Do you find main hero's "protectors" more annoying than helpful?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Do you find main hero's "protectors" more annoying than helpful?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I have mention multiple times how much i dislike Gremio,Lyon,and Nanami by some degree. Especially Lyon is unaffordable,and it's a relief when Dolph "helps" you to get rid off her.

She's all the time "Prince!!" "Prince!!" "Prince!!"...and she follows you around in most of the game. Oh man Prince must be cursed. An annoying bodyguard and an annoying sister....well at least Lym isn't playable.She was pessimistic,she was acting depressed and she was being a prude most of the times. He had the patience of a saint indeed. If i was the Prince i'd DEMAND to have a different bodyguard. A really bad combination. Gremio's annoying motherly love + Nanami's bratiness = Lyon. 2 in 1. What creators were thinking? :x

She gives you the impression that she didn't leave the Prince's side not even when he wanted to take a sh*t literally. :mrgreen:

Anyway,even gameplay-wise they are pretty mediocre. Nanami and Lyon just have a good Unite attack with the hero. Gremio on the other hand.....he's one of the most useless fighters in the game.

Lazlo was a lucky bastard indeed. His 4 Knight friends weren't as sticky as other main hero's friends/servants or whatever. :lol:
gildedtalon

Re: Do you find main hero's "protectors" more annoying than helpful?

Post by gildedtalon »

Nanami and Lyon are actually the best characters in the game

Nanami with Double Beat, Fury, and Friendship on Weapon. Nanami's high speed and multistrike often. You can't top that until late in the game
Lyon is also a beast with her multistrike capability. I remember solo in the final dungeon is easiest with her
Lyon is pretty much similar to Nanami except Lyon has better stats than Nanami
The solo I'm talking about refers to Prince alone, Lyon alone, (Georg and Zweig)
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Dont want to be followed by cute grils...are you gay son? XD

Now seriously, Gremio was certainly kind of annoying (and not because he was a man XD) because the character itself is slightly annoying. Not a character I hate at all, but lot of times make me roll eyes. The other followers were pretty nice since they offered lot of funny (in case of Nanami) and cool (Lyon case) moments.

What bothers me about followers more than their pressence as a characters was their presence as party members. I mean, I don't mind Nanami/Lyon sticking around, but man, having them wasting a party slot...not that they were completly useless or something but there were lot of characters I'd rather have on the party.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Neclord X wrote:Dont want to be followed by cute grils...are you gay son? XD

Now seriously, Gremio was certainly kind of annoying (and not because he was a man XD) because the character itself is slightly annoying. Not a character I hate at all, but lot of times make me roll eyes. The other followers were pretty nice since they offered lot of funny (in case of Nanami) and cool (Lyon case) moments.

What bothers me about followers more than their pressence as a characters was their presence as party members. I mean, I don't mind Nanami/Lyon sticking around, but man, having them wasting a party slot...not that they were completly useless or something but there were lot of characters I'd rather have on the party.
Not gay,but i'm definetely not attracted by 16 year old girls who look 13.

Good thing with Gremio is you got rid of him pretty early.But Suikoden 1 was ridiculously easy,which means you could beat up final boss even with him in your party.

Suikoden 5 had this bizarre thing where another character was following you literally. Most of the times it was Lyon. I remember i even made a topic about it a few years ago
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Lyon is too much of an ass kisser. Miakis is so much more fun when she replaces Lyon as our bodyguard. Miakis is flirty and makes jokes, and she's got a better fighting style. She even makes fun of Lymsleia, who is the future queen of Falena, to her face. Why do we get the stiff and formal bodyguard?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Lyon is too much of an ass kisser. Miakis is so much more fun when she replaces Lyon as our bodyguard. Miakis is flirty and makes jokes, and she's got a better fighting style. She even makes fun of Lymsleia, who is the future queen of Falena, to her face. Why do we get the stiff and formal bodyguard?

Not ass-kisser exactly.

I'd say blind-loyal mostly. She's the "yes sir/ma'am!" type. Like Cius/Lelei/Isato/Matthias. But Lyon is more annoying than the others because we have to suffer ALL those scary long cutscenes with her being depressed and pessimistic.

Anyway by the fact she was a member of Nether Gate once,it's MORE THAN ENOUGH evidence to be considered dangerous and be removed from her position as a bodyguard. :mrgreen:

And yeah Miakis was funnier although she was getting depressed sometimes too.

Glad there are other people who dislike Lyon too. :mrgreen:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Of course Lyon is an ass kisser. You remember how she sucks up to you during the castle naming event? She makes Gremio's "very nice" speech look like an insult. Maybe next time I play S5, I'll name the HQ "My Bodyguard is a Twat" castle and see how she reacts.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Of course Lyon is an ass kisser. You remember how she sucks up to you during the castle naming event? She makes Gremio's "very nice" speech look like an insult. Maybe next time I play S5, I'll name the HQ "My Bodyguard is a Twat" castle and see how she reacts.
Basically she reacts negatively only to Boz's and Lucrecia's suggestions,and their suggestions won't be accepted.

Even if you call it "Lyon Is A Bitch" she'll agree with your choice. :lol:
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Miakis? Meh. I like Lyon. When I encountered Miakis in Doraat and she said she had to fight me, I literally shouted at the screen, "What the f**k are you doing? What the f**k is wrong with you?" Maybe that "duty to the Queen's Knights" nonsense makes sense in Japan but I was just "are you f**king KIDDING me right now?" Same thing with Galleon during the Queen's Campaign. One of the many things in that game that make me go "Huh????????"

Lyon genuinely loves the Prince. You can't not see that. If she's overeager to protect him it's because she wants to repay Ferid for saving her from a hellish life in Nether Gate and showing her the love she never got from anyone else. I think her story is beautiful.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

wataru14 wrote:I think her story is beautiful.
Too bad her face isn't.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

sticky-runes wrote:
wataru14 wrote:I think her story is beautiful.
Too bad her face isn't.
Yeah? Well Miakis' momma so old Jeane and Eresh went into the Big Hole to look for her birth certificate.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote: Lyon genuinely loves the Prince. You can't not see that. If she's overeager to protect him it's because she wants to repay Ferid for saving her from a hellish life in Nether Gate and showing her the love she never got from anyone else. I think her story is beautiful.
She ends up being EXTREMELY overprotective though. Also she acts very jealous if Prince interacts with other girls.

Like i said...i'm 100% sure she doesn't even let Prince to take a dump alone.

Not to mention her annoying bratty/crybaby voice tops everything...simply the creators managed to create the most annoying bodyguard ever existed. :x

Seriously,if i was the Prince and saw Dolph stabbing Lyon in front of me,i'd high-five him. He got me rid off a HUGE burden. :lol:
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Dolph should have been an SOD
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

gildedtalon wrote:Nanami and Lyon are actually the best characters in the game

Nanami with Double Beat, Fury, and Friendship on Weapon. Nanami's high speed and multistrike often. You can't top that until late in the game
Lyon is also a beast with her multistrike capability. I remember solo in the final dungeon is easiest with her
Lyon is pretty much similar to Nanami except Lyon has better stats than Nanami
The solo I'm talking about refers to Prince alone, Lyon alone, (Georg and Zweig)
Note that S5 has inflated stats compared to S2. But nonetheless, both Lyon and Nanami are similar.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Dolph should have been an SOD

Instead of Lyon? Definetely....S5 would go better in sales if it happened. :wink: