Suikoden II on PSN: Why it didn't became viral

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
bluemask

Suikoden II on PSN: Why it didn't became viral

Postby bluemask » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am

I was just thinking that despite the rarity of an original Suikoden II Physical copy, I wonder why the PSN version didn't become viral. Could this possibly be the epidemic of emulators and it wasn't much of a big deal to own the game anymore? Or rather, newer generation of players find the game too "old school" for their taste?

Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden II on PSN: Why it didn't became viral

Postby Antimatzist » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Did any PlayStation Classic title ever go viral? The game was among the Top 10 PS Classics of the year it was released in, which is really good for such a niche game.

But if you need reasons: it was released as a PS Classic and thus only playable on PS3 and Vita - at a time when the PS4 was already out for a year and gamers started to change systems. Konami should've invested some money, give the game a small overhaul and bring it to PS4, similar to what Square Enix did to FF VII (which was also released on Steam). That'd have a greater chance of success.

Also, rarity of original games don't guarantee success. The closest I can think of would be Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings, but even these games don't gain much traction, and Nintendo refuses to release Mother 3 int he West.

bluemask

Re: Suikoden II on PSN: Why it didn't became viral

Postby bluemask » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Reasons sound reasonable. Well, it's no surprise Konami didn't even tried having that mindset considering the franchise was already long silent was already dying. But I agree, if they were considerate enough to bring it to a more current platform, it might have been successful.

As for the rarity, I guess you have a point. Maybe its rarity was only due that it was a "hard to come by" game. And not like a gold mine waiting to be dug up. Saddening but can't be helped.

Return to “General Suikoden Discussion”