Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ENDmyinitials

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Okay :) I replied. Anyone else would like to help? I'm deciding on what spriting style I should use.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ENDmyinitials wrote:What are you good at highwind? I like the ideas. I forgot s4 didn't have the rune swords or suikoden 4, and 5 skill system.
Also, a lot of magic runes don't appear in 4. Some that I would like to see:

- Blue Gate
- Resurrection
- Darkness
- Shield Rune

Also, some command runes. I would like a command rune system like in Tactics with different levels - but that's just an idea as stuff like that would come pretty much at the end I guess.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote: Also, a lot of magic runes don't appear in 4. Some that I would like to see:

- Resurrection
There was actually. Well, only by cheat device and it didn't work but obviously they thought of including it at least so that's reasonable enough to put in a re/de-make.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Antimatzist wrote: Also, a lot of magic runes don't appear in 4. Some that I would like to see:

- Resurrection
There was actually. Well, only by cheat device and it didn't work but obviously they thought of including it at least so that's reasonable enough to put in a re/de-make.
Really? I didn't know that! Did it have any spells or was it just there?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It had spells but they didn't work. It was also more literally translated as Evil-Purifying Rune.

There's also a Balance Rune in the game that can be coded in but because there's no unbalance status in the game it does squat, if it even works.
Similarily there's also Wall, Gale and Hawk Runes but only Gale seems to actually work properly.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I found a cheat list with all available runes, there's also True Holy? That's certtainlyinteresting.

And with only 4 enemies in the game being undead (the Skeletons and Unicorns in Obel Ruins), I see why they left out the rune, but still, Suikoden IV is far too limiting concerning your choice of runes.

Now I will have to test if these runes were translated in the German version. :D
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Surely Cedric is the True Holy Rune user?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:Surely Cedric is the True Holy Rune user?
Well, he's not a battle character so there's no character who comes with an equipped True Holy Rune so this is interesting. Maybe Cedric was first intended as a battle character or maybe they just created the runes as placeholders before the characters, who knows.

Interestingly, Cedric doesn't have a True Holy Rune equipped in Tactics...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

But I thought simply recruiting Cedric enabled the player to run faster and use the ship faster for the rest of the game, it's not like the True Holy Rune had any use besides moving faster in the other games. Weird that they left the true holy rune out of Tactics, though. I guess it got retconned as a natural skill?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Who has spriting skills?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:But I thought simply recruiting Cedric enabled the player to run faster and use the ship faster for the rest of the game, it's not like the True Holy Rune had any use besides moving faster in the other games. Weird that they left the true holy rune out of Tactics, though. I guess it got retconned as a natural skill?
Yes, it's a skill in the game. Cedric also says in the comment box that he wears the True Holy Rune.

Sorry for the Off-Topic, ENDmyinitials!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

It's okay, it's relevant to suikoden 4. I would like to change some stuff within the game. If Cedric was playable in suikoden tactics, then he should be usable in S4 with the holy rune. I also want to change the 4 party battle and the removal of SML. I am still debating whether or not I should go with the suikoden 1, and 2 related sprites, and the mapping style. The mapping will be a bit hard to emulate, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Mapping will be boring as ther eis little to explore in IV. maybe you should make the map altogether smaller with bigger islands instead? How do you want to emulate the "invisible barriers" or do you want that the map is fully explorable from the beginning? It would be nice to see Iluya before the destruction.

What do you want instead of SML?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

SML meaning the short medium and long formation, I missed that :( you bring up a good point I also thought about that. There are islands in that game that you can't even land on like gaiden, but you can land in razril. I was thinking about landing on the island as well like in final fantasy 6 world map, or any other final fantasy game. My complaint about the mapping is the coloring and shading style, looks very nice, but I never colored or shaded that way, but it would be a great learning experience I suppose. The sooner I finish final fantasy 7 demo, the better. This project will be huge, but if I can get characters done, and moving, and show some battles, then I can should you guys this isn't just all talk, lol.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The maps shouldn't be too hard to re-imagine in 2d, as all the entrances in Suikoden 4 are south facing any way; all the shores and docks are on the southern edge of the islands, all the doors to all the houses are on the south, the whole layout looks as if it was intended for a top down RPG.

You could probably even use textures from 1 and 2. Obel architecture looks sort of similar to South Window, for example. Na Nal looks a bit like Greenhill and Razril could probably be put together from bits and pieces of Rockaxe.

The ships might be difficult, as I don't think 1 and 2 had any boat interiors, but take a look at how a lot of other RPGs have done ships (Golden Sun and Alundra, for example).