Experienced Suikoden Player Facepalm

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
SolInvictus

Experienced Suikoden Player Facepalm

Post by SolInvictus »

For starters I consider myself to be a veteran Suikoden player as I have beaten each game multiple times. Last year I decided to play through Suikoden II again for nostalgia and while playing around with the candles in North Window realized that you can get a darkness rune in the castle via lighting certain candles. While I'm sure most of you reading were aware of this, I after beating this particular title more than 15 times, easily felt like a complete moron for not having stumbled across this before.

A second time was during my first play through of Suikoden V I spent much of the game waiting on a barkeep to become recruited so I could change my party. I don't remember at what point I finally figured out that in Luserina I already had what I had been searching for, but I was at least passed the Lelcar events as I remember going through the entire events with just Hero, Lyon, and Kyle.

What type of "How the hell did I not know this" kind of moments have you had?
veriaqa

Re: Experienced Suikoden Player Facepalm

Post by veriaqa »

I'm sorry but I found that two thing the first time played the game.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I played Suikoden 1 for more than 10 years before I realized you could rest in the coffins in Neclord's Castle. I played the game for more than 15 years before I realized you can heal by drinking the water outside the Village of the Hidden Rune.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I never managed to complete Clive's quest coz everytime I tried, there's always some missing requirement.
After sometime I grow to hate Clive, I never go back up to this day
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

The first time i played Suikoden 2 when i was 10 y.o. i stuck at the very begining when i was going to buy some flour from Ryube (YES REALLY :lol: ) that's why the reason i gave up the game at this age after playing it a few weeks only. And i put it back with the others again. Then 2 years later at 12,i decided to give it another try,and i overcame this obstacle,and i was very excited by the game,so i wanted to continue.

I'm really glad i didn't threw it away back then,probably i wouldn't have discovered this series if i did :)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

OMG, SolInvictus, the very same thing happened to me as well. Running around only with Prince and Lyon... I'm pretty sure the game never tells you that.

And yeah, the first time I played Suikoden II, I was stuck in the "find Shu" Quest. I was running around for hours in the South Window area and was sure that to proceed the story, I need to find a Celadon Urn and recruit Lebrante. I was 10 back then, but that's just stupid.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

That reminds me, I used to think Mazus always had to be the 108th character so I always leave him for last coz he's not good at meditation and may need more time
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

In the same kind, it took me twenty years and a dozen plays of Monkey Island before I finally discovered that you could meet the voodoo lady at the right of the voodoo house with the rubber chicken...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

wataru14 wrote:I played Suikoden 1 for more than 10 years before I realized you could rest in the coffins in Neclord's Castle. I played the game for more than 15 years before I realized you can heal by drinking the water outside the Village of the Hidden Rune.
Seconded. On both accounts.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

wataru14 wrote:I played Suikoden 1 for more than 10 years before I realized you could rest in the coffins in Neclord's Castle. I played the game for more than 15 years before I realized you can heal by drinking the water outside the Village of the Hidden Rune.

...wait, what? You can drink water in the Village of the Hidden Rune?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:

...wait, what? You can drink water in the Village of the Hidden Rune?
I'm so seconding this.

Time for another replay, I see.
SolInvictus

Post by SolInvictus »

If you could be inside my head right now you would be hearing a very loud version of Homer Simpson yelling "DOH". My pride as being knowledgeable about this franchise is taking a hit right now. I did know about the coffins but had no clude about the Village of the Hidden Rune.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I can't remember what is Village of the Hidden Rune. Ted's grandpa?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

You can drink the water outside the Village of the Hidden Rune after the fire. When your party is on the path outside the village (on the way to meet Yuber and get the Boar Crystal from the chest) you pass a bit of running water on the eastern edge of the map. There is a small outcropping that is very hard to see. Walk right up to the edge of the path and you will automatically drink the water (you don't need to select it). It will refill your HP and MP.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

gildedtalon wrote:I can't remember what is Village of the Hidden Rune. Ted's grandpa?
The Village of the Hidden Rune is where you meet Ted's grandpa, if that's what you meant to ask.