So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:41 am

sticky-runes wrote:
So Suikoden is your mistress :!:


I would say Rina is my mistress :P

freshmetal, the way I got my wife into Suikoden was by telling her it was a great story told under a different medium. Then again, if your wife has no interest in novels or epic movies, then perhaps she would never get into Suikoden either. My wife got hooked by Suikoden because she already liked such stories under the form of a book or a movie. This is how I got the idea to get her into it.

Reminiscing, I definitely observed that she got into the game when Odessa died, which is the first major plot twist you observe. Beforehands, it's mostly a magical/fantasy setting that could just be played as a support for a game. When Odessa dies, suddenly the narration becomes deeper and more interresting.

Oh she kept on playing S2 and she just beat Neclord's creature so she inherited the castle and then recruited Shu and defeated Solon Jee. A few of her thoughts:

-she likes Freed for being humble and faithful. She is still to meet Yoshino. She hates Shu so far and doesn't trust him at all, she keeps on thinking he'll betray her. She loved the backstory of Genkakku and praised the music.

-when Apple and the others are looking for the coin in the water, she says she could feel their cold... Oh, an interesting thing, when Shu tosses the coin he says it's a coin from the Island nations, which only appear in S4, that's one big anticipation from the guys who made the game! I guess someone here on this board already observed that, right?

-Her characters keep on being undertrained because she rushes more into the storyline than she did with the first game.

-she found Richmond a bit out of place in the ambient of the game, especially his theme music (this comment comes from a jazz lover, she is even a sax player herself, but still, she found this theme strange in a world like suikoden's)

-We had a conversation the other day during dinner about which city we would like to live in if we were in the Scarlet Moon Empire. She said she would like to live in the Forest village because it's quiet, green, there is a guy who makes bath (we both love Finnish sauna a lot) and because it could be fun to run into "the clumsy one that screws up teleportation all the time" (she has a poor grip on the name of the characters whose role in the storyline is secondary, she calls Jeane "the bimbo one" and Sheena "the one who looks like a girl"... oh and she calls Rina "the trap" because she says she's such an easy trap for me to fall into)

-oh and last but not least, here is something you're going to like: she always said I have very calming hands, when she was pregnant if the baby was moving I would just have to lay my hand on her belly and the baby would stop, even today I can calm the baby by touching it and she feels it too. She is a very rational person but she always enjoyed the little crazy idea that I had magical hands. Now she claims I bear the "calming rune" in my hands and this is why I calm people. When I calm her or our child with my hands she makes a little "ting!" like if it were a rune... Yes, I still can't believe how much she got into it.

User avatar
wataru14
Guide Writer
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby wataru14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:25 am

BrucePrintscreen wrote:she found Richmond a bit out of place in the ambient of the game, especially his theme music (this comment comes from a jazz lover, she is even a sax player herself, but still, she found this theme strange in a world like suikoden's)


Wait until she plays S3.

User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 am

wataru14 wrote:
BrucePrintscreen wrote:she found Richmond a bit out of place in the ambient of the game, especially his theme music (this comment comes from a jazz lover, she is even a sax player herself, but still, she found this theme strange in a world like suikoden's)


Wait until she plays S3.


I never played S3 myself :lol: it's hard to find it in Europe. But we'll be looking for a way to play it.

User avatar
sticky-runes
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby sticky-runes » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 am

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
-she likes Freed for being humble and faithful. She is still to meet Yoshino.


Freed is an under-appreciated character. His wife is awesome as well. I love the Radat theme music.

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
-when Apple and the others are looking for the coin in the water, she says she could feel their cold... Oh, an interesting thing, when Shu tosses the coin he says it's a coin from the Island nations, which only appear in S4, that's one big anticipation from the guys who made the game! I guess someone here on this board already observed that, right?



Island Nations are mentioned quite a few times throughout S2. I believe Amada is from the Island Nations? Shu also briefly mentions them near the endgame when he talks about destroying the "Root of the war." I think Gordon might mention them as well.

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
-she found Richmond a bit out of place in the ambient of the game, especially his theme music (this comment comes from a jazz lover, she is even a sax player herself, but still, she found this theme strange in a world like suikoden's)



I grew up watching the Hercules and Xena TV shows, so historical fantasy settings with modern bits creeping in was nothing new to me, I just thought of moments like that as the game having fun with itself, although the private eye recruits got a bit annoying in later games. What DID throw me off was the foot steps when you hear Richmond creeping around in the dark. I couldn't imagine sprites walking around like that, so I thought there was somebody in the room with me :shock:

User avatar
Winterswhite
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:37 pm
Location: On planet Earth

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby Winterswhite » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
freshmetal, the way I got my wife into Suikoden was by telling her it was a great story told under a different medium. Then again, if your wife has no interest in novels or epic movies, then perhaps she would never get into Suikoden either. My wife got hooked by Suikoden because she already liked such stories under the form of a book or a movie. This is how I got the idea to get her into it.


Reading stories is one of my favorite things to do (especially if its fiction, they seem to exploit more imagination and creativity). This is why RPGs are my favorite genre with their more complex stories.

BrucePrintscreen wrote:-she found Richmond a bit out of place in the ambient of the game, especially his theme music (this comment comes from a jazz lover, she is even a sax player herself, but still, she found this theme strange in a world like suikoden's)

I wonder how she'll react to Gadget. :)

BrucePrintscreen wrote:-We had a conversation the other day during dinner about which city we would like to live in if we were in the Scarlet Moon Empire. She said she would like to live in the Forest village because it's quiet, green, there is a guy who makes bath (we both love Finnish sauna a lot) and because it could be fun to run into "the clumsy one that screws up teleportation all the time"

I kinda like topics about people having their real life selves interacting with fictional stuff (That was probably not the best way to describe that.) Dunno why. I'd live in Antei cause Mina and Jeane are there :wink: just kidding, I just think it looks cool but I would like to have access to a runemistress and talented dancer.


BrucePrintingmachine wrote: Now she claims I bear the "calming rune" in my hands and this is why I calm people. When I calm her or our child with my hands she makes a little "ting!" like if it were a rune... Yes, I still can't believe how much she got into it.

I have the herp derp rune embedded in my head.

Maybe I have more self esteem than that :oops: Lemme rephrase that, I have the Rune of Change since I often change my mind.

User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 am

Winterswhite wrote:I have the herp derp rune embedded in my head.

Maybe I have more self esteem than that :oops: Lemme rephrase that, I have the Rune of Change since I often change my mind.



Some calls it the herp derp rune, but we prefer to call it the Rune of Scattered Consciousness. It's like when you're in a long road-trip and someone tells you that you are the Bearer of the True Rune of Eternal Overflow but it's just a polite way of telling you that we have enough of stopping at every station so you can take a pee!

On original topic: sorry guys we haven't been playing a lot lately, more stories will come forward if you are still enjoying this :)

User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

And the winner is... Kasumi! My wife reached the stage when you return to Gregminster and has to choose between Kasumi and Valeria. She pondered for a while and complained that she wanted both. In the end, Kasumi's speed was better than Valeria's awesome look.

I haven't been updating too much this thread because she actually became sort of a mainstream Suikoden fan now and her reactions are less original than they used to be. She has become one of us: a Suikoden exegete scrutinizer who spends far too much time overexploring a 20 year old game. I love her even more for this.

User avatar
AlOnZo
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 am
Location: GLA

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby AlOnZo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm

You are one lucky man! Next thing we know there will be a MrsPrintscreen joining the ranks here. :lol:

User avatar
freshmetal
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby freshmetal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:59 pm

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I haven't been updating too much this thread because she actually became sort of a mainstream Suikoden fan now and her reactions are less original than they used to be. She has become one of us: a Suikoden exegete scrutinizer who spends far too much time overexploring a 20 year old game. I love her even more for this.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

:lol:
PSN: FreshMetal80

zqrahll
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby zqrahll » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm

sticky-runes wrote:Pesmerga is basically the Boba Fett of Suikoden. He does F.A. but we're supposed to like him because he's got a cool helmet and we don't know much about him :roll:


That is a perfect analogy. Pesmerga & Boba Fett both have their fanboys just based off looking cool despite having little to no depth or importance. I can't stand either character.

I might try to get my niece to play these games when she is a bit older-- she would probably like them a lot. She's only 5, right now she just plays Angry Birds & Lego Star Wars. I have taught her to play D&D though-- she has to LARP a little bit, putting her fairy wings on so she can play her pixie properly.

User avatar
Piisuke
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 am
Location: London, UK

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby Piisuke » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 am

zqrahll wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:Pesmerga is basically the Boba Fett of Suikoden. He does F.A. but we're supposed to like him because he's got a cool helmet and we don't know much about him :roll:


That is a perfect analogy. Pesmerga & Boba Fett both have their fanboys just based off looking cool despite having little to no depth or importance. I can't stand either character.

I might try to get my niece to play these games when she is a bit older-- she would probably like them a lot. She's only 5, right now she just plays Angry Birds & Lego Star Wars. I have taught her to play D&D though-- she has to LARP a little bit, putting her fairy wings on so she can play her pixie properly.


As I mentioned this before - when there's characters whom do not have a lot of story elements dedicated to them, you'll look for other characteristics.
Pesmerga has a lot of fans, because he stands out. He has an aura, he looks mysterious. With a bunch of fighters whom, mostly, wear no armour, a full clad black knight stands out, don't you think? Ignoring unites, he's also a solid fighter.

Heck, I think Fu Su Lu is badass. Not because he wears a tiger mask, but because he stands out and he's a big hitter.

Compare that to, Griffith, or Kreutz... I'm sorry, but Pesmerga and Fu Su Lu any day.

User avatar
wataru14
Guide Writer
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby wataru14 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 am

Pesmerga and Fu are useless. Who cares if you have Strength out the wazoo? Their skill is so low they never hit anything. Late game they get counterattacked more often than anything else. Give me Valeria, Cleo, and Flik any day.

User avatar
BrucePrintscreen
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby BrucePrintscreen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:05 am

wataru14 wrote:Pesmerga and Fu are useless. Who cares if you have Strength out the wazoo? Their skill is so low they never hit anything. Late game they get counterattacked more often than anything else. Give me Valeria, Cleo, and Flik any day.


Valeria is definitely one of my favourite characters, both gameplay-wise and personality-wise. Gameplay-wise, she is extremely reliable, solid, and efficient. Personality-wise, here is a woman who fights like a man and is full of dignity & humanity: she betrays her genocidal boss putting her morals above obedience, she puts her life at risk for the life of other beings who are supposed to be her ennemies, she volunteers to be captured to save her brother in arms, she always remain serene... I love her portrait in SII, she looks so dignified, mature, and genuinely a strong person. That beats any kind of black armour to me.

User avatar
Piisuke
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 am
Location: London, UK

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby Piisuke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 am

wataru14 wrote:Pesmerga and Fu are useless. Who cares if you have Strength out the wazoo? Their skill is so low they never hit anything. Late game they get counterattacked more often than anything else. Give me Valeria, Cleo, and Flik any day.


Golden Hydra doesn't counter, so no problem there.

Also, Kobold +1 ATK says hi.

I'd rather deal 3k dmg using three character to a single head, as opposed to like 200-500 dmg to two out of the three heads with a Fire Rune / Rage Rune, because of their resistance / immunities.

And if you like Flik, you'll probably bring Alen and Grenseal along to benefit from the Pretty Boy ATK which deals 2k-2.5k to a head per turn.

User avatar
wataru14
Guide Writer
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Postby wataru14 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I never use either of those unites. That much damage against one target is really only necessary for bosses (you'd just Deadly Fingertips a single random encounter monster that was THAT scary), and there is no dungeon with a boss that doesn't lock at least one Short-Ranger into your party after you get the characters necessary to use those unites. Neclord's Castle locks too many people into the battle party to use either of the two unites, Seek Valley locks two Short-Rangers, Shasarazade locks one, and Gregminster locks two. Having a Short-Range character in the back row makes me cringe. I won't do it.

To use the Kobold+1 Attack against the final boss would require two dead weight characters to travel with you through the whole final dungeon and Flik to be downgraded to healer. The scripted soldier battles would take forever once you run out of uses of Hell two rooms in. You'd have to keep going in and out to rest. Pretty Boy Attack is a little better since you'd only have one Short-Ranger in the back row and Alen or Grenseal can sling spells during random encounters, but again Flik has to heal (unless you make Viktor do it ... since he can't hit anything either).


Return to “General Suikoden Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests