Suikoden and Perfection

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Suikoden and Perfection

Post by Sasarai10 »

Many of us,including myself, have been aiming for doing as much as they can in Suikoden Games...and my question is..does it worth it?

For example...a few weeks ago i finished S1. It took me over a month...what i did was a little bit extreme. After recruiting a SoD,i was talking to every character in my HQ just to see if dialogues were changed :!: :!: :!: But nothing happened and i felt disappointed...dialogues changed only in a few characters and just because of the storyline,like Sanchez or Camille.

Also i tried to speak to each character in every town and village after each arc,but nothing happened except only a few exceptions.

Considering that,i really felt disappointed about trying to do everything in a SUikoden game... :cry:
sticky-runes

Re: Suikoden and Perfection

Post by sticky-runes »

I think you're expecting too much from such a dated game. Suikoden 5 has a lot more dialogue changes - practically every storyline event will give each SOD a new piece of dialogue as they react to the situation, but it's a bit silly of you to expect something like that out of the first game.

I suggest you try playing something else instead of dissecting the same video game over and over again.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:I think you're expecting too much from such a dated game. Suikoden 5 has a lot more dialogue changes - practically every storyline event will give each SOD a new piece of dialogue as they react to the situation, but it's a bit silly of you to expect something like that out of the first game.

I suggest you try playing something else instead of dissecting the same video game over and over again.

I do at this point. i've done long breaks before,but once i play again a Suikoden game,this "perfection madness" gets over me. :|
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I'd suggest playing Star Ocean II, collecting every single voice file, and try having the longest possible inventory list ;-)

"Perfection Madness", nice paradox. It's all a matter of opinion. For example trying to collect and keep every item the game offers is simply madness to me, because I wouldn't have fun doing it, but as long as you have fun, your game is perfect. Once I've played S2 to watch the scene with Clive and Elza, and to me, it was the playthrough with the least fun. It didn't give me a feeling of perfection, I was just feeling mad.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:I'd suggest playing Star Ocean II, collecting every single voice file, and try having the longest possible inventory list ;-)

"Perfection Madness", nice paradox. It's all a matter of opinion. For example trying to collect and keep every item the game offers is simply madness to me, because I wouldn't have fun doing it, but as long as you have fun, your game is perfect. Once I've played S2 to watch the scene with Clive and Elza, and to me, it was the playthrough with the least fun. It didn't give me a feeling of perfection, I was just feeling mad.

That;s it...it wasn't fun with me.

It was more like a boring routine that i had to do...like a task that you don't like to do. I cannot count how many times i fell asleep in my couch everytime i had t odo this...but still i wanted to do it,because i was thinking like "i might have a very small chance to get a hidden comment"

You can imagine the dissapointment i got realising that all these hours i consumed went in vain :cry:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I would happily complete Clive's quest, if there were no time constraints on it. I like to play RPGs in my own time, instead of playing against a clock, especially when it means rushing through the main storyline and prioritizing one character's personal quest over other characters, that just seems really stupid.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:I would happily complete Clive's quest, if there were no time constraints on it. I like to play RPGs in my own time, instead of playing against a clock, especially when it means rushing through the main storyline and prioritizing one character's personal quest over other characters, that just seems really stupid.

I've done this a couple of times. It's like a "Time Attack" Mode. I've completed Clive's quest with 108 stars of destiny within 12 hrs and 17 mins.

And besides that sometimes i like to rush the game just in order to see how fast can i beat it.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Even in "no cheating" runs, I always use a Game shark to reset game time to 0:00 every so often. I see nothing wrong with using codes to eliminate fake difficulty and arbitrary time limits.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Oh we are talking about playing a 20 years old game, so I think you are totally allowed to use all the cheats you want! It's not exactly as if you haven't proven a dozen times already that you can beat the game the way it was made. At this stage, anytime I play the game again it is purely for experimental reasons, so cheating is totally okay. Remember guys, we are the Suikoden exegetes!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

My PS1 action replay doesn't work on the PS2, but I do use codes on S4 and 5 so that I can instantly have maximum potch instead of faffing around with trading.
KnightOfTruth

Post by KnightOfTruth »

wataru14 wrote:Even in "no cheating" runs, I always use a Game shark to reset game time to 0:00 every so often. I see nothing wrong with using codes to eliminate fake difficulty and arbitrary time limits.
I was going to post exactly this! It's the only code I ever do (other than fixing known glitches via hexediting), I just reset my clock periodically to keep the Clive quest alive, but allow me to play the game at my own ("completionists") pace.