Does Leknaat have summoning ability? *minor spoiler*

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
bluemask

Does Leknaat have summoning ability? *minor spoiler*

Post by bluemask »

Windy was able to summon lots of monsters in S1 considering the Gate Rune is the parent of the Blue/Pale Gate rune. Is Leknaat even able to do that too? Well... I know she won't summon evil monsters from the void but for real, I think she can do it.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Does Leknaat have summoning ability? *minor spoiler*

Post by Wolkendrache »

It's long ago, I can't remember scenes where she let monsters appear out of nowhere. But I remember she had monsters on her side.

Windy: "I used the imperial treasure to bribe monsters into fighting for me. Now I need some summoning effects to impress the traitors..."
Yuber: "100.000 bits?"
Windy: "Check."

I agree, Leknaat probably has the ability, but is not willing to do so.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Wolkendrache wrote:It's long ago, I can't remember scenes where she let monsters appear out of nowhere. But I remember she had monsters on her side.

Windy: "I used the imperial treasure to bribe monsters into fighting for me. Now I need some summoning effects to impress the traitors..."
Yuber: "100.000 bits?"
Windy: "Check."

I agree, Leknaat probably has the ability, but is not willing to do so.
LOLLL. Yuber really did a good job on that I guess.

I'm still not sure... But if we would consider reviving Gremio a summon from the void/dead I think it proves it. But is that all? Maybe the Front and Back have different capabilities after all.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I've read the rune descriptions: the front gate rune can summon monsters from some other world, while the back gate rune can send them back. Seems they are literally front and back gates...

I think it wasn't (only) Leknaat's power that could revive characters, but the combined power of the 108 stars.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

So it means Windy goes front door and Leknaat goes back door?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Leknaat is able to send monsters back whence they came, including the ones Windy summoned, and she banished the Fog Ship Guide back to his city of eternity or whatever it was called (or was it just the Soul Eater killing him?)

But doesn't Luc say he learned to summon monsters from Leknaat in Suikoden 3?
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Wolkendrache wrote: I think it wasn't (only) Leknaat's power that could revive characters, but the combined power of the 108 stars.
Now that I think about that. Guess the 108 stars power is indeed a factor.
BrucePrintscreen wrote:So it means Windy goes front door and Leknaat goes back door?
I see what you did there... heuheuahahuhe. If you know what I mean :mrgreen:
sticky-runes wrote: Leknaat is able to send monsters back whence they came, including the ones Windy summoned, and she banished the Fog Ship Guide back to his city of eternity or whatever it was called (or was it just the Soul Eater killing him?)

But doesn't Luc say he learned to summon monsters from Leknaat in Suikoden 3?
Oh ya. I forgot about those things >.> I think the Fog Ship Guide just died or Soul Eater devoured him. About Luc, I don't think I was able to catch on that. I think if it's true, then the Back Gate is not just for banishing then?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

It's possible Leknaat had a Pale Gate Rune as well as her half of the True Gate Rune. She could have taught summoning with that. After all, Luc (bearer of the True Wind Rune) has a regular dinky Wind Rune in both Suikoden 1 and 2.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

wataru14 wrote:It's possible Leknaat had a Pale Gate Rune as well as her half of the True Gate Rune. She could have taught summoning with that. After all, Luc (bearer of the True Wind Rune) has a regular dinky Wind Rune in both Suikoden 1 and 2.
Seems to be the most plausible answer lol. Whoever equips a Pale Gate instantly knows how to summon anyway lol. But Luc was able to do it only with his TWR. Leknaat sure is jealous hahahaha.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I thought it was canon that any True Rune bearer could summon in some limited capacity. Are you wondering because she only has half of the Gate Rune? It's possible there's something in that, but it's never been explicitly mentioned as a limitation.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Pyriel wrote:I thought it was canon that any True Rune bearer could summon in some limited capacity. Are you wondering because she only has half of the Gate Rune? It's possible there's something in that, but it's never been explicitly mentioned as a limitation.
I'm wondering because Leknaat has never summoned anything in any game. Oh and what others here have reminded me, it is said in the site that the Back Gate is only used for banishing. So, I think the Back Gate has no summoning capabilities, lest she has the full Gate Rune herself. (Well, I think Pale gate allows summoning since it is a full version)

Yuber on the other hand is associated with demons so, I think his True Rune has nothing to do with being able to summon... or is it?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

That's just what I've read in several places (around this site and by people quoting Blue Moon, I think) over the years. Any wielder of a True Rune has the ability to summon monsters. I don't know if that means specific types, or one specific monster for some Runes, but that's supposed to be the general rule. However, looking around, I don't think it's canon. It's just assumed from the fact that summoning is something several bearers of distinct True Runes (Yuber, Luc, Neclord, Windy, for a start) do.

Windy and Leknaat may represent a special case, if all or most True Runes do grant that power, but there really can't be a definitive answer to whether or not the Back Gate itself allows that.*

Mundane people are able to summon monsters through sometimes unknown means, and some people seem to have odd powers that don't coincide with any known Rune. Likewise Sarah is supposed to be a (very rare) true sorceress. I only point this out as a way of illustrating that magical power is pretty malleable in the Suikoden universe. So in a more general sense, the answer is obviously that she could if she really wished to.

*A fun loophole would be banishing yourself to the monster realm, and then banishing a bunch of monsters to the human world before banishing yourself home. She maybe wouldn't be summoning in the perfectly precise sense of the term, but it would come to the same thing.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Pyriel wrote: *A fun loophole would be banishing yourself to the monster realm, and then banishing a bunch of monsters to the human world before banishing yourself home. She maybe wouldn't be summoning in the perfectly precise sense of the term, but it would come to the same thing.
The other way around huh? But if that's possible, Windy's power would be more limited then :lol:
Pyriel wrote: Mundane people are able to summon monsters through sometimes unknown means, and some people seem to have odd powers that don't coincide with any known Rune. Likewise Sarah is supposed to be a (very rare) true sorceress. I only point this out as a way of illustrating that magical power is pretty malleable in the Suikoden universe. So in a more general sense, the answer is obviously that she could if she really wished to.
I think if you bring up Sarah who can summon monsters, then I think your claim of magic being malleable can be considered true. Leknaat was her mentor too so that can only possibly mean, that Leknaat has also summoning capability! Guess that answers my question :o