GameLemon says Suikoden II is 3rd best CRPG of all time

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
thcrock
Global Admin

GameLemon says Suikoden II is 3rd best CRPG of all time

Post by thcrock »

Very good article I saw on the front page of digg today.

http://www.gamelemon.com/article_30010.jsp

Suikoden III is on the list as well, but the best part is Suikoden II is only behind FFIII and FFT on the list. GameLemon may not be the most popular of videogame sites, but the article did make it to the front page of digg.

I'll disagree with FF7 not being on the list at all, but I can deal with it - the list on the whole is pretty good, in my opinion.
Occam Arkitect

Re: GameLemon says Suikoden II is 3rd best CRPG of all time

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Nice list, though it seems a little "trying to be different" with some of the obvious ones not there.
Quing

Post by Quing »

Hmm. I haven't played some of those. I'll have to check them out. The ones I recognized seemed pretty worthy. I disagree with the fact that Suikoden III is up there and V isn't, but that's because I'm snide. I agree that FF VI deserves a higher spot than VII (though I think that Tactics deserves higher than VI). I was pretty surprised, though, that VII wasn't on the list at all. I was also surprised at some of the things he counted as RPGs. Even Valkyrie Profile is stretching it a bit. A little too much manual dexterity required for it to really count in my opinion. Ah, well. But it seemed a pretty reasonable list, nonetheless. I do think SII should have been in the number 1 slot.
neoshadow

Post by neoshadow »

man FFVI is the best rpg ever :D

old time 2d graphic with hironobu sakaguchi directing the games,

that was when story was by far more important than graphics!

i miss 2d games :(
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

I disagree with the fact that Shadow hearts isn't even on the list! XD I disagree with the order of some of them and that some of the ones that were merely honorable mentions. Still always nice to see some appreciation of FFVI
neoshadow

Post by neoshadow »

haha people are so mad to see that the guy didnt even put FF VII in the list

its so funny to see they say : OMFG?!! where is FF7 in the list, its the best rpg eva bro!

seems they never played underground rpg such as suikoden,shiningforce, phantasy star, LOD, saga frontier and others :P ( i can keep naming all of thoses i finished )

anyway im still thinking the 3 first suikodens are one of the best series since its on the same land, with returning characters and places.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

Im also glad that Xenogears got on one of the best RPG list :)
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Well i'm kinda glad Kingdom Hearts is on the list and i'm really glad to see Suikoden II beat out Suikoden III by a long shot.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

KoRnholio wrote:Very good article I saw on the front page of digg today.

http://www.gamelemon.com/article_30010.jsp

Suikoden III is on the list as well, but the best part is Suikoden II is only behind FFIII and FFT on the list. GameLemon may not be the most popular of videogame sites, but the article did make it to the front page of digg.

I'll disagree with FF7 not being on the list at all, but I can deal with it - the list on the whole is pretty good, in my opinion.
The old saying is "Hindsight is 20/20." And looking back, I agree with them that Final Fantasy VII isn't nearly as good as people believe it to be. I hated the static backgrounds. I hated the fact that there were walls that weren't obvious, because the backgrounds sucked. (Navigating the Crater level at the end was a nightmare.) And the story was sub-par, compared to other RPGs.

I'm a little surprised that none of the Wild ARMs games are on there, but I guess it's an acquired taste. ;)
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Some of those games stand the test of time.
Deathrace King
Quing

Post by Quing »

I'm going to agree with Ziekcied that Wild ARMs probably should have been on the list. It's really a classic. But I'm also going to say that Final Fantasy VII, while not the best game in the world, was certainly one of the best Final Fantasies, probably third best after Tactics and VI. It had a much better developed plot than most of them, and for all its faults, it certainly had memorable characters: the spiky-haired lunatic, the talking dog, the animated giant plush toy, Mr. T...
Wade Aznable

Post by Wade Aznable »

Actually Wild Arms could have been included, and there are some other "missing VIPs" as well; on the other side there are also a couple of titles that I'd have not included, but even if posted on a known site it is still a personal list (and each one of us has got his, ain't we? :mrgreen: )

That said, for a suikofan like me, seeing two suikogames in the list was a nice surprise!
May you live interesting times...
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

Quing wrote:I'm going to agree with Ziekcied that Wild ARMs probably should have been on the list. It's really a classic.
Sony must think so, too. Because this week, Wild ARMs was posted in the PSOne Classics section of the PlayStation Store. You can download and play it on your PS3 or PSP for $5.99. I don't know if they figured out a way to emulate the PS1 memory card when playing it on a PSP, though. Usually PSOne Classics on the PSP disable the memory card. You can't play an RPG without a memory card.

Anyway, I figured I'd mention that for anyone who has a PS3, or PSP, and wants to play this old classic. Personally, I still have the game (disc, jewel case, manual, etc.) from I think my birthday in 1997. I'm never getting rid of that.