I need 108 stars.

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: I need 108 stars.

Post by sticky-runes »

The boy in shorts actually succeeded in defeating Troy in single combat.
The guy in black armour with the big horned helmet was given two opportunities in two different games to confront his nemesis Yuber and... oh, nothing happened.
The clothes do not make the man.

It grates me that people bitch about Suikoden 4 not having interesting enough characters, yet they appreciate characters like Pesmerga.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Wrong. They bitch about S4 for the same reason they bitch about Pesmerga: characters not elaborated. I liked the Lazlo and Troy plot more than the even more incomplete Pesmerga and Yuber one, but finding and defeating a merely strong guy who dares dueling you is easier than a guy with a True Rune who teleports away whenever you’re getting close (which doesn’t make their plot better, I know).

Btw, I have an idea for a character: It’s a bloodsucking black knight who starts cheesy relationships with a couple of ladies in your army. He’ll have a lot of conversation, and he’ll talk in Egbert Aethelbald style, but you can’t skip the dialogue. You’ll meet him relatively early when he steals all your money, and when he joins later he’ll call you small fry. He’ll be forced into the party for most of the game and inflicts the unfriendly status on all allies. Did I forget something?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Wolkendrache wrote:Wrong. They bitch about S4 for the same reason they bitch about Pesmerga: characters not elaborated. I liked the Lazlo and Troy plot more than the even more incomplete Pesmerga and Yuber one, but finding and defeating a merely strong guy who dares dueling you is easier than a guy with a True Rune who teleports away whenever you’re getting close (which doesn’t make their plot better, I know).
You've got a point there. But don't worry, we thought about that too, and we plan to give more flesh to Troy. The Laszlo/Troy conflict will be hinted from the start and reminded to the player during the course of the game. Troy is also interesting because he's not a 100% bad guy, he's one of these lovely Suikoden antagonists who's not bad the bone but happens to have chosen the wrong side. Sticky and I already concluded that the Laszlo/Troy conflict should be given much more space.
In a way, Troy is the Laszlo of Kooluk. It is the old literary theme of someone fighting their nemesis, their image through a distortion mirror, they shadow. Troy and Laszlo need to recognize a lot of themselves in each other. It will make their relationship and feud very interesting, and their final duel a real climax to something the player actually enjoyed.
As sticky said, we are not here to give lessons to Konami on how we make the game better than they did. The policy of the S4 story rewriting is merely to point out every missed occasion for something good and fill that void with something that can touch the player. The policy is based on what I said in my review of S4 in this very forum: S4 is the best Suikoden game of the series but what they released is merely the demo version of it. We're going to finish the job, not teach them how to do better... But yeah, perhaps our Laszlo/Troy will teach them how to do their Pesmerga/Yuber right :P
Wolkendrache wrote:Btw, I have an idea for a character: It’s a bloodsucking black knight who starts cheesy relationships with a couple of ladies in your army. He’ll have a lot of conversation, and he’ll talk in Egbert Aethelbald style, but you can’t skip the dialogue. You’ll meet him relatively early when he steals all your money, and when he joins later he’ll call you small fry. He’ll be forced into the party for most of the game and inflicts the unfriendly status on all allies. Did I forget something?
The voice actor also has a nasal high pitched obnoxious voice, and anytime he's forced into your party just before a bossfight he's in the back row even though he has an S weapon and you are not offered the chance to change your formation.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

So he can't attack physically, and his spells have a backfire chance of 100%. When he's in the party, he will insult the enemies all the time, causing the Fury status on them.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I agree. It was the driftwood that made the man. The outfit just made Lazlo look like he'd dressed nostalgically in the first play-clothes he was given many years ago, before escaping from Neverland Ranch.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

You guys act like riou (my favorite character) was dressed any better. The kid was wearing tight leggings for crying out loud!
BrucePrintscreen

ENDmyinitials wrote:You guys act like riou (my favorite character) was dressed any better. The kid was wearing tight leggings for crying out loud!
And a tiara :lol:
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:You guys act like riou (my favorite character) was dressed any better. The kid was wearing tight leggings for crying out loud!
And a tiara :lol:
Lmao
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've got a question relating to the topic now - will it still be okay to use the in-depth analysis boards to bring up topics relating to characters and storyline events from the original Suikoden 4? This is may be for research purposes in case we need help retelling parts of the story, but it's still information that could be useful to people not involved with the project.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

If you're actually soliciting opinions or information from the broader user group, I don't see why not. As long as the question fits in with the purpose of the section you post it in, I can't imagine it being a problem for anyone. With the proviso that the boards not become clogged with inane threads about (e.g.) the best way to represent Troy's bad-assery when your cut-scenes are 32x32 sprites.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'm not likely to inundate the boards with threads like that, a lot of the artwork and story telling is being worked on privately anyway, its just there might be certain back story events i might not be very clear on, and i sometimes find it better to ask for other people's interpretation of them.
BrucePrintscreen

We do not plan to publish samples of the rewritten story because it would spoil the pleasure of potential players. If someone wants to help on this, the only thing they can do is to provide me with a sort of script of Suikoden IV as it exists, so I can use it as a backbone to see where we add stuff and have perspective on it. It would also allow me to do the essential part of any writing work: trimming down your own ideas!