Arrogance in characters

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Arrogance in characters

Post by sticky-runes »

What are some times you notice characters being arrogant and smug, and how does it make you feel about those characters?

Zamza is an obvious choice for an arrogant character because of the way he speaks so highly about himself. Though I hardly ever use him in my party because his personal rune nearly always kills him (I know there are ways to avoid fire damage) and because he doesn't have a good rapport with any other characters, it makes him all the more unappealing to me.

Then Viktor has his moments where he brags about himself, but he actually is a very useful character. Cleo makes fun of him, but even she admits that the Liberation army is at a huge handicap without him, to which he responds "Yeah, I know. You're all useless without me." I find that Viktor's arrogance is a big part of what makes him likable, because its more like a playful part of his personality. He expects the woman at Jowston Hill to recognize his face and let him pass, but she doesn't, and he ends up feeling offended. But we know that Viktor is a capable person and a key player throughout the story and there's a lot of stuff we can't get done without his support, so he's kind of entitled to be arrogant, and he's arrogant in a humorous way, not an insufferable way.
Neclord X

Re: Arrogance in characters

Post by Neclord X »

Zamza is great because he is the only cool guy accessable that point of the game and one of the best mages...then is pointless. But I pretty much I liked him.

In general I liked all the arrogant characters because they were arrogant in a enchanting way, with ONE exception. Snowe, I'd let that dude sink in the sea for everything I care.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Snowe wasn't all that arrogant. He acted the way that was expected if him because his dad built him up to be this dashing prince of razril, but he couldn't live up to anyone's expectations, and he scorned our attempts to reconcile with him because he knew what a failure he was and didn't want to admit it, but he does admit it in the end, and when we see him again in tactics he's become a much more humble person because he's no longer trying to live up to a high rank or status.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:What are some times you notice characters being arrogant and smug, and how does it make you feel about those characters?

Zamza is an obvious choice for an arrogant character because of the way he speaks so highly about himself. Though I hardly ever use him in my party because his personal rune nearly always kills him (I know there are ways to avoid fire damage) and because he doesn't have a good rapport with any other characters, it makes him all the more unappealing to me.

Then Viktor has his moments where he brags about himself, but he actually is a very useful character. Cleo makes fun of him, but even she admits that the Liberation army is at a huge handicap without him, to which he responds "Yeah, I know. You're all useless without me." I find that Viktor's arrogance is a big part of what makes him likable, because its more like a playful part of his personality. He expects the woman at Jowston Hill to recognize his face and let him pass, but she doesn't, and he ends up feeling offended. But we know that Viktor is a capable person and a key player throughout the story and there's a lot of stuff we can't get done without his support, so he's kind of entitled to be arrogant, and he's arrogant in a humorous way, not an insufferable way.

1) I used to find Zamza pretty cool when i played Suikoden 2 for the first time. Then when i managed to recruit him for the first time i went really ecstatic truth is. His clothing and his general style were very unique.
But anyway gameplay-wise Zamza fades away after Two-River arc,since better characters than him are gonna join you by this point of the game.

2) I never thought Viktor as arrogant. Basically Nanami was the arrogant one. She thought Riou was unable to protect himself without her presence. Also by the fact she calls herself "big sister" whilst she had the same age with Riou...pretty much says it all. :|

sticky-runes wrote:Snowe wasn't all that arrogant. He acted the way that was expected if him because his dad built him up to be this dashing prince of razril, but he couldn't live up to anyone's expectations, and he scorned our attempts to reconcile with him because he knew what a failure he was and didn't want to admit it, but he does admit it in the end, and when we see him again in tactics he's become a much more humble person because he's no longer trying to live up to a high rank or status.
Snowe is an interesting character. It would be nice to know his story after being exiled from Razril, because S4 is unfortunately very undeveloped when it comes to main plot. Only first part of the game (till you leave from the desert island) is kinda more developed. Imagine after you leave Obel for the first time,you will be back in just few hours.

So i wonder how he was accepted by other Pirates and became one,since a little while ago he was fighting against them...and after being defeated for the 2nd time..how he ended up floating on a driftwood?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Viktor is a humble and laid back guy who will share a drink with his buddies and stay up and tell stories and generally behave like a normal friendly guy, and he stands up for his friends, he just has his moments where he acts big headed, normally for a laugh.

I wonder if snowe was able to win over his own pirate crew by putting on his noble leader act that he'd try to display when he was with the knights. Could be that a lot of pirates had given up on their plundering because of the war breaking out all over the seas, and snowe was able to convince them to follow him. I think he desparately wanted to prove himself and show that he was worthy of being a leader as much as his former friend lazlo by this point.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I used to really hate Snowe, but ever since I heard this community's opinion on him I think he's not that bad of a person after all :D
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually i hated Snowe as well....but ONLY in the begining. Once he turned against me i started to find him cool. Same thing with Jowy when he "betrayed" Riou.

I thought Snowe would be your clingy protector.... :mrgreen: