Female character design and features

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Female character design and features

Post by Wolkendrache »

(Since I’m not a native speaker I don’t know if the word “boobs” is too vulgar; I don’t mean to offend anyone)

Just let me share some thoughts, opinions etc.
- When my girlfriend watched me playing S5 she asked me for the name of that “boobs game”. so I said “Genso Suikoden” and told her the meaning of it. In a cutscene involving Sialeeds she said: “I hope you enjoy these Genso boobs.” Actually I didn’t, because I think it kills the seriousness of characters like Arshtat and Sialeeds. Fortunately they didn’t destroy Zerase that way. Really, there are too many characters with Genso boobs, and worst of all, teenage characters like Faylen and Lun. Even though Lun is Kisara’s daughter, at that age she shouldn’t have bigger boobs than… let’s say… Bolgan.
- My roommate (male), although not into RPGs, was always interested in playing that card game with Jeane. If the makers would have had just slightly more guts, we would have seen something like a boobquake unite attack involving Kisara, Jeane and Sialeeds.
- In the German PAL version there’s a funny spelling error: Miroon’s weapon should be a “Buerste” (brush), instead they wrote “Brueste” (breasts), so her wood boobs become steel boobs at weapon level 8.
- After playing S5 I replayed S2 and realized that S2 is much more realistic in this aspect. If you ask me, only Oulan has Genso boobs. Oh, I’m sure you all know that Genso means “fantasy”, being the opposite of “real”. That’s why I’ve no problems with Barbara.
- I’ve read a discussion somewhere about Kasumi looking like a prostitute in S1. I didn’t find her outfit too offending, but it doesn’t suit her personality. Rina or Nifsara would’ve been more suitable.
- I really love the individual outfits, there are only a few details I dislike, such as Anita’s boots: steel plated ultra high heel boots. That’s absurd! Some of my favorites are Miakis, Zerase, Ayda and Lorelei.

To all Sheenas, Kyles and Wilhelms, as well as everyone else: What’s your opinion on the female character design in Suikoden? Some anecdotes?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
veriaqa

Re: Female character design and features

Post by veriaqa »

It's just how the game industry works. It's not only Suikoden game that experiencing this phenomena.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I didn't think Kasumi looked like a prostitute. With the shorts and the legwarmers, I thought she looked like the Japanese Olivia Newton-John in "Let's Get Physical." Super 80's but not vulgar.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Didn't Lo Wen have some big ol' titties on her? Neclord thought she was vulgar, but then, she's probably overripe for his taste.

What about Kika? she's got petite ones, which is just as well, because swinging those two swords around would probably be difficult with a pair of massive whammers getting in the way. and she's got that pert ass and a tramp stamp to draw attention to her back.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

veriaqa wrote:It's just how the game industry works. It's not only Suikoden game that experiencing this phenomena.
S2 was selling well, so for S5 they used the formula: S2 style + boobs = massive selling numbers. It turned out to have sold just half the copies (according to the Japanese wikipedia site). Thus, Suikoden has it's own rules. What are these rules? I don't know, to me it's storyline, gameplay and soundtrack, and S2 doesn't lack in any of these at least in my opinion. To make a long story short: In Suikoden, boobs don't sell.
wataru14 wrote:I didn't think Kasumi looked like a prostitute. With the shorts and the legwarmers, I thought she looked like the Japanese Olivia Newton-John in "Let's Get Physical." Super 80's but not vulgar.
Due to the colorful clothes the 80s come in mind. If you wanna see the archetype of Meg look for Kay Cee Bang "Let the good times roll" on youtube.
sticky-runes wrote:Didn't Lo Wen have some big ol' titties on her? Neclord thought she was vulgar, but then, she's probably overripe for his taste.

What about Kika? she's got petite ones, which is just as well, because swinging those two swords around would probably be difficult with a pair of massive whammers getting in the way. and she's got that pert ass and a tramp stamp to draw attention to her back.

Kika's tramp stamp, I forgot about it. In my language we call these "ass antlers". But yeah, she's a good example, because other than that, although small "features", she looks awesome with her pirate vest and double rapiers.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I think S2 is more or less like S5 in terms of female character design, it's just the graphics makes it look more outstanding. In fact I think overall the sexual charge in S2 is quite superior than in S5 (Rina and her trades, Sierra's "maidenhood" Milie's pantyshot, Luca Blight mother destiny...)

S5 is without doubt more "haremic" than its predecesors, it has more that anime feeling, but it does in an "innocent" way. but S2 was more "dirty" in a serious way.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I'm not saying boobs are dirty, they are just exaggerated and killing seriousness in S5.
But speaking of "dirtyness", you are right about S2, don't forget Richmond Investigation 3 about Anita. Then again, look at Oboro Investigation 4 about Bernadette and Lun. It's not dirtier, it's simply more boobs-oriented.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Ass Antlers... I like that!
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Wolkendrache wrote:I'm not saying boobs are dirty, they are just exaggerated and killing seriousness in S5.
But speaking of "dirtyness", you are right about S2, don't forget Richmond Investigation 3 about Anita. Then again, look at Oboro Investigation 4 about Bernadette and Lun. It's not dirtier, it's simply more boobs-oriented.
I think in S2 are equally exagerated, is just the art in S5 is more detailed, but check the Suikogaiden art for example, Oulan, Rina, Lo wen, even Elza has big tits on those.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

People see what they wanna see, really. When you consider how many characters there, as a whole, in any Suikoden game, the number of boobtastic looking characters is very low. So if the viewer's attention is put off by Suikoden 5's cleavage shots, then that's their problem, because the game has quite a lot to offer in the way of character visual design.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

If I'd speak about marketing strategies, back in the S2 days, what people are looking for are quality in games. Not wholly to the graphics aspect but storyline, character development and the replay value. I think S5 became a victim because competing with graphically appealing games will probably knock them out. So instead, they just probably used the "boob" tactics in order to attract players.

Remember, the artist in S2 and S5 are a whole lot different. Ishika (S2) was more on the outfit quality in my observation and the artist(s) of S5 was more on the physique factor.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sticky-runes wrote:People see what they wanna see, really. When you consider how many characters there, as a whole, in any Suikoden game, the number of boobtastic looking characters is very low. So if the viewer's attention is put off by Suikoden 5's cleavage shots, then that's their problem, because the game has quite a lot to offer in the way of character visual design.
That, exactly. Three big cleavages on a cast of 108 is a pretty low rate. If you have a problem with girls looking attractive, perhaps you are the one with prejudice. At least the supermodels of Suikoden are, in general, talented, strong, and not the kind to fall easily for a juvenile emo wanabee hero à la Final Fantasy.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

What's wrong now? Everyone's talking at cross-purposes?

It's all just a matter of opinion/taste, I find them exaggerated, Bruce finds them attractive, all fine. But why allegations of prejudices all of a sudden? What the heck?!

Anyway, what bluemask said is interesting:
bluemask wrote:Remember, the artist in S2 and S5 are a whole lot different. Ishika (S2) was more on the outfit quality in my observation and the artist(s) of S5 was more on the physique factor.
I always thought it was all about marketing strategy / commercialization, but maybe it was just coincidence due the the invidual artist's style. Or maybe both?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Wolkendrache wrote:What's wrong now? Everyone's talking at cross-purposes?

It's all just a matter of opinion/taste, I find them exaggerated, Bruce finds them attractive, all fine. But why allegations of prejudices all of a sudden? What the heck?!
No one's accusing you of anything, we're just discussing the subject in a broad sense. You don't have to take it to heart.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Wolkendrache wrote:
bluemask wrote:Remember, the artist in S2 and S5 are a whole lot different. Ishika (S2) was more on the outfit quality in my observation and the artist(s) of S5 was more on the physique factor.
I always thought it was all about marketing strategy / commercialization, but maybe it was just coincidence due the the invidual artist's style. Or maybe both?
I cannot say that what I said is correct though, there's still art director who has the final say and they're just the character designers. You know, like:
Character Designer: *Draws a draft of a character*
Director: "Hmm... this is one hell of a woman, make her boobs bigger! I like it that way! That'd be fantastic".

So, I'd say it's a mix of both marketing strategy and the artist's style.