Favorite Archer from each game

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Favorite Archer from each game

Post by sticky-runes »

Who is your favorite archer from each Suikoden game? (including bows and crossbows, but no guns or projectiles or anything else, and Stars of Destiny only, so no Odessa or any other temporary allies)

Suikoden 1: Ruby
Hard hitter and good magician. I like Kirkis and Sylvina, but their relationship is :roll:

Suikoden 2: Kinnison
Because he comes with Shiro and wears a badass scarf.

Suikoden 3: Aila
I like Jaques as well, but Aila's got that feisty tribal personality, a bit like a young Lucia. Shame about that horrible modern outfit she changes into, her Karayan outfit looks much better.

Suikoden 4: Ted
It was nice to see him as a full fledged Star of Destiny.

Suikoden Tactics: Flare
A lot tougher than she was in S4, and has some good combo attacks.

Suikoden 5: Lu
Her wind up double crossbow is awesome and she's my favorite gadget girl of the whole series. Can't really argue with the "Captain of the cute girls that go dink-dink-dink Brigade".
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Favorite Archer from each game

Post by Wolkendrache »

Tactics: Frederica. Her artwork in S4 sucked, but she's the most beautiful girl in Tactics. Besides, she kicks ass gameplay-wise. 8)

Archers are very limited, there's only a handful in each game, so why not including projectiles as separate "voting" (it doesn't have to be mixed with bows)?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Suikoden I: Lorelai

The multi talented dominatrix. Does she really need further explanation?

Suikoden II: Kinnison

Always my first choice, mainly due to the lack of archers in this game. He's a like a tree hugging, colourful Jon Snow.

Suikoden III: Jacques

Weird in a cool way and deadly to boot with his long shot.

Suikoden IV: Ted

Pretty much what Sticky said.

Suikoden V: NONE

Due to the formations I always went all out attack with steel. Brawn over brains in a nation ruled by the ladies for this one.

Slim pickings with archers in the series.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Wolkendrache wrote:Tactics: Frederica. she's the most beautiful girl in Tactics
Wow, someone who shares the same opinion with me. I always thought I'm the only one who loves Frederica :mrgreen: I always give her the Giant Owl(armored) :D
I also like Jeane, she always looks beautiful to me in every game except S3 :oops:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Suikoden 1: Honestly, I don't remember any bow uses aside of Stallion and I hate Stallion

Suikoden 2: Ayda, for...ejem, reasons.

Suikoden 3: Jacques, that is not only my favorite Suikoden archer but one of my favorite characters in general.

Suikoden 4: I'm afraid I don't remember an archer from this one either except Ted

Suikoden 5: Lu...for reasons

In general I don't use archers very much...or projectile characters in general, unless they have some other interesting feature like magical potential. Ranged damage dealers are not a big deal in Suikoden series a row of warriors, a row of mages and/or médium range characters and...that's it.

I'm still mad at how much Clive sucks, he has no magic, not specially high HP or defenses, and a shot with his weapon sharpen as much as posible with thunder rune imbued doesn't even do half the damage a mid tier spell from a mage does. And with the spell you hit all the enemies not just one.

In SIII and V was the same, a warrior can hit really hard, a mage can hit multiple targets, but ranged damage dealers don't do much damage.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Bows are a little disappointing in Suikoden, and I’m not speaking of gameplay. Other weapons often have awesome names like Prakk, Storm, Sakura, King Crimson, Judgment, Kirinji, Odessa+, Shadowbane, Fenrir, etc. Some of these weapons are legendary. There are no or almost no respective bows. They have boring names like light bow, elfin bow or steel bow. No bows with a history behind it. We don’t even have a character explicitly described as an excellent and famous archer like Hua Rong in the original novel or Robin Hood or Legolas or so. We only have famous sword fighters like Georg, or someone nicknamed Divine Spear. Suikoden bow users have bows because it fits to their environment (“forest characters” like elves, rangers and some adventurers) and that’s about it.

Gameplay-wise I think Tactics was the only game in which archers were really useful, and I mean for their archery.
gildedtalon wrote:
Wolkendrache wrote:Tactics: Frederica. she's the most beautiful girl in Tactics
Wow, someone who shares the same opinion with me. I always thought I'm the only one who loves Frederica :mrgreen: I always give her the Giant Owl(armored) :D
I also like Jeane, she always looks beautiful to me in every game except S3 :oops:
I love how you wandered from “favorite archer” to “sexiest female” in no more than 2 lines. Thumbs up! :D
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, thanks for randomly bringing up Jeane in a topic about archers :roll:

I'll get my own back when somebody starts a topic about spearsmen.

Hmm, it seems the best archery "moments" (as in storyline events) in suikoden rarely belong to SOD characters.

S2 had Luca Blight being barraged constantly with arrows from our generic archers, and S5 had Roy being shot to death by Guisu's bowmen.

I guess the Alma Kinan girls deserve a little credit.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

sticky-runes wrote:and S5 had Roy being shot to death by Guisu's bowmen.
That's totally your fault for refusing to flood the castle. But between the two of us, I'd have done the same if wasn't because I knew it would lead to a bad end. :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Neclord X wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:and S5 had Roy being shot to death by Guisu's bowmen.
That's totally your fault for refusing to flood the castle. But between the two of us, I'd have done the same if wasn't because I knew it would lead to a bad end. :lol:
If it's a choice between fighting two intense major battles and a dramatic death scene, or hiding under a rock and watching Rahal dress up in drag to distract the Godwin soldiers, I think I know which scenario I'd prefer. Better off letting Lyon snuff it as well, Roy seems more interested in putting up with her than I am.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

In S1 my favourites are Odessa and Lorelai. They are the same character in different colours anyway. And they are both amongst my favourite Suikoden ladies.

In S2 my favourite is Kinnison, the awesome dude who lives in the forest.