Wishlisst for new suikoden game

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Roshambeaux

Re: Wishlisst for new suikoden game

Post by Roshambeaux »

I was thinking another interesting addition to the Rune Unite system was to have a way to overcome opposite elements not having unites. Since one of Suikoden's basic principles is the bonds between others overcome impossible odds, I was thinking that characters who have or come to have unbreakable bonds can overcome the opposition system and unite opposite elements. These unites would be more powerful than the harmonious ones due to being opposites but would come at a great cost; maybe it'll cost more MP but worth that cost and/or since the unite comes from people with unbreakable bond, perhaps the unite can strain but no break that connection and cause the Unfriendly status between the Unite participants for a few rounds.
I'd like to see an example of this. Also, what do you guys think of the Endurance game mechanic that I suggested? (Description of this is posted above)
A raw tomato for the win!
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

Armor Protect Skill Requirement: Defense(A)
Description: Increases DEF value of equipment except accessories, and raises durability of equipment.
E(2%),D(5%),C(8%),B(10%),A(15%),S(20%)

Armor Durability:
Premier(Armor Name): +20%
New(Armor Name): +10%
No Description(Armor Name): +/-0%
Old(Armor Name): -10%
Worn-Out(Armor Name): -20%

Armor doesn't break, but overtime, the quality of the armor will decrease(by getting attacked) and compromise the DEF value of the equipment. You can go to a blacksmith or a tailor to repair or improve the quality of the equipment. You'll need specific, but easy to find items in order to upgrade equipment.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

I really like the idea as a whole; it also opens up the possibility of weather-effects and other things. So, in a storm, Water, Wind, and Lightning are boosted slightly, while Fire and Earth are reduced slightly. Mountainous terrain on a sunny day could boost Earth, Fire, and Lightning, wile Wind and Water are reduced, etc. Also, it allows for some character-development-through-gameplay, as people from the Island Nations would be at their best on hot, sunny days, and people from Camaro could be better in snowy weather, etc.
Maybe certain field element compositions could trigger benefits for the characters depending on their land of origin. If Fire and Earth are at 30 percent, Lilly STR stat would go up by 25% and would be immune to negative status effects for as long as those percentages remain intact. Reed and Samus would also get bonuses as well since they're also from the same area. To create some sort of balance, characters who are weaker statistically would get greater benefits, and the elemental compositions would be easier to manipulate.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Wishlist for a new Tactics game:

In-battle save like Vandal Hearts 1 so you can save progress whenever you want - none of that quick save which quits the game crap.

Mounts that are actually useful. And make them named characters as well. Lets see dragon knights and dragonhorses in a Tactics game, or Mantors.

And don't give us key battles where we can only use 6 characters. I know 6 is the traditional Suikoden party number, but getting to the throne room with only 6 characters was annoying when we've had battles that allow us to use up to 12 characters.

And give us more than one thief and treasure hunter.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

So here's how I'd like the battle menu to look like:

Battle Menu 1
Fight
Bribe
Escape/Let Go
Scout: If you bring someone who has the Analyze skill, then you'll be able to look at detailed information on the enemy party and then decide to either fight or flee.

Battle Menu 2(After selecting Fight)
Lead-Off(Manual Battle)
All-Out(Auto-Attack)
Free Will(Auto-Battle with all battle options available)

Battle Menu 3(After selecting Lead-Off)
Attack-->Choose target to attack
Rune-->Skill/Magic
Item-->Use equipped item/Swap equipped item/Equip item
Unite-->Select unite attack
Defend(DEF up by 1.5*, Defensive Skills proc rate up)
Fall Back/Rescue

Fall Back will have the unit move to the "sideline" and leave the battlefield and this serves two purposes: 1) If the unit succeeds, then even if the rest of the party gets wiped out, you'll be able to continue on with the dungeon.2) If the unit succeeds, then you may swap with a reserve party member, and that party member can act during that same turn in which he/she was swapped out.

Rescue will have a unit take a turn to move a dead ally or an ally in critical condition, out of the battlefield so that you can swap them with a reserve party member. The character that is swapped out can also act during the same turn.

The Elemental Field mechanic would be introduced later in the game. For more detailed information about that, read the page prior to this one.

This is pretty much like the Suikoden III battle system sans the Buddy System, but with a few tweaks here and there.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Heres another from me:

Geography:
Probably a mountain range or a floating continent.
Either way, I want the HQ to be a floating castle, similar to BOF II.

Characters
I want a new race such as Valkyries and Birdmen.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

suiken wrote:Heres another from me:

Geography:
Probably a mountain range or a floating continent.
Either way, I want the HQ to be a floating castle, similar to BOF II.

How about no. How the heck would people travel in and out of the fortress? Don't use Viki as an answer.

Characters
I want a new race such as Valkyries and Birdmen.
Aren't Kobolds, Nay-Kobolds, Dwarves, Elves, Ducks, Lizards, Beavers, and Mermaids enough? I'd rather see more diversity within the Human population.
suiken

Post by suiken »

We don't see Koalas in every countries either. It's a fantasy world anyway, so there are many possibilities. Different countries have different races.

It's not like all humans in their world have similar skin color. We already saw Asian, European, American and Middle Eastern people in the game.

How the fortress can fly? How about a rune, hmmm? They can use wind rune or other runes as a propeller.

It's not like the HQ will be the only one flying in my ideas. People in this country will use small balloon or rune powered airships. It will be similar to Island Nation, except that they are travelling on air or hike on a mountain just to get from one town to another.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I would rather not see more new races, and instead see existing races living in different environments (such as lizard clans living in a desert region or Wingers living in a mountainous area) but more recruitable beast characters would be ok. Bird men already exist in Suikoden (Eagle men and hawk men) and they could probably be distant relatives of the duck clan.
suiken

Post by suiken »

I was going to say that Eaglemen already exist, but yeah they would be nice addition to the army. However, Suikoden's number of races/creatures are nothing compared to Shin Megami Tensei.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Having more humanoid races doesn't necessarily make it better, though. The human cultures of Suikoden already offer a lot of diversity - we see humans living in castles and fortified cities and we see humans living in little fishing villages and floating towns made up of boats. The humanoid races do bring a nice fantasy element to the world of Suikoden, but it's the human characters that the audience really relates to, and the human drama is a prominent theme throughout the series.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Having more humanoids doesn't necessarily moves the needle. It won't make the series better or worse. Warcraft have also many races in their world and I can say that the story is pretty good. Audience can relate to humanoid characters if they can symphatize or draw curiousity. If the role of Valeria and the Elves were reversed, I'm sure you can still feel her pain.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

New races or no new races is entirely irrelevant - a good plot is the only thing we need.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Introducing new races is one of the unique features of Genso Suikoden, just like (new) runes, unite attacks, returning characters, etc. Sure, you can still have a good plot without it, but then it’s less Suikoden. Suikoden features with a bad plot isn't any better. Both is necessary.

However, there’s a lot I don’t like about non-human races or their depiction/implementation:
1. Why are they all good? All the main adversaries are humans, or human-looking, and a vampire. Why is none of them an elf or kobold, and why does none of our enemies have a unit of a different race?
2. So far they are absolutely unimportant to the universe. No true rune bearer, no really important story characters. Are they supposed to be nothing more than victims of the “human” true rune wars? What’s the point of their appearance? Sometimes I feel like they’re just clowns for the amusement of the player, but nothing important. That’s sad.
3. Their positive attributes are not developed enough. Kobolds for example are supposed to be brave but rash/unwise, I think. They are clearly depicted as rash/unwise, but even though there are some scenes in which they prove their bravery, I can’t see where they are any braver than humans. Elves are stubborn, but what is good about them, or in what aspect are they better than humans? What I’m trying to say is: it’s more the negative stuff that distinguishes them from humans, while their strong points are not manifested enough imo.

There should always be different races in Suikoden. It doesn’t always have to be new ones, I’d be fine with elaborating/refining the existing ones. They shouldn’t be more important or prominent than humans, but at least they should be more than just clowns.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Elves are stubborn, but what is good about them, or in what aspect are they better than humans?
A recurring theme with the elves in Suikoden is that they feel humans don't respect the environment and they pick excuses to wage war against each other.

The elves seem content to stick to their forests while humans want to keep building their empires, and if they're not waging war against neighboring kingdoms, they're struggling with internal conflicts.

Although, we rarely see elves being affectionate with each other. Every time we see elves, they seem to be arguing and acting in an abusive manner. Urda cares for Isato, but all she does is moan at him for wanting to be around humans, while Isato has a very warm relationship with Haswar. Sylvina loves Kirkis, but she doesn't really express any love for her home or the rest of her people, she just says how scared she is of other races, but she doesn't want to lose Kirkis. So it would be nice if we were shown more of this relationship that elves have with their natural habitat and their own kind, instead of just being snooty bitches.