Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Roshambeaux

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by Roshambeaux »

If we do use any music from other suikoden games, it might be an idea to use S1's elf music for the elf part of Na Nal. We could probably even use the Celtic rendition to make it a bit different.
I'd definitely would like to hear a sort of remastered version of Mysterious Forest, which was the Village of the Elves' music theme.
ProTools is what you need to fidget with music. Audacity is very generic.
Here's an example of what ProTools is capable of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVhsIcy4cc

It's not Jazz Fusion, but how do you feel about Latin Jazz, Bruce? Have you ever heard this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_KVfcOYfuw
A raw tomato for the win!
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:How about re-using the music in S1 that is used on the island of Leknaat? Cause it's a super great music that is only used very briefly and I always thought it was such a waste.
Sounds like a great idea!

We should think about using a lot of the underused/obscure music from the other games. So, if you guys know of anymore you want to hear, post it here in the topic :wink: !
Roshambeaux wrote:
BrucePrintscreen wrote:ProTools is what you need to fidget with music. Audacity is very generic.
Here's an example of what ProTools is capable of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVhsIcy4cc
ProTools sounds lke a good program, but from what I researched, it neither supports Ogg nor FLAC files which is what I'll need for looping the music.

If you guys know of either a ProTools version that supports Ogg and FLAC, a plug-in that gets ProTools to except Ogg and FLAC files, or a way to convert FLAC to MP3 with as little loss as possible, let me know and I'll recommend its use to END.
Roshambeaux wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:If we do use any music from other suikoden games, it might be an idea to use S1's elf music for the elf part of Na Nal. We could probably even use the Celtic rendition to make it a bit different.
I'd definitely would like to hear a sort of remastered version of Mysterious Forest, which was the Village of the Elves' music theme.
Another set of great ideas!

That said, because the Celtic version sounds too cheery, I'm not too partial to its use, though; it doesn't feel like it fits the tone and atmosphere of Na Nal's Elven Village. How about this version: Genso Suikoden Arrange Collection Vol. 1 1:2 - Mysterious Forest instead? Although, now that I think about it, we could always use the Celtic version once Na Nal is liberated; does that sound like a good compromise?

(As a side note, if I was ever doing a Suikoden I Remake, I'd use this version of Mysterious Forest for it's destroyed phase: Genso Suikoden Piano Collection Mysterious Forest [Genso Suikoden].)

That all said, if there's a song you liked, but I didn't think I'd fit, I'll still loop it for you. That way, you can personally mod the game for yourself. I've personally changed songs I didn't like in games where changing songs is possible, so I have no true reason not to help you guys out with your choices, this being a community based project and all; I'll just loop them after I do the one's for project.

-------

Speaking of Na Nal, I think it absolutely needs an overhaul!

When I first heard about the Na Nalese being such a strong, stubborn people, I thought Na Nal would have the look to back that up, but nope, looks and sounds just about as boring as Nay's Human Settlement is supposed to be. If anything, I think the current Na Nal, except for the Elven part, could become a new Island Nation (because the Island Nations seriously needs more islands, at the very least) and then the Na Nalese should get the Island Nation they deserve.

I was thinking an island topped with a long-since dormant volcano would best represent the tone and atmosphere of the Na Nalese storyline. Axel could even have a some lines saying something like, "Even though the volcano that once created this island lies dormant, the Na Nalese can no long afford to be! Although we all hope that our volcano never erupts again, we Na Nalese must become our home island's eruption, creating new opportunities for our Island Nations just like our volcanic home created for us!". We could even do a situation like with Greenhill where the overhauled Na Nal has a happy song at first (even though Greenhill uses it's occupation song for it's preoccupation phase) and use the Na Nalese Town music for it's occupation phase because that song sounds like something that represents what Cray and the Governor of El Eal would have planned for Na Nal.

Along with the Island Nation of Mordo (which should also get expand as well, especially that mountian), the current Na Nal could always become an optional island to explore instead of being of storyline importance. Also, the Island Nations, at the very least, needs one active volcano dungeon as an optional place to visit; it's a just proper place to have. Also, the volcano dungeon had me thinking of Wind Waker with it's snow and ice mini-dungeon. So, I was thinking maybe a new optional Island Nation topped with snowy mountains might work as a vacation spot similar to what Mordo is supposed to be.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

HolyPaladin wrote: I'd definitely would like to hear a sort of remastered version of Mysterious Forest, which was the Village of the Elves' music theme.

That said, because the Celtic version sounds too cheery, I'm not too partial to its use, though; it doesn't feel like it fits the tone and atmosphere of Na Nal's Elven Village. How about this version: Genso Suikoden Arrange Collection Vol. 1 1:2 - Mysterious Forest instead? Although, now that I think about it, we could always use the Celtic version once Na Nal is liberated; does that sound like a good compromise?
That version sounds a bit Kate Bushy (which isn't entirely bad!) but if somebody could remove the vocals it could make a good tense theme for when the elf elder captures us and talks about his plot.

the Celtic version to me doesn't sound particularly happy or sad, I think it would work all right for when you're just casually exploring the place. It might also work nicely if we add any scenes between Paula and Selma. I wouldn't really want to use the original version from the first game, though, as it really does give the impression of a doomed village inhabited by people blissfully unaware of their situation, and the elven tree in S4 doesn't quite meet that same fate!
HolyPaladin wrote:
Speaking of Na Nal, I think it absolutely needs an overhaul!
AGREED. With the map designs, I am trying to stay as close as possible to the architecture of the original game, but Na Nal is the one place that I would make drastic changes to. The village design does not suit the people at all. It looks like some quaint little village in Devon. I was thinking of giving it a more primitive look, maybe use some Celtic or Norse influences, to get a more tribal theme going on. The gathering square can remain, because it looks like an area used for training warriors.

I'm sure we could add some volcanic elements. I wouldn't want it to look too obvious, like Zelda's Death Mountain, but the original island does seem to have some volcanic looking areas, like the gorge between the human town and elf tree, and I believe the bath they have in Na Nal is a natural hot spring?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Paladin, loop Razril's town theme. I'm going to put the town together with what Sticky as drawn, and have some npcs roam the streets.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Guys I know this might get me into serious trouble, and it might even sound ridiculous, but I started a kickstarter for the project. With a kickstarter I can hire spriters, and coders to help us with the project. This would speed up the process by a lot. If it doesn't work then it's okay because I know we can do this as a community, but more help is always a good thing when dealing with 108 characters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97 ... -iv-demake

Donation is only 1 dollar or more. The goal is 8,000.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

ENDmyinitials wrote:Paladin, loop Razril's town theme. I'm going to put the town together with what Sticky as drawn, and have some npcs roam the streets.
I'll get started right away, but...
ENDmyinitials wrote:Guys I know this might get me into serious trouble, and it might even sound ridiculous, but I started a kickstarter for the project. With a kickstarter I can hire spriters, and coders to help us with the project. This would speed up the process by a lot. If it doesn't work then it's okay because I know we can do this as a community, but more help is always a good thing when dealing with 108 characters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97 ... -iv-demake

Donation is only 1 dollar or more. The goal is 8,000.
I suggest taking this down immediately or they're will be no point in us doing anything else. Remember that I've been around remakes before; thet got shut down without take donations, and as this is taking donations, I'll probably seen as worst thing than those other remakes. We don't own Suikoden and putting Suikosource name on the project page could get the site in major trouble.

So, for all parties involved, take down the Kickstarter before it gains any traction. I know for myself that I'm in this for the long haul and I'm sure the others are as well; we can make this project great one step at a time, but only if we're told not stop it forever. Besides that, I seen other fan games attract talent for free by just the merits of the project alone, so no matter how long it takes as long as we have something actually built and running near flawless in VX, we can attract talent on our own.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

You're right paladin.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I cancelled it.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

ENDmyinitials wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:You're right paladin.
I cancelled it.
Thanks. I'm sorry to have to be right about this; I'm so excited about this project due to how viable it is that I'm even skittish about releasing a demo. But trust me, we will make this work.

I think sticky has the right idea about how to approach this project; we build the project storyline arc by storyline arc until it's done. Besides that, Suikoden IV has the distinction of introducing all three battle system in the first half hour (truly less than even that). Therefore, the foundation of the Demake can be focused on first and the really tedious work of building all the necessary sprites can be put off until much later. Besides, I think once we have the foundation of the project built, any of us on the team can build skeletons of, at least, the neutral sprites that can then be further adjusted by you and Hermit. Also, I need to learn spriting anyway for one of my own personal projects. So, I'm eager to try my hand at learning how to spriting, as well.
HolyPaladin wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:Paladin, loop Razril's town theme. I'm going to put the town together with what Sticky as drawn, and have some npcs roam the streets.
I'll get started right away
Actually, if you can, can you send me that song via e-mail? I'll be busy between Thursday early morning to Saturday evening this week, but if you sound me Razril's song, I'll get on it as soon as possible.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

We need more spriters, haha.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've just had a closer look at Glen's sprite, and he looks shorter then Katarina because of her bun. Would it be possible to make Glen slightly taller and broader? I'd like him to look imposing because he's the man in charge of all the knights at the beginning, so if his presence made more of an impact during his relatively short time with us, it would be awesome.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I also noticed that sticky.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

I'm about to leave for the day; should be back late afternoon so I can get the Razril song.

Have a great day, you guys! :wink:
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sticky-runes wrote:I've just had a closer look at Glen's sprite, and he looks shorter then Katarina because of her bun. Would it be possible to make Glen slightly taller and broader? I'd like him to look imposing because he's the man in charge of all the knights at the beginning, so if his presence made more of an impact during his relatively short time with us, it would be awesome.
Don't make her look too short, though. Cause she's supposed to be tall and slender and elegant and dignified, remember how we plan to Valerianize her?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:I've just had a closer look at Glen's sprite, and he looks shorter then Katarina because of her bun. Would it be possible to make Glen slightly taller and broader? I'd like him to look imposing because he's the man in charge of all the knights at the beginning, so if his presence made more of an impact during his relatively short time with us, it would be awesome.
Don't make her look too short, though. Cause she's supposed to be tall and slender and elegant and dignified, remember how we plan to Valerianize her?
We're not talking about making Kat shorter, we're talking about making Glen bigger. He's not only her superior officer, but her father as well. That would be like having Flare taller then Lino.