Leveraging Nostalgia

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
R_C_Cola2001

Leveraging Nostalgia

Post by R_C_Cola2001 »

Hello Everyone,

Been a long time since I've posted here. I'm notorious for trolling without posting. Anyways.

The success of Nintendo classic has shown Nintendo that the past is still a gold mine for them. A big part of Nintendo's past is JRPGs. I know a lot of folks here have petitioned Konami before for another Suikoden game, but has anyone ever approached Nintendo before asking for a new game in the series? With a brand new system coming out, and Nintendo looking to line up games that will draw new buyers, this might be a good time to remind them that the JRPG market is still a valuable market for them.

Just curious what peoples thoughts are about it?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Leveraging Nostalgia

Post by wataru14 »

They would have to purchase the rights to the franchise from Konami and then start investing in a property that they never were part of before. It would be cool, but I don't think they'd do it. Plus, if they turned the games into real-time combat (which seems to be the standard today) I think I would jump off a cliff somewhere.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JRPGs were actually never something Nintendo was really good at. What First Party JRPGs from Nintendo exist, anyway? Golden Sun, Xenoblade is now 1st party... and that's about it. Most of the NES/SNES era games came from Square or Enix and from the N64 onwards, JRPGs didn't really exist anymore on their consoles.

And actually, there are some JRPGs coming for the Switch already.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

And they took a huge steaming dump on Golden Sun when they came up with Dark Dawn.
R_C_Cola2001

Post by R_C_Cola2001 »

Looking at everyones post and then back at mine made me realize my wording was poor.

What I should have said is that Nintendo, when it had popular 3rd party JRPGs experienced a success that the sales of the classic suggest could be experienced again.

The idea is not to have Nintendo produce them, but request new entries in those franchises. I would argue that the idea of them having JRPGs on the console already suggests they are aware that the market for them exists. If you were told that a new Suikoden game was coming out exclusively for the Switch, would it convince you to buy one (assuming you weren't already)? If there are enough "yes" answers to that, it makes Nintendo's while to look into.

Sorry about the confusion. Oh, and I agree about the real time combat.