Playing Suikoden with a friend

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Winterswhite

Playing Suikoden with a friend

Post by Winterswhite »

Lately I've convinced my friend into allowing me to introduce her to the series. I've decided I'd play Suikoden while she would watch via Skype screen share (Making me resort to emulation). I plan on going through I, II, Gaiden, III, and V (I haven't played IV + Tactics. Maybe we can play them blind together after V.) She has a busy life so we can only play a good 2-3 hours every Saturday (If she doesn't have plans already). My friend has never touched RPGs and mainly plays Skyrim so this was going to be a new experience for her. So far we played two days. I want to share her reactions.

Day 1
-My friend found the idea of naming your protagonist really interesting. I was used to the idea being used in other RPGs so that took me by surprise.
-She thinks Kraze looks a little like a dragon, but she's obsessed with dragons so everything may look like a dragon to her :/
-My friend likes Gremio for his affection towards Tir. She finds gay love in works of fiction cute.
- We act like 5-year olds as when Ted says he has a secret, my friend finishes for him by saying 'I'm pregnant!'
-She gets shocked when Ted joins the entourage by walking into Tir and vanishing. I was used to this but she obviously wasn't!
-Being the dragon fan she is, my friend approved of being taken to Magician's Isle on a dragon. I can't wait for her reaction to Dragon's Den and Black's death.
-I thought my friend would be upset with Black making an elephant sound but when I told her that, she said 'Dragons can make any sounds they want.'
-My friend doesn't seem to understand the concept of runes. I try to explain but I fail. I make it more complicated actually D:
-An earthquake happened in real life while we were at Mt. Seifu. No major damage happened, just a bit of a shake. I blame it on the Queen Ant though.
-When we first met Odessa, we acted like 5-year olds and accused her of being a pedophile who wanted to do awful things to Tir and co. She admitted crying a little at her death scene though.

We stopped after Odessa died.

Day 2
-My friend expected Mathiu to be tanner for whatever reason.
-We acted like 5-year olds (again) at the fortress of Kwaba. We chose the name Piisuke cause we pronounced it PEE soo kay. We thought 'heheh Pee soo kay'
-We spent what felt like forever trying to beat Tai Ho at Chinchororin.
-My friend approved of the Zombie Dragon
-We took Tai Ho's suggestion on the castle and named it ☆Dragon☆ Castle. We would literally call it Star Dragon Star Castle.
-When Leknaat said she had a gift, my friend finished her sentence by saying 'a baby dragon'. I can't wait for when we recruit Bright in III.
-My friend also does not fully understand the concept of the 108 stars of destiny either. Of course I fail at explaining again.
-When we recruited Maas, my friend thought he turned into a girl when a female blacksmith took his place in the shop.
-My friend approves of the name Dragon Fang Staff for Tir's weapon. It'll be a shame when it gets upgraded to Heaven Fang Staff... for her anyway.
-When we recruited Gaspar, his very first toss was 1-2-3 causing him to pay double.
-When we got a Speed Rune Piece, my friend thought it sped up the attack animation. As an RPG expert, I mentally facepalmed.
-My friend commented Eileen looked like Michelle from Read or Die.
-We acted like 5-year olds when we decided to voice Antonio's dialogue...
-When allowing my friend to suggest a party member, she chose Kai.
-She finds Viki to be funny.
-She thinks Kuromimi is adorable.

We stopped when when we reached the entrance of the Village of the Elves. I hope to finish the Kwanda Rosman arc next time. I'd hope to reach to Gremio's death scene instead but that seems like way too much progress for a few hours.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Playing Suikoden with a friend

Post by Sasarai10 »

Odessa a pedo?????? for God's sake....i don't think she saw Tir in a sexual way

btw,i wonder is there any hidden dialogue if you name the castle a certain name?
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

She plays Skyrim and doesn't understand the concept of Runes? Dragon Shouts, man. Dragon Shouts.

Aside from that, I wouldn't say Odessa is a pedo, but I always think she's enamoured by Tir. Heck, Gremio certainly thinks something went on after Odessa explained her and Tir were awake that night together.

Black's death is my favourite scene in Suikoden I. I find it a better scene than Teo's and Gremio's scenes.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Odessa is a pedo? Isn't Leknaat the one who keeps popping up in young boys' bedrooms in the middle of the night?
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Guillaume. That is all.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:Odessa is a pedo? Isn't Leknaat the one who keeps popping up in young boys' bedrooms in the middle of the night?

:lol:

the only female pedo actually in the whole series is Nifsara....she admits that she likes underage boys
Winterswhite

Post by Winterswhite »

:lol: It seems the topic has become 'Odessa is not a pedo!'. I think my friend called her one just for the sake of being silly. I doubt she really thinks that Odessa's trying to do inappropriate things with Tir. If she does fully believe in her own joke theory...I'd be worried.
Winterswhite

Post by Winterswhite »

Apologies for double post but...

Day 3
-My friend finds Sylvina to be rather adorable instead of annoying like other opinions I saw of her.
-When we talked to Stallion, my friend remarked "He's hoooot..." I imagine she said that in humorous light
-My friend thought the dwarves were more welcoming than the elves. When the chief said "Ho ho, I hope all the elves are killed!", my friend said "The dwarves are niiice" in a zombie-like fashion.
-As expected, when we ran into Gigantes, my friend reacted "What the f.."
-When Gremio encourages Kirkis, my friend said "Maybe I should ship them." jokingly.
-My friend was unable to tell whether Templeton was a boy or a girl.
-When I said it was possible for characters to die in war battles, my friend went 'Okay!' in a high-pitched voice. She jokingly suggested we should kill of Eileen (AKA Michelle) off first.
-My friend liked Viki even more when she used magic and went "Ooh! Use Magic? Me?"
-Everytime she sees a kobold, my friend goes "aww..."
-My friend was unable to tell whether Apple was a boy or a girl. Thankfully I'm here.

We stopped after we returned to the castle. I'm curious about her reaction to Milich Oppenheimer and Gremio's death. Oh, can't forget the relationship between Gen and Kamandol :lol:
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Keep this going! It's like I get to vicariously experience the games all over again. :)
Winterswhite

Post by Winterswhite »

^ Heh, thanks for the supporting words :)

Day 4
-My friend joked Tir's real name was Turd and everyone else knows that but they call him Tir to not offend him.
-When Milich first appeared, my friend asked "Is that a sir or a ma'am?"
-When I told my friend Quincy's a boy, she remarked "What is wrong with these Japanese people?!"
-When Tir's Dragon Fang Staff was upgraded to Heaven Fang Staff, my friend said "F you.." She was really into Dragon Fang... She went "Aww.." at Flik's weapon though.
-My friend laughed a little when she learned Lotte's cat was named Mina as we do know a person with that name. She has a habit of doing that when a character has the same or similar name to someone she knows.
-My friend suggested using Stallion and Fu Su Lu when we were admitting party members
-We joked that Mina the dancer was the second identity of Lotte's cat. Due to the fact the person we know with the same name is a good acquaintance of ours, we decided to keep Mina in our party at every possible moment.
-When Gremio mentioned maybe Tir doesn't need his protection anymore, my friend screamed "Nooo!!" Apparently she took it as Gremio thinking of suicide.
-When Milich said "That kind of antidote would be very inconvenient." out of nowhere (note his name and icon don't appear when he says that), my friend jokingly guessed a dragon said that and when Milich came down on the back of a dragon she laughed so hard by the fact she was right.
-With our 11 year-old boy sense of humor, we laughed when Mathiu said "We'll save that pleasure for later." when answering why we needed Kimberly and Tesla.
-My friend laughed out loud when Kimberly said she couldn't read. She said "Are you coming onto me?" when flirting with Flik.
-For whatever reason my friend thought Tesla was going to be a woman too.
-She jokingly suggested all of our non-forced party members (Luc and Mina) were thinking "What the fudge is going on? I don't even.." when she noticed they don't say anything.
-My friend admitted she found Gremio's death much more depressing than Odessa's. She jokingly suggested Viktor left to get Gremio's clothes to cosplay as him.
-When I asked myself "How do the Good Buddies unit even fight?", my friend replied "Marie's fat isn't she? She could be used as a bowling ball." I laughed so hard at that my friend worried I was dying of laughter.
-My friend was disappointed by the fact Milich's dragon does not show up again. She literally thought he was going to use the dragon much more often.
-My friend mentioned Apple looks like Velma from Scooby-Doo to her.

After I got back from Scarleticia, I figured I'd give my friend a tour of the castle and then I stopped. Next time I plan to go through the Teo arc.
Last edited by Winterswhite on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tovath

Post by tovath »

I'm glad you are sharing this with us.
Yes I am writing a fanfic. How did you guess?
Winterswhite

Post by Winterswhite »

^ Thanks. :)

My friend asked me once "How would you react if Gremio came back to life?" I did my best not to tell her it happens eventually. I can't wait for her reaction now.
She also went on and on about how cute she thinks Black is. She'll be so heartbroken when he dies :twisted:

We managed to play today for an hour since this week is not a busy one. I'm hoping we can play the whole week.

Day 5
-When Jabba joined, my friend said "Jabba the hut joined"
-My friend joked Kimberley's the reincarnation of Odessa which is why she likes Flik and asks Tir if he's her drinking partner since we called her a pedophile. She shouted something along the lines of "headcanon! This is now confirmed."
-When Teo won, my friend said 'Well what do you expect they have horsies!'
-My friend laughed when Sarah said she already had soap. Mainly cause I had to go through the hunt for soap and not her (but I knew who to talk to anyway so no big deal)
-We spent a good chunk of our time playing Georges' game cause I'm terrible at it. We questioned why Georges had pictures of people in our army. I said things like "Why do you have pictures of me?! Why do you have pictures of girls?! Why do you have pictures of children?!"
-My friend's (joke) Georges theory!:He's a developer of the game and somehow managed to get stuck in Suikoden which is why he has pictures of Suikoden characters.

We stopped when we were about to leave Kirov. Stupid Georges stalling our progress.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Oh wow, Georges is the guy from TRON! :D
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I always thought Georges was Aladdin. Look at the face.
Winterswhite

Post by Winterswhite »

Yesterday's session was also cut short but we still made good progress.

Day 6
-When we entered Kalekka, I said 'Um, what happened here?' (pretending not to know what's going to happen here) my friend said 'It's beautiful!' when I entered a house on accident she said 'you want to admire it's architecture.'
-My friend was surprised we couldn't recruit Leon. I tried to hide the fact you recruit him at a later point in the game.
-My friend was laughing throughout the 'giant woman' moment.
-When Kage asked for bits, my friend asked 'What's a ninja going to do with that money?' that was something I never thought about. [s]This should be a thread on character questions[/s] Doesn't Kage come from some group? Maybe the money goes to them.
-I showed my friend how Melodye works, I only had a voice sound set. She said it sounded like dying mice.
-When Teo was dying, my friend said 'I'm going to cry..' I never got any hint she did though.
-When we got to Lorimar, my friend immediately suspected zombies are on the loose.
-My friend thought Hix and Tengaar were siblings when we first met them. I immediately told her they were a couple.
-I forgot to show my friend Marco back at Rockland so she was confused when he said 'we meet again' and she also thought he was a girl.
-I went around recruiting people before we talked to Zorak causing my friend to ask the question 'Are you just gonna leave that guy to wait for you?'

We stopped when recruited Moose, my friend had to abruptly end the Skype call. Hopefully we'll be able to do the Neclord arc if the short calls don't continue. Plus I'm excited by the fact we're getting closer to the dragon knights. She'll love it!