Odd thought; Flik, McDohl, and Odessa's soul

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
bookwormbabe29

Odd thought; Flik, McDohl, and Odessa's soul

Post by bookwormbabe29 »

(spoilers for those who are new...which should be none lol)

I just replayed the part where Ted has his soul absorbed by the Soul Eater. If you remember, Ted is the first to put to words what we (the player) either already know or suspect: that soul eater eats souls. He even tells us it takes the souls of those most dear to the host, including Gremio, Teo's, and Odessa's. Again, we veterans know this.

But how many people in game know this? I always thought it weird McDohl goes around showing off the rune in battle and how many people know he has the rune, as he is supposed to be keeping it safe. Another issue I suppose. Regardless, how many people know it absorbs the souls of the ones he cares about? Since this is the first time it is mentioned in game, and Ted says this is the soul eaters 'secret' I would think this is not known. McDohl might know/suspect, but not the other party members.

My point is this: if this really is the point where this is learned, how do your party members feel about it? Particularly Flik, who is REQUIRED to be here without cheating. Isn't it odd for him not to react at all learning his lovers soul was absorbed by the soul eater?

As I said, an odd thought, but figured I'd ask and see what people thought.
darkknightkv

Re: Odd thought; Flik, McDohl, and Odessa's soul

Post by darkknightkv »

I'm thinking that the "Inner circle" within the game may know or at least have some idea. Flik is a bit odd so in his head, being close to the rune may be his only way of being close to Odessa. The one's who were with McDohl from the start (Pahl and Cleo) are willing to die for McDohl so yeah....

The only other one I can really think of in the inner circle would be Victor, he is not really known to think that far ahead. In addition to that he is also the...Pet/Servant to a true rune so he may have some protection.

Other people are not as close to McDohl so they may not know or may not be worried about it.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

If you've noticed once one of those 4 die (Odessa,Gremio,Teo,Ted) you will unlock one new spell.

The odd thing for me is Odessa. She knewTir for only a short period of time,so how the hell she was as close as the other 3 to the hero?
bookwormbabe29

Post by bookwormbabe29 »

I think Odessa qualifies as she is a kindred soul for McDohl. She knows him the shortest amount of time of the four, and yet she has as much influence on him as any of the others, inspiring him to become a major force for the liberation army.

Personally, I wouldn't think the inner circle would know much about it. There may be suspicions mind you, but it's never stated by anyone and that's kind of a major thing to over look. How would McDohl even breach that subject? "Um, hey guys, try not to stand too close to me in battle so I don't, you know, eatyoursoulsorsomething. Good luck!" As for the spells, we as the player know why he gains new spells by the game mechanic. But would those in game know this? I mean, McDohl gains a new spell for his father's death, but you could go the whole game and never cast said spell.

No matter which way you look at it, the scene of Ted's death is a major opportunity for the characters to talk about it... and they don't acknowledge it even a little. They just grab the weed/plant thing, and head home like that wasn't a big deal. Considering how Flik reacts to Sanchez's involvement in Odessa's death, you'd think he'd have some choice words for McDohl over this subject. Yet we see nothing. Is that odd, or am I just being nit picky?
CVagts

Post by CVagts »

Odessa being a kindred soul for McDohl is something that I would buy, but it's still funny that the four people who die for the Soul Eater are "father", "lifelong friend", "friend and sworn guardian", "girl I've known for 20 minutes".

As for why nobody acknowledges it, my guess would be that it was just the nature of the game. The plot wasn't hashed out at all like it was in future Suikoden games. They went really barebones on it.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

yeah true. the first game unfortunately was very rushed. they didn't even have meanwhile scenes,i mean what was happening at the enemy side,like they did in Suikoden,but hey who can blame them? It was 1995 back then and it was more well-created than the rest of the games back then...and on top of that it was the game where everything started. if people wouldn't embrace it we wouldn't have any sequels :D

Now about the Soul Eater....well it's just game mechanics i guess. Otherwise your whole army will be eaten alive :lol: :lol: :lol:
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

I always thought that since he was still rather new at hosting the Soul Eater that he and his followers were just figuring it out. The way everyone died all seemed like natural ways for a person to die so most people probably just figured it was merely coincidence that they were close to Tir. I mean what warrior/leader in a war hasn't lost precious loved ones? Odessa and Gremio's deaths probably didn't arouse much suspicion. Teo's death probably got Tir and Cleo to figure it out or at least get very close to. Ted's death was probably the "aha!" moment for probably Tir, Cleo, Pahn, and Viktor. They probably continued on because they needed to finish the war and their desire to protect Tir trumped their concern about getting killed.

Obviously Tir was quite affected by this as he set off with just Gremio so as to avoid causing harm despite mastering the rune. This is probably because it was after S1 that they came up with runes having a cursed stage that goes away once mastered. But I always figured that he had PTSD similar to army person dealing with paranoia that something bad will happen despite things being okay. Another thing that makes it confusing is that in S3 they decided that true runes grant memories of either the rune or previous hosts. So you would think Tir would know from the get-go that he shouldn't get close to people. But I imagine most people didn't know his rune absorbs souls. I mean Matthew died and Tir was close to him but there is no evidence that he was absorbed
Most people would be likely to assume it was a side effect of war. The only ones likely to know were Leknaat and Luc and they kept their distance.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Flik already blamed Tir and Viktor for Odessa's death in the first place. He was angry at Tir for replacing Odessa as leader of the Liberation Army, and tried to take charge of the army himself. Then eventually Flik pulled his head out of his own ass and realised that Tir was the right man for the job. The thing that made Flik accept Tir as leader was seeing how he carries on the fight after losing Gremio. Flik was there when Gremio died in Soniere prison, and he was there when Tir killed his own father, and he was standing right beside Ted when he died in Seek valley.

So I think the reason Flik doesn't react to Odessa's soul being taken by the soul eater was because he is aware that Tir has made sacrifices during his time as leader. And that's the sort of person you have to be when you become a leader in Suikoden. You have to suffer horrible losses and make painful decisions. Flik already reacted badly after Odessa's death, and because of that we lost a battle at Scarleticia and loads of soldiers were wiped out by milich's poison. So Flik learns not to let his personal feelings get the better of him.

But Flik does try to take revenge against Sanchez, because ultimately Sanchez betrayed everyone and admits that he was to blame for Odessa's death. Tir never lied or acted dishonestly towards Flik and never betrayed him. So maybe learning about the nature of Tir's rune just doesn't change Flik's opinion.