Suikoden I and II Challenge Runs and Speed Runs

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

Suikoden I and II Challenge Runs and Speed Runs

Post by Rooks »

OK, just quickly here:

I'm pretty busy right now, but coming this summer, I want to bring more active attention to Suikoden I and II nuzzlocke-style challenge runs and Speed Runs. If this goes well, we can then actually work with SDA and the folks over there to establish a world record for speed runs. Also, with so many former players playing through them again on PSone classics, this may be a good way to energize the community. I bring it up here first for several reasons:

1. Categories and rules for each category are decided by the community, and the SDA etc. community for Suikoden is not too active. So, we would need to establish categories with people who know the games the best, which would be us.

2. We are working on some YouTube content, but I have a ton of stuff going on personally right now, and also whatever residual work is left as we re-assess goals and look forward to the Aus and NZ releases.

So: One common category is "Any%." Meaning just to reach the ending sequence as fast as possible. Timer starts as soon as the player makes an input, and ends after the last input made by the player before the ending sequence. We may want to add a "Glitchless Any%" as well, as armor swapping and other glitches often come into play. Another common category is "100%" but we would be free to decide what that would mean. Obviously all Stars would be included, but would all treasure chests be included as well?

These would be closely related to a Nuzzlocke-style challenge run of the two games, were we can make up arbitrary rules to make the games harder.

Give this some thought, and I will too over the next month, then we can hopefully come to some rules and conclusions. Before contacting SDA and other organizations, it would be best to have some rules set up and several categories ready to go so we can seem like we know what we are doing.

Also, SI would be heavily dependant on getting the Holy Rune right off the bat. However, we could make like a "Holy Any%" category which starts at the inn in Gregminster at the start of the game with a holy rune on Tir. This would allow people to farm the Rune as soon as they have full control, while not having that time effect the time of the run.
Roshambeaux

Re: Suikoden I and II Challenge Runs and Speed Runs

Post by Roshambeaux »

As far as restrictions go, here are some of my suggestions:

- You can only visit one shop in one town for one time only.
- You can't purchase any runes, but you may share any of the initially attached runes on the characters that you recruit.
- You can only recruit a SoD or a group in one location, one time.

EDIT 1

- Using the storage room is not allowed
- If storyline characters have died once, but are compulsory party members, then all of their equipment and rune(s) are removed or no longer used. Other characters can no longer be added to the party after they die once. The only exceptions are the unwinnable battles such as Rowd and the initial encounter against Neclord in Suikoden 2.
- No sacrificial jizos
A raw tomato for the win!
s21

Post by s21 »

just for reference, you can see speedruns of suikoden 1,2,4 in here http://www.speedrun.com/suikodenseries

although this 108% suiko2 run isn't inserted in there yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfy-SQj1hq8
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

s21 wrote:just for reference, you can see speedruns of suikoden 1,2,4 in here http://www.speedrun.com/suikodenseries

although this 108% suiko2 run isn't inserted in there yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfy-SQj1hq8
Thanks for the post!
A raw tomato for the win!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

The speedrun community for the games though is somewhat inadequate, which leads to my points:

Specific categories must be created, and we would perhaps even have to ban official versions of the game if this was to move forward. And indeed, record holders should not be making their own rules to begin with. For example: I could have the "World Record" tomorrow if I wanted, all it would require is to boot up the PSP version of the game and run it, as it runs as 1.5x speed and has 8-way movement, making even a casual run much faster than anything even an experienced speedrunner could do. This community is lacking in the more extensive knowledge with which to set categories, limits and rules. Also, PS3 PSN copies now have framerate issues with Unite Attacks and some sprite-count moments. While most of the Vita emulation appears fine except some reports of random crashing. This would need to be discussed at length, as well as possible inclusion or exclusion of turbo controllers, which give an obvious advantage, and are simply not available for PS3, PSP, and Vita. PC Emulation is clearly out, and watching some of these runs makes me wonder what these people are playing on, as RAM discs can offer instant load-times, with some tweaking, etc. This here is the most knowledgeable community for the games and their various versions.

Honestly, though, I am much more interested in setting up challenge runs, some of which we can find here, but having simplified rules and a cleaner presentation would be nice. Also, any new ideas would be welcome.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

6h 26m 37s
Wow, my shortest run was around 19 hours

I checked a bit the video...just random parts...how can he have that stats without grinding? 500 HP Riou and 300 HP in Luc, the last spell on non-mage characters? How? :shock: