Female roles in Suikoden

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
User avatar
sticky-runes
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:09 am

Actually, Lorelai is sort of Amazonian in that she's not very into men (in the "finding a good husband to settle down with and provide for her" kind of sense) and she challenges men to see if they are worthy to fight alongside her. In that regard, she sort of does resemble Atalanta (although in mythology Atalanta was not actually one of the Amazons, she was a huntress and athlete) she would challenge her suitors to a footrace to prove themselves worthy of her.

Lorelai also compares herself to Miakis when she finds out that Miakis used to challenge all the guys she grew up with, saying "perhaps you and I are not so different..."

Lorelai's relationship with Zweig is interesting, though. She doesn't seem to be attracted to him in any sexual or romantic kind of way (personally I think Zweig likes men), but she clearly does respect him as a scholar who knows a lot about the Sindar civilization. And she never challenges him physically, even though he's a decent fighter. He's more of a brains over brawn kind of guy. I'd like to know more about what happened between them before and after events in S5.

User avatar
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Sasarai10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:58 pm

sticky-runes wrote:Actually, Lorelai is sort of Amazonian in that she's not very into men (in the "finding a good husband to settle down with and provide for her" kind of sense) and she challenges men to see if they are worthy to fight alongside her. In that regard, she sort of does resemble Atalanta (although in mythology Atalanta was not actually one of the Amazons, she was a huntress and athlete) she would challenge her suitors to a footrace to prove themselves worthy of her.

Lorelai also compares herself to Miakis when she finds out that Miakis used to challenge all the guys she grew up with, saying "perhaps you and I are not so different..."

Lorelai's relationship with Zweig is interesting, though. She doesn't seem to be attracted to him in any sexual or romantic kind of way (personally I think Zweig likes men), but she clearly does respect him as a scholar who knows a lot about the Sindar civilization. And she never challenges him physically, even though he's a decent fighter. He's more of a brains over brawn kind of guy. I'd like to know more about what happened between them before and after events in S5.



I'd say Lorelai has a tomboyish personality like Miakis...but i'd never call her an "Amazon" girl. Amazons girls are like Ronnie,Oulan or Hanna,who are tall and muscular. Basically i thought Hanna was a dude,she has zero feminity. :mrgreen:

But what makes you believe Zweig is gay? He never saw any signs he's attracted to men. On the other hand he might like Lorelai (remember the bath scene?),but their age difference is tremendous. He was 40 during SV events and Lorelai was just 16. Would a 40 year old man be interested in a 16 year old teen?

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Wolkendrache » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:51 pm

That’s superficial. Look, if you can replace a female character with a male one just by changing name and artwork (no need to rewrite dialogues, plot elements, etc.), you almost have an amazon. Valeria is a good example; I can’t recall any traces of femininity in behavior and way of speaking. Lorelai sometimes behaves girlish in S5, but in S1 and S2 she’s an amazon. This simple switching-with-male doesn’t work for characters like Rina, Jeane, Yoshino for obvious reasons. It may work for young characters, but these mostly lack femininity simply because of being underage. To me, amazons are female adult fighters that show (almost) no femininity. Sonya and Kasumi, although having a crush on somebody, show almost no femininity.
Sasarai10 wrote:Personally i'm attracted to the "Amazon" type mostly. :D

Sasarai10 wrote:Amazons girls are like Ronnie,Oulan or Hanna,who are tall and muscular. Basically i thought Hanna was a dude,she has zero feminity. :mrgreen:

Case closed.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

User avatar
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Sasarai10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 am

Ronnie on the other hand shows some signs of femininity if you notice.

For example she wants to learn how to cook and how to be a good wife. But appearance-wise she's definetely an Amazon.

And what makes you Kasumi and Sonya have no feminity? Look Sonya for example....she has a DIARY. Quite girlish isn't it?

User avatar
sticky-runes
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:48 am

Sasarai10 wrote:
But what makes you believe Zweig is gay? He never saw any signs he's attracted to men. On the other hand he might like Lorelai (remember the bath scene?)


Exactly - he jumps in the bath with two young naked women and is more interested in chatting about Sindarin mysteries than anything else.
Plus Zweig seems quite flattered that Georg Prime offers to escort him through the final dungeon. :mrgreen:

Sasarai10 wrote:And what makes you Kasumi and Sonya have no feminity? Look Sonya for example....she has a DIARY. Quite girlish isn't it?


Pahn has a diary. Is that girlish of him?

I think Wolk means women who play TYPICALLY male roles, as in jobs that are NORMALLY left to men, but not always. If there is a woman capable of doing the job just as well as, if not better than, any man who is qualified, then some might consider her an Amazon.

Most countries in Suikoden do treat sexes equally, and have women who lead armies. I'd say Highland is the most typically male dominated country in Suikoden because they have no women in their army, and their princess is just used to ensure the royal blood line continues (Jillia says herself as a princess and as a woman there is little I can do) the only time we see a woman fight for Highland is when Jowy enlists Lucia's help in fighting the State.

User avatar
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Sasarai10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:43 am

sticky-runes wrote:
Exactly - he jumps in the bath with two young naked women and is more interested in chatting about Sindarin mysteries than anything else.
Plus Zweig seems quite flattered that Georg Prime offers to escort him through the final dungeon. :mrgreen:



Wouldn't you be flattered if you had the honor to be escorted by one of the Queen's Knights?

I believe Zweig is the typical Bookworm/Nerd guy. Like Killey. They are both straight i believe but they don't put dating a girl as their first priority. But actually there's a rumor going around Lorelai and Killey might've been a couple once.


sticky-runes wrote:Pahn has a diary. Is that girlish of him?


Guess it's Pahn's feminine side i believe.

sticky-runes wrote:
I think Wolk means women who play TYPICALLY male roles, as in jobs that are NORMALLY left to men, but not always. If there is a woman capable of doing the job just as well as, if not better than, any man who is qualified, then some might consider her an Amazon.



Personally when i hear the word "Amazon",first thing that pops to my mind is tall and muscular woman.

sticky-runes wrote:
Most countries in Suikoden do treat sexes equally, and have women who lead armies. I'd say Highland is the most typically male dominated country in Suikoden because they have no women in their army, and their princess is just used to ensure the royal blood line continues (Jillia says herself as a princess and as a woman there is little I can do) the only time we see a woman fight for Highland is when Jowy enlists Lucia's help in fighting the State.


Lucia was a general for Highland during S2 events.

User avatar
sticky-runes
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 am

Sasarai10 wrote:
Wouldn't you be flattered if you had the honor to be escorted by one of the Queen's Knights?


Yes. Especially if it was the tall dark hot one! And lets face it, Georg isn't all that into girls either :P

Sasarai10 wrote:I believe Zweig is the typical Bookworm/Nerd guy. Like Killey. They are both straight i believe but they don't put dating a girl as their first priority. But actually there's a rumor going around Lorelai and Killey might've been a couple once.


Killey has never had any human contact period. That's why he's jealous of the fact Alex is someone who took up Sindarin treasure hunting as a hobby and still found time to get laid.


Sasarai10 wrote:
Guess it's Pahn's feminine side i believe.


Writing journal entries about what food you ate today is hardly a girly or boyish thing to do, it's just an interest or pass time. Sonya's journal entries could be seen as girly because of how she writes about her feelings for Teo, but then a gentleman shouldn't be prying into his dad's girlfriend's thoughts, you sick little pervert. No wonder Cleo keeps her diary padlocked.

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Wolkendrache » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:44 am

Sasarai10 wrote:Lucia was a general for Highland during S2 events.

She’s a Karayan Leader hired by Highland, she’s not a Highland General.
sticky-runes wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:Guess it's Pahn's feminine side i believe.

Writing journal entries about what food you ate today is hardly a girly or boyish thing to do, it's just an interest or pass time. Sonya's journal entries could be seen as girly because of how she writes about her feelings for Teo, but then a gentleman shouldn't be prying into his dad's girlfriend's thoughts, you sick little pervert. No wonder Cleo keeps her diary padlocked.

Perhaps Pahn writes about his affairs, and every meal is a different girl. Due to his coded language he doesn’t feel the need to lock it up.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

User avatar
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Sasarai10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 am

-Georg was never a womanizer...so i agree here.
-I believe Lorelai might be ideal for Killey as a gf.
-Unlocking Cleo's diary would be an awesome idea as an extra feature if Suikoden I remake ever happens. I believe she might have a crush on Tir too.
Lucky young fella isn't he? Many girls have a crush on him as it seems.
-But why Lucia has Highland soldiers in her Unit?
-It could be a possibility Pahn is using a code language as well.

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Wolkendrache » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 am

- Georg and Sialeeds would be a cool couple. Not necessarily as love couple, but more of a legendary wandering couple helping out different countries in trouble. Georg’s military skill paired with Sialeed’s political acumen is ass-kicking.
- The relationship between Lorelai and Killey is strange. They do neither like each other very well, nor do they hate or fight each other. There is a feeling of competition on the one hand, but also a feeling for dependency (hope to get more information from the other one) on the other, I guess.
- No, I don’t care about Cleo's diary. I rather want her to join us again… let’s say in another Suikoden Tactics game. And no, 28 year old women usually don’t have a crush on 16 year old boys.
- Lucia is leading Karayan warriors. To be honest, I forgot whether she was asked to help or whether she came voluntarily to settle a loyalty-debt.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

User avatar
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby Sasarai10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:23 am

-Good idea....but Georg ended up hatin her after she became a "traitor".
-Indeed. If Killey actually hated her he'd kill her i believe. He's not an idiot and he could definetely sneak into her room and kill her.
-Are you sure? Remember Nifsara from SV? She had crushes on underage boys.
-I think she did it voluntatrily. Her actual enemy was Teresa by the time,and she joined Highland since she knew she was part of DU army.

User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Killey is a butt, Lorelai deserves better.
And Cleo deserves rest, she's one hell of an underrated character, her contribution to S1 is huge, she's an awesome person worthy of her retirement in her former master's comfy mansion.

User avatar
gildedtalon
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby gildedtalon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Cleo is Saint Seiya
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account

User avatar
sticky-runes
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:25 pm

I always assumed cleo and pahn were a couple. I used to think cleo and viktor would make a nice couple until I realised you could save pahn simply by levelling him up. Cleo treats both men in a similar manner - making fun of of them and putting them in their place when they start getting arrogant. I certainly don't think cleo was interested in tir that way - she was like a big sister to him. I do think she feels a lot of responsibility towards young men, because she becomes very caring towards hix - with tir growing up and becoming independent, she must feel that hix fills that void from when tir needed guidance and protection. Cleo is also horrified by the thought of sonya - a potential mother figure to tir - hating him and wanting to see him dead. So I'd say cleo's feelings towards tir were maternal.

User avatar
wataru14
Guide Writer
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Female roles in Suikoden

Postby wataru14 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Cleo and Pahn are so a couple.


Return to “General Suikoden Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests