PSX Emulator questions and topics

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Metsu

Re: PSX Emulator questions and topics

Post by Metsu »

I would blame that on emulator/rom instruction. You have an i7 and nothing should make it spike like that from the emulator. Another long-shot, is I've seen certain anti-virus like programs cause huge performance hits like that in programs sometimes. But those were usually bad ones that were installed on my work laptop :)
The_Swimmer

Post by The_Swimmer »

Okay, so I actually tried with epsxe 1.7 - At 59.9 FPS, the game uses around 18% of the processor (if that makes any sense). Sometimes it wen up just once on the world map at around 23%. Then, when slowdowns occured, it drastically goes down to 1%, even 0.2/3%. I can't seem to find a rule for the slowdowns to happen: it happens on the worldmap, or quicky when a random fight happens.

The game kind of freezes, the musics stutters, like I said in my first message. I don't know if that helps, but this is the information I gathered.

EDIT: I run Front Mission 3 with epsxe 2.0 and PCSX-Reloaded. I never had as much as slowdowns and cracks in the sound than now. A year ago, I played this game, really enjoyed it but never experienced freezes like in Suikoden II. So could it be computer related...?
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Here is my settings from eSPXe 1.8 using Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9. All I can think of is try the same settings and see.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.18
Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
- 1920x1080 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]
Stretch mode: 0
Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
- Scanlines: disabled
- Game fixes: off [00000000]
The_Swimmer

Post by The_Swimmer »

May I ask you the memory of your computer? The question is not innocent - I watched this Youtube video yesterday while looking for solutions and settings to prevent those freezes from happening.

It's Front Mission 3; a game I woul like to play seriously. The video features "HD" Graphics, a nice smoothing filter, etc. Take a look at the computer settings:
Laptop specs:
- CPU Intel Core i5-2450M 2.30 Ghz
- RAM 4 GB
- GPU Gefoce GT 540M
- Windows 7 (64 bit)

I played the game before - Unless it's PAL version (50Hz), it's faster, but I don't notice any jumps or slowdowns, when the robot shoots with its shotgun for instance. But it's the case for me, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the laptop specs are not better than mine...

BUT! I used the Sound Plugin ePSXe SPU Core 1.9.0. Results are rather good, though the FPS quickly fluctuates between 55 to 65, but I do not sense slowdowns, per se. The game seems to "compensate itself", if that makes any sense. I hope you understand what I'm tring to say. :)

The drawback is I have cracks in the sound. Maybe I can work around this through the computer settings. What do you think?

EDIT: My mistake... Actually, the sound Plugin ePSXe SPU Core 1.9.0 does not give me improvements. Stil have those FPS drop and the stuterrings.
I read in the ngemu.com boards that ePSXe does not like integrated gfx card, like my Intel HD Graphics 4000. What bothers me is I tried to add ePSXe 1.9 to the nVidia card I have through the Control Panel, but when I close the window, it's like I did not do anything because ePSXe is no more in the programs added to the nvidia card. Plus, I tried to turn off Vsync for instance as advised in other threads around the Internet, but the freezes still happen.

In any case, here's a link I just found that might work around that new hurdle... And the global process I'm talking about.
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

I have 16GB of ram and an i7. I even run the emulator on my old hdd which is not a solid state. I'm on vacation at the moment but I'm wondering too if it is the sound. I used default everything except for some settings on the video plugin though so I'm not sure it's the sound plugin.
The_Swimmer

Post by The_Swimmer »

Here are the news: I've been playing for some days using ePSXe 1.8 with video Plugin Pete's Opengl Driver 1.77 (if my memory serves me well...) and the sound Plugin Andy's SPU Audio Driver -

Fullscreen mode 1366*768 - color depth 32bit
Internal res: 2 & 2
Stretching mode: 0
Render mode: 2

FPS limit 63 and I didn't tick the FPS Limiter and Frame Skipping.

Compatibility: 1 2 2

Filters: I tick Screen filtering and also use Shader effect 1 Fullscreen smoothing and Shader level 2 - I leave 0 pixels for Flicker- fix border.

In misc: I just tick MDEC filter.

Well NOW I'm enjoying Suikoden II! Game is pretty stable with just a few minor hiccups but only at the beginning, when I launch the Iso. Seems like the game or the computer, or the program loads something but otherwise, no slowdowns like the one I experienced at first, great graphics and nice and clear sound.

I'm really glad and relieved. :)
faospark

Post by faospark »

My Simple Settings for Suikoden II and Ifor ePSXe
Sample :

i just prefer the pixels on the sprites and text to be smoothed out. you can also do this with pete's opengl driver but it takes a lot of tweaking to do so and would consume more ram than the one i have below.

Video Plugin: ePSXe GPU Core 2.0.0
configurations
color depth: 32
internal resolution: Normal Resolution
Blit Mode: OpenGL v2
Screen filtering - ticked.
filter for 2D games : xBRZ x2

Sound Plugin: PE Op S Sound Audio Driver
customize based on your OS.
NdutzzDohl

Post by NdutzzDohl »