Vanity in characters

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Vanity in characters

Post by sticky-runes »

We know each Suikoden game has one or two characters who are classed as the archetypical narcissist. There's always the Chichin star:

Vincent
Augustine
Charlemagne
Josephine

and other major or minor characters including:

Milich Oppenheimer
Esmeralda
Schtolteheim Reinbach III

but what other characters are there who have narcissistic qualities who aren't often considered Narcissists?

For example, Zamza in S2 speaks very highly of himself. When you recruit him, he pitches all of his best qualities to you, and after moving into the castle he often complains about not being treated with the respect he deserves. He doesn't actually dress brightly like the true narcissists and he doesn't have any association with flowers, but he certainly displays a lot of admiration for himself.

Rahal in S5 seems quite proud of his looks, and has his moment of vanity when he dresses up as a woman to distract the Godwin guards.

Ameria in S4 seems very image conscious as well. When she moves onto the ship, she talks about her outfit and writes notes about ordering face care products, and when you remove her from your party in Tactics she says she'll go brush up her makeup.

Order:
Lipstick: 1
Cream: 1
Powder: 2
Eye shadow: 2
A total of 6 items. That's what I'm planning to order. I've been saving up for this!

So, have you noticed any other characters who have a moment of vanity or display a bit of self admiration?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Vanity in characters

Post by Sasarai10 »

Watari from S3 by far...WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE and you demand 100k potch to be recruited???? Even Kage demanded only 20k potch. It seems that he thinks very high for himself
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well, a lot of the ninjas try to act cool and stand-offish. To be honest they're not that much less insufferable than Esmeralda or Josephine. They all think they're too good to be among us. Plus I don't see how some of these ninjas can be masters of stealth when don't exactly blend into their surroundings, wearing strikingly bold pinks and purples all the time.

And look at Fuma - commenting on our remarkable skills of perception, when he can obliterate his presence to a mere shadow...
Dude, you're wearing bright red against a bland grey wall, how can anyone not spot you? Had you been hanging out at Scarleticia, we might have had a hard time trying to spot you! :P
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Sierra is unsufferable with pretentiousness. Both in S2 and in SG1. Sincerely, I couldn't finish the first chapter of SG1 because I couldn't stand what a little whiny bitch she is. She is a real pest to Nash and she constantly poses as if she were a victim, while the Highland Army is burning entire villages.

Sierra stands out of your typical Suikoden character because they usually show a lot of devotion to their cause, bravery in their fight, and sacrifice themselves for the weak. Like Valeria who constantly put her life at stake for the others, or Gremio, or countless of others. Sierra only care for her sorry ass. There's a moment when I stop having pity for her stupid fate when the entire world may be ravaged by Luca Blight.

If that's not narcissism, then what is it...
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

As for one who doesn't have a narcissistic vibe but thinks highly of himself, I'd say Luc. Stubborn brat(?) who thinks so highly of himself. I actually hated him in S1 for being such a jerk.

For S3, I think Elaine is a bit of a vanity-freak with all those make-up but her character doesn't show it. Estella... looks like some drag queen and thinks a bit highly of herself too.

Oskar in S4, at first I thought he was a narcissist but I dunno, he has this certain quality. Maxine too, she looks like a ghost with all those seemingly make-up.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Luc talks down to people a lot in S1 and S2. It's not really about his looks, it's more about the fact he's an apprentice to a legendary magician and has tons of magical talent. I can't remember much of what he says in S3, but in the manga there's a scene where he admits to Leknaat that he actually did feel a lot of pain and sorrow for the people he was fighting with during 1 and 2, so that makes it seem like his bratty attitude in the first two games was all an act.

Another thing about the S3 manga is that queen implies Elaine's tits are the ONLY good thing about her. And yes, Estella does look like a drag queen!

I think Oskar is an adoring fanboy to Deborah. He even dresses like her with the scarf and purple cardigan. I don't think he loves himself much, since he's modelling himself after some old lady he idolizes, and places her above all other people he meets.

I think Maxine's white skin is natural, since she has a conversation with Ameria in the bath about it. She's also got more of a 'can't be bothered attitude', since she has little to say to people during all those chats in Tactics. I don't think she's really into being adored or drawing attention to herself. I do like Maxine's outfit, though, and her weapon looks pretty awesome!
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Hmm, how about Camus? He seems too conscious in his appearance by my judgment, well, personality wise (a ladies' man..). Also Rina... it's like she's forcing every guy to give her attention.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Camus isn't as bad as Rahal. I don't know if he does anything showy in Suikogaiden, but in S2 I thought he was more about complimenting the ladies than drawing attention to himself. Kind of like how Kyle talks a lot about the ladies, but doesn't really talk about how amazing and handsome he is.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Camus is a LOT more showy than the other Matilda knights. His has a flourish to his sword attack, while Miklotov and all the other knights just have a basic swing. And that fancy purple cape Camus wears. And all the other knights wear those long tabards, while Camus has a very short one, so he likes to show off his legs, the slut! :mrgreen:
BrucePrintscreen

Rina doesn't need to fight for the attention, she gets it naturally because she is awesome :mrgreen:
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

sticky-runes wrote: EDIT: And that fancy purple cape Camus wears. And all the other knights wear those long tabards, while Camus has a very short one, so he likes to show off his legs, the slut! :mrgreen:
Told ya lol.
BrucePrintscreen wrote:Rina doesn't need to fight for the attention, she gets it naturally because she is awesome :mrgreen:
Guess that's true... Sheena is also after her iirc. Guess that's what natural is.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sheena is after anything with a gash. Even if it's Nanami.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

sticky-runes wrote:Sheena is after anything with a gash. Even if it's Nanami.
Hahaha. I think I've heard an NPC in S5 saying the same thing about Kyle...
BrucePrintscreen

I'm pretty sure Sheena is into Simone as well. After all, it IS a female name.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

It's Nina Simone, not Sheena Simone.
BrucePrintscreen

Nina Simone, oh my, the mental image...