Suikoden VI?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Bryght Knowledge

Suikoden VI?

Post by Bryght Knowledge »

Will there be a Suikoden 6, or any new upcoming Suikoden games in the future?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden VI?

Post by Sasarai10 »

we still are waiting for a S6 for almost a decade :mrgreen:

i don't want to dissapoint you but...nope possibilities are no :|

Perhaps they'll release a new spin-off for Japan only like they did while ago...but i don't think they'll continue the main series
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Sasarai10 wrote:Perhaps they'll release a new spin-off for Japan only like they did while ago...but i don't think they'll continue the main series
I know you are right but from the bottom of my heart still hope you are wrong :lol:
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Neclord X wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:Perhaps they'll release a new spin-off for Japan only like they did while ago...but i don't think they'll continue the main series
I know you are right but from the bottom of my heart still hope you are wrong :lol:
One can dream... including me lol.
KnightOfTruth

Post by KnightOfTruth »

We just need to horribly spam Konami everywhere, on Twitter, Facebook, their websites, at trade shows, conferences, and get all our friends to do the same... the squeaky wheel get's the grease! ;)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

KnightOfTruth wrote:We just need to horribly spam Konami everywhere, on Twitter, Facebook, their websites, at trade shows, conferences, and get all our friends to do the same... the squeaky wheel get's the grease! ;)
Yeah but have they got any ideas where and when Suikoden 6 will take place? they must design new characters,backgrounds,etc...we should give them some time :D
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

What still bugs me is why they never planned VI. Is it the lack of motivation, money, ideas? Perhaps the lack of a Yoshitaka Murayama although V was able to put the series on its feet again?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Even if Suikoden V was well-liked by fans, I seem to recall its sales were even worse than Suikoden IV's. Probably owing partly to the reputation the series got after that game came out. It had never had truly great sales to begin with, so Konami probably decided it was easier to spin-off, keep some of the mechanics, and not worry about continuing the main series. It's easier to churn out crap for a quick buck, if it doesn't have to fit into a cohesive, multi-game narrative.
KnightOfTruth

Post by KnightOfTruth »

Yeah, but if they're really worried about the sales figures, why not open a portion of the funding up to crowd-sourcing? I'd be a tad upset that I couldn't get whatever the #1 best reward was (cuz I'm poor) but I'd rather do that and have a VI then not ever have anything :)

Or just take the chance and make it the best you can and let your fans blow up the internet about it!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Konami are dumb cunts. What's that? Our Suikoden games aren't selling well? Let's come up with some spin-off games that are totally unrelated and give them even more obscure sub-titles, like Tierkreis and Tsumorugushi or whatever the f#ck that last game was called.

Mind you, the fans are just as bad. You get people blaming Suikoden 4 for the death of the series, when Suikoden 3 never even got a European release and the two Suikogaiden games only ever got released in Japan, and all of those games came before 4. And even during it's heyday, Suikoden 2 didn't sell that well, so the series was f#cked either way.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

KnightOfTruth wrote:Yeah, but if they're really worried about the sales figures, why not open a portion of the funding up to crowd-sourcing? I'd be a tad upset that I couldn't get whatever the #1 best reward was (cuz I'm poor) but I'd rather do that and have a VI then not ever have anything :)

Or just take the chance and make it the best you can and let your fans blow up the internet about it!
Crowdfunding? A big company? In Japan? Not happening.
Mind you, the fans are just as bad. You get people blaming Suikoden 4 for the death of the series, when Suikoden 3 never even got a European release and the two Suikogaiden games only ever got released in Japan, and all of those games came before 4. And even during it's heyday, Suikoden 2 didn't sell that well, so the series was f#cked either way.
Yeah, Konami pretty much killed it themselves. Suikogaiden games aside (because at that time, Visual Novels were still too exotic for the western market), Suikoden III would have helped a lot in maintaining interest in the series. I even thought the "series" ended after II until I discovered IV in a shop here!

But I think Konami doesn't care anymore because they don't care about big games at all anymore. This E3 showed it perfectly, we got PES and MGS. And that's it - from a company like Konami! The Castlevania reboot is afaik only a mediocre success and.. that's it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I read in an article a while back, where somebody said they should focus on marketing Suikoden as "Game of Thrones meets Pokemon". Surely that's it, when you look how popular those franchises are (Personally I'd rather they emphasize the political intrigues and clashing cultures aspect than cute fuzzy monsters and elemental bullshit) If only Konami would take a few seconds away from jerking off the Metal gear fans.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

One thing Konami could have benefited from was throwing more artistic resources at the Suikoden games on the PS2. At a time when Square was endeavoring to independently render or animate the hairs on characters' heads, Konami was satisfied with characters that ran and emoted like robots, looked like they were about ten polygons away from being the cast of Final Fantasy VII, and any character with long hair looked they had a truss wrapped around their head whenever they glanced sideways.

It was pretty clear by the time IV came out that they considered Suikoden and also-ran. If it wasn't going to make money for them without having to commit A-level resources, there wasn't any point. Hell, starting with Tierkris, and even with the I&II remake for the PSP, they farmed development out to other companies entirely, and just let them do whatever.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I actually thought the graphics of 4 were fine. They looked like the character portraits in 3d form, and that was good enough for me, I don't really need perfection. 5 did a good job with the facial expressions, but the clothing turned out worse (Just look at Arshtat's hexagonal sleeves every time she's in a cut scene) it probably wasn't a good idea for 5 to do away with all the Zexen style armour, and go all out fabric with the Falenan fashion. I guess around that time, gamers were too enticed by Squares fancy cut scenes and summoning animations to give a toss about Suikoden's character development.
Also, I don't like what they did with the Suikoden 4 characters on that slot machine thing, they tried to make them look more realistic with the hair and lips and proportions, and it just looks weird. I preferred the more simple cartoony look of Suikoden 4.

And heck, even Skyrim doesn't have hair and fabric animation.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, I'm not saying they should have gone that far, but 3 had a lot of little issues that were kind of jarring at times, and 5 which was pretty great as a Suikoden game was still lacking polish. Although, it was mainly in the cut-scenes on 5. I usually felt like Square focused too much on visuals and flash, and Konami gave their developers tools from 1999. Bizarrely, the one I had the least issue with graphically was 4, but that might be because I couldn't bring myself to replay it. I think it still had the "emotional changes show on faces in a heartbeat thing", however.

They didn't need to take it to Square's level, but I think they might have lost sales to new players based on how laughably bad the visuals could be.