Suikoden 2 Ranked #55 Best Game of All Time

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Raging Barows Brat wrote:though in my opinion, it is the wrong one.
Not necessarily the WRONG one, just not all of the right ones are on there. I thought that all but S4 and ST deserve to be on there, actually. And as for FF7, I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to be on the list. I really think that it does. Pretty much all the FFs besides X-2 deserve to be. But I am glad it's not in the top 10 because it's not THAT good.
Purr.
Raging Barows Brat

Post by Raging Barows Brat »

Pollensalta wrote:
Raging Barows Brat wrote:though in my opinion, it is the wrong one.
Not necessarily the WRONG one, just not all of the right ones are on there.
Yes, that's really what I meant. And I agree that most of the FF belong on there somewhere (besides X-2, but does that one even really count as a FF? :wink: ). To be honest all the Suikodens kind of deserve a place, simply because even my least favorite Suikoden is still better than a good majority of RPGs that have been released over the years. Maybe we Suiko fans just have higher standards, no? 8)
Alcholism is a disease, but it's like the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. "Dammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic." "Dammit, Otto, you have lupus." One of those two doesn't sound right. --Mitch Hedberg
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Zelda games are overrrated.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Siel Avadon wrote:Zelda games are overrrated.
*hands you a $20*

THANK you.
Purr.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

there also not rpgs like epopel seem to try and claim, there action adventure.

if legend of zelda is an rpg franchise, then i guess halo is too
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

If you want to take the term 'RPG' literally, nearly all games are RPGs.

RPG is a blanket term, and I'm not sure how people became accustomed to using the term to describe fantasy games specifically, since RPG doesn't specifically refer to anything. Halo is an RPG, but it's also a first-person shooter, and since RPG refers to something else in people's minds, people use the latter, since it's much more descriptive. All of the games in the Zelda franchise are RPGs, but they're also action/adventure games, so people use that one as well.

The term 'RPG' is only used by gamers when nothing else is available (supposedly), even though I think the term should go away entirely, since it's too broad.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:If you want to take the term 'RPG' literally, nearly all games are RPGs.

RPG is a blanket term, and I'm not sure how people became accustomed to using the term to describe fantasy games specifically, since RPG doesn't specifically refer to anything. Halo is an RPG, but it's also a first-person shooter, and since RPG refers to something else in people's minds, people use the latter, since it's much more descriptive. All of the games in the Zelda franchise are RPGs, but they're also action/adventure games, so people use that one as well.

The term 'RPG' is only used by gamers when nothing else is available (supposedly), even though I think the term should go away entirely, since it's too broad.
the term describes a specific genre, just like FPS describes a genre.

my point was, that if people refer to zelda as an rpg, then they pretty much have to refer to every other game as an rpg
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

aww ... my all time fav Legend of Mana was not on the list ..

sad sad ..
BlueMoonRune... Shine ur Etenal Light upon the Weaklings ...
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

warmaster670 wrote:the term describes a specific genre, just like FPS describes a genre.

my point was, that if people refer to zelda as an rpg, then they pretty much have to refer to every other game as an rpg
Think about it: role-playing game. That refers to almost every video game in existence, despite what the term has come to mean over the years. Halo is an RPG. Zelda is an RPG. GTA is an RPG. Suikoden, also, is an RPG, and can be grouped together with all other games with such a blanket term. Labeling any game an "RPG", therefore, is never incorrect.

Zelda, being a game with a plot (using the term loosely here) deeply delving in fantasy, would be not only an RPG in the literal sense, but also an RPG in the sense that it has come to mean (specifically referring to FF and Suikoden, etc.). Zelda specifically would action/adventure RPG, so calling it an RPG is not so far off the mark, no matter how you may want to think about it.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:
warmaster670 wrote:the term describes a specific genre, just like FPS describes a genre.

Think about it: role-playing game. That refers to almost every video game in existence, despite what the term has come to mean over the years. Halo is an RPG. Zelda is an RPG. GTA is an RPG. Suikoden, also, is an RPG, and can be grouped together with all other games with such a blanket term. Labeling any game an "RPG", therefore, is never incorrect.
that was my point originaly, but it doesnt stop the fact that rpg is used to describe a genre of game now.

i suppose if we want to get into techicalitys and opinions, then all rpgs are adventure games, but there not refered to as adventure there refered to as rpg.

dont get me wrong, i know exactly what your saying, but if games like zelda start classing as rpgs in the game world, then soon every adventure game with a hint of a story will be.

classifying it as something else would be a nice comprimise to both sides a thing, maybe rpg adventure, or something like that, like how games like dark alliance and champions of norrath are known as hack and slash rpgs
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I doubt the term would ever be applied to something like the 007 games or the Tomb Raider series, but I see your point.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:I doubt the term would ever be applied to something like the 007 games or the Tomb Raider series, but I see your point.
thinking about it last night, theres many sub catagories for rpg rpgs even, mmorpgs, jrpgs, wrpgs, srpgs.

maybe i was a bit to brash with what i said about zelda, but i still most definetly think it should not be refered to as just 'rpg'
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Pollensalta wrote:
*hands you a $20*

THANK you.
Ohh Hey thanks!

It is a aciton game, Zelda
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

I would say the best RPG ever made from Square is Xenogears imo. i do have to agree at points tat FF are a bit childish such as Tidus. I believe they basically made him really sensitive in the game.
True Tir Mcdohl

Post by True Tir Mcdohl »

Seriously...That Top 100 is one of the worst ones I've ever seen ever. Super Mario Bros. should be #1 with Street Fighter 2 at #2. These where the two biggest games that created the biggest impacts within the gaming world, no other game can touch what they have accomplished and achieved.