is because you would need to maintain Tir at level 1 until after the battle with Kwanda...is that right?
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

TenyuTrips wrote:Specifically any character level 43, 44, 45, or 46 will benefit more by battling one of those two groups in Moravia instead of the 4 Elite Soldiers at Shazarazade.
Didn't know that, thanks :)
I also have a question, if I understand correctly the reason that Valeria is "quite difficult" is because you would need to maintain Tir at level 1 until after the battle with Kwanda...is that right?
Valeria always joins at lv (Tir's lv +3), so you would need to lv him at least up to lv 96, which is insane at that point of the story. However, since Valeria cannot equip a Fortune Rune, she'll end up in the last group otherwise.
TenyuTrips

Post by TenyuTrips »

Oh, right. :) Thanks.

Another little note, it helped when I found the topic that had this information:

Character lvl = Monster lvl - 15 (and less) : 10.000 xp (That's the max)
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 14 : 9.700 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 13 : 9.300 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 12 : 9.000 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 11 : 8.500 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 10 : 8.000 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 9 : 7.500 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 8 : 6.900 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 7 : 6.000 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 6 : 5.100 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 5 : 3.900 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 4 : 2.600 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 3 : 1.600 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 2 : 900 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl - 1 : 400 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl : 200 xp (it's the base)
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 1 : 160 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 2 : 120 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 3 : 90 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 4 : 70 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 5 : 50 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 6 : 30 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 7 : 20 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 8 : 15 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 9 : 10 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 10 : 7 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 11 : 5 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 12 : 3 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 13 : 2 xp
Character lvl = Monster lvl + 14 (and more) : 1 xp (but a fight still gives 5 xp minimum)

and I realized there was a difference in this table and the one found earlier in this topic.
(Sorry, I may have been able to reference this in a better way but I hope this is okay) :oops:

Again, thanks for all of this great information! :D
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

The EXP Table can be found in the Bestiary as well.

The one earlier posted in this thread was from a different point of view, 2-member party.
TenyuTrips

Post by TenyuTrips »

Thanks, I guess I should have made use of the guides sooner in the game.

But then the reason that I found that those 4 levels would benefit from the battle with two maguses and three front row monsters was because I had 6 or 7 characters in that range. :wink: Oh well, it gives me another reason to play this great game again! :D
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

hi,

Anyone here discover a good way to get max hp increase for every character during level up?
Grade"A"Brassiere
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Your only chance is to do it level by level, always aiming for the max increase per level. There is no way to do it with this trick.
Wicht

Post by Wicht »

I'm basically about to replay all the Suikoden'ss [again] and I have a question about the lvling tricks in both games. I've never done the lvl 99 trick before. However since characters do transfer to S2, basically what lvl are the reoccuring characters are at when you load up Suikoden 2? Because after lvl 49 you can't use the trick from S2 anymore, right? Kinda dumb in that regard, wanted a near Perfect game but in a sense I'll be screwed with any tranfered lvl 99 character.

Any solutions to that or at least as much detail on the topic would be nice so I can at least understand the mechanics better. As good as the two topics I've seen on this, this part is never detailed or explained thoroughly or could be expanded on.
steamwolf

Post by steamwolf »

I know the thread is old but I noticed in the first post that Valeria could be recruited at level 99 though it was difficult. I thought I would give this a try and left McDohl at level 1, only to find Valera joins at level 4. I noticed that her level is +3 to McDohl's, so it makes sense. But how exactly is Valeria recruited at level 99 then? Is she and the others (aside from Sheena and Kuromimi) only able to be recruited this way if McDohl is at the correct level for their level bonus + his level?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah. It's a matter of recruiting at 99 being technically possible, but completely infeasible.
steamwolf

Post by steamwolf »

Well that's all right. I'll just build up Valeria the old-fashioned way :D
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Celes wrote:How is experience calculated?
Unlike S2, exp is divided among all characters in battle, not only among the living ones. You can get a max of 10.000 exp per enemy, if it is at least 15 lv superior than you (thanks to Reinbach_III for figuring this out!). With a group of 6 enemies, the max is obviously 60.000. Divided by 2 (McDohl + char x) and you'll gain still 30.000, which can be doubled again with the fortune rune up to 60.000. Of course, McDohl alone receives 60.000 exp without the help of the rune.

6 targets with max exp: 6 x 10.000
divided by party size (McDohl + x): 60.000 / 2
with fortune rune: 30.000 x 2 = 60.000
I am confused about this. The bestiary says experience is calculated for each character individually. So why is it divided? And how does the game figure out how much experience is awarded to divide? Does it take each character's experience award, divide it by the number of people in the party, give them their share and throw out the rest?

For example: A level 45 McDohl, level 45 Cleo, Level 40 Viktor, Level 40 Hix, Level 50 Crowley, and Level 1 Sansuke fight three Larvae (level 45). How much XP would each one get?

It sounds like McDohl/Cleo would each get 100 (200 base for enemies being even level, x3 for number of enemies, /6 for number of allies), Viktor/Hix would get 1950 each (3900 base for enemies being +5 level, x3 for number of enemies, /6 for number of allies), Crowley would get 25 (50 base for enemies at -5 level, x3 for number of enemies, /6 for number of allies), and Sansuke would get 5,000 (10,000 base for enemies more than +15 level, x3 number of enemies, /6 number of allies).

The experience isn't pooled together and shared six ways, the game just divides by the number of party members, even if they are using an entirely different base number?
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Correct.

The caluclation is done for every character individually:

Total EXP / (# party members)
if Total EXP < 5 then Total EXP = 5
if Fortune Rune attached then Total EXP * 2