Suikoden Japanese Title Not Removed

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Suikoden Japanese Title Not Removed

Post by dragonmasterx »

Anyone ever find it weird that Suikoden on official goodies like box art, posters, etc. have the Japanese title 幻想水滸伝 right below the English title "Suikoden"? Have you ever even noticed it? Does it add a coolness factor to the title?

I was staring at my Suikoden IV wallscroll from the Treasure Hunt and suddenly realized this.
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

I think it's used as a tie in for the game to Japan so when someone looks at it the know it is from that kind of origin and i think it does add a slight extra coolness and it's good to have on the covers etc because it still shwoing Japanese origin.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Basel

Post by Basel »

This goes for the Japanese items as well, the word GENSOSUIKODEN is right below 幻想水滸伝. What is confusing is that gensousuikoden is used sometimes.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

That's what each of the five symbols stand for.

GEN-SO-SUI-KO-DEN
Razakin

Post by Razakin »

Basel wrote:This goes for the Japanese items as well, the word GENSOSUIKODEN is right below 幻想水滸伝. What is confusing is that gensousuikoden is used sometimes.
What products do use that romanization? Both are correct btw.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Most of the products if not all.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

I think it is possibly all products that are faithful to the series of games such as: posters, manga, walkthroughs etc
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Razakin

Post by Razakin »

Basel wrote:Most of the products if not all.
Just to make sure, I was asking what products use that Gensou romanization. Haven't myself yet seen Suikostuff with that romanization.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Razakin wrote:
Basel wrote:Most of the products if not all.
Just to make sure, I was asking what products use that Gensou romanization. Haven't myself yet seen Suikostuff with that romanization.
I think he means the Japanese products. Glancing through my Japanese Suikoden novels, the title is:

幻想水滸伝
GENSOSUIKODEN

Another example.
---
The first two kanji are actually pronounced "gensou." I've seen many transliterations where if there's a double vowel like the "ou" in "gensou", they just take out that second vowel. I'm not sure why.
---
"Gensou" means fantasy. That's removed from the English title; that's why US and PAL fans get confused between the Ancient Chinese Suikoden and the Konami Suikoden. This confusion doesn't happen among Japanese. In fact, King often refers to the series by "the Gensou series."

Perhaps it would have been better if Konami US&PAL left in the "Genso" part for the US&PAL releases, to avoid the confusion?
Basel

Post by Basel »

Razakin wrote:what products use that Gensou romanization.
gensousuikoden v data collection, the artbook given with the Japanese LE, uses it. I cannot recall others right now but I can check my collection once I go back home today.
Razakin

Post by Razakin »

dragonmasterx wrote:I think he means the Japanese products.
I knew that, but probably that didn't come out cleary from my posts.
dragonmasterx wrote:The first two kanji are actually pronounced "gensou." I've seen many transliterations where if there's a double vowel like the "ou" in "gensou", they just take out that second vowel. I'm not sure why.
It's because in english there's no double vowel in their language, if I recall correctly the explanation a friend told me. Usually person who speaks english as their motherlanguage tends to change double vowels to single, or romanize it differently, like "oh" (Gensoh for example). Anyways, what I know, both single vowel and double vowel versions are correct translations / romanizations, heck in Finland, the most correct version would be Gensoo.
dragonmasterx wrote:Perhaps it would have been better if Konami US&PAL left in the "Genso" part for the US&PAL releases, to avoid the confusion?
But then, some fans would be puzzled what that Genso means. But that would be better. And would help with the confusion with that Suikoden - Demon Century anime.
Basel wrote:gensousuikoden v data collection, the artbook given with the Japanese LE, uses it. I cannot recall others right now but I can check my collection once I go back home today.
Oh, so seems that Konami has started to use Gensou just recently?
Basel

Post by Basel »

I could not find the Gensou romanization used any where else. It is either GENSOSUIKODEN, GENSO SUIKODEN with a simple between the two words, or no romanization at all.