So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
JeaneIsMyWaifu

Re: So, my wife is playing Suikoden...

Post by JeaneIsMyWaifu »

Wow.. I think I'll try it with my future wife (if she's not a gamer).

On the topic of having underused characters, I think Suikoden's biggest strength is that there are 108 characters of which half (or more) are playable. I always like to play around with different parties for every major events and try to avoid using the same characters over and over. Suikoden's advantage is that it's very easy to level up so any character that's underdevelled can easily catch up within 1 or 2 battles.

And Bruce, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Karen was a useful character. There are also others like Millie or Wendel in S4 who are just wonderful when they are high level.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I'm back from a trip just in time for a party organised for my daughter. My wife did little decorations for the cakes and stuff. On some of the decorations, she used modified Suikoden sprites to represent our family. She used George to represent me (I'm flattered, I don't have that much hair anymore!) and Eileen to represent herself (although she modified it so much it looks like if Eileen got Kasumi's haircut). She used Meg from SI to represent our daughter (Pilika would have been more of the right age but my wife said Pilika is too sad a character to represent her).
Ahhhh, now I understand why you’re protecting Eileen with your life! To avoid the Printscreen Family Attack, I will never again say anything bad about Georg, Eileen and Meg. :wink:
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Willster328

Post by Willster328 »

Loved reading through this thread and seeing your story with your wife! I wish my girlfriend would have an open mind about this kind of game. But I know she'd invariably be unable to suspend her reality for a moment and look for ways to pick it apart. It's always unique to get a woman's perspective on these games too to see whom she relates to. It's too bad she hasn't finished S2 yet, but alas there's not much more left afterward anyways. If you find that she doesn't have time for S3, or you think the game itself might ruin things for her, I HIGHTLY recommend getting her the 10 volume manga. Yes, it's anime-esque, but the storyline is just so plain fantastic with such great artwork and carryover from S1 and S2 that it might be an easier transition than actually trying to get her to play the game.

@Pesmerga talk: I always liked Pesmerga because I always assumed he was more than a man. Just as Yuber has a potential True Rune and represents the "Chaos" side of the Runes, Pesmerga being the "Order" side just strikes me as awesome, as a mythological champion who fights for justice within the universe. Hard to explain other than that.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

The Printscreen family is going through a lot of work and we are not really able to play. Furthermore, Little Miss Printscreen is sick this week, like she's never been before :( So Mrs Printscreen decided to cheer up the whole family by making a cake. Knowing that our daughter enjoys watching us in action, she took her and put her on her high chair in the kitchen so she can see her cook. She did that by saying "come on little girl, it's time for you to see a cook-off!" and she took her in the kitchen singing the cook-off theme...
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Mrs Printscreen will never know the end of Suikoden II. She lost her life on January this year, leaving my daughter and I alone with each other to rebuild a possible future.

It took me a lot of time to even envision the possibility of enjoying anything, and my attempts at rebonding with past hobbies or interests are generally aborted very soon. But I came back on this forum because I decided to collect several testimonies of her to put in a folder I will give our daughter when she will be bigger and going through an age of really understanding what happened. I remembered this topic and how it was full of little notes that says so much about who this woman really was, her joys and her sensibillities, and the kind of silly fun we enjoyed to share and she intended to share with our daughter someday. I printed it and added it to the collection. Re-reading all of it made me very moved, which is something I have learnt to become used to. I hope our daughter will find it useful in her quest to understand who her mother was.

I thank all of you for having participated in this collection of memories that I never anticipated would be so precious someday, and I hope the time will come soon when I will envision having so much fun again as I had with all of this. Thanks, people, you and this game brought a lot of smiles in our life at some point :)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Oh Bruce I had no idea... I noticed you have been absent from these forums for a while and just assumed you were busy with work and family life, I never imagined anything like this. I'm so sorry for your loss and for your daughter's loss. You're such a decent bloke and I have had so much fun chatting with you about Suikoden and random stuff. Your wife must have been so happy and proud of her time with you, I know she meant the world to you. I hope you'll stay in touch. Best wishes to you and your little "Flare", love Sticky xx :cry:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I am terribly sorry for your loss, Bruce. But at the same time, I am glad that you could enjoy your life together so much, and that this game was a part of this experience. Good luck to you and your daughter. Maybe at some point, she'll pick up the games and enjoy them as much as you and your wife did together.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I’m sorry for your loss. That’s beyond terrible. I wish you and your daughter all the strength to carry on, and find a way back to a joyful life. The sun will bring the flower to beautiful bloom, and the smile of the flower will make the sun rise again day by day.

I’m looking forward to you telling us about your daughter’s first Suikoden experiences, but of course we would like to have you back much sooner.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

My condolences.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

My condolences, man.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Oh God Bruce. I am so sorry to hear that. Words fail to convey my sympathies, but stay strong.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

My condolences man. Sorry if I am being indiscreet, but what was her cause of death?
Roshambeaux89

Post by Roshambeaux89 »

I've never met Bruce or his wife but upon hearing the news my eyes welled up. For all the joy that your posts provided the Suikoden community with, I felt all the inverse emotions when hearing about her passing. I cannot explain why I felt the way I did but my deepest condolences go out to those affected by the lost.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

My goodness Bruce, I randomly decided to come back only to see this heartbreaking news. My heartfelt condolences. I just want to say, thank you for sharing your experience with your late-wife playing through the games. I initially logged back in because I thought I wanted to share that I finally got my own wife (then gf, we got married earlier this year) to play the game. So far, we've finished S1 and are in the midst of S2 at the moment. I just want to say, reading about your experience was what inspired me to spend all the time convincing my wife to play it, and similar to what you shared previously, she is enjoying every moment of it.

I really thank you for sharing your experience and hope that you will be able to find solace and peace in your life. I'm sure your daughter will grow up to be a lovely woman, no doubt just like her mother. My condolences again.
Long time lurker...
Rockland

Post by Rockland »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
It doesn't trivialise war. Each Suikoden game is about a big war but no one sees it as a trivial thing. Nanami longs to walk out of it. Tir leaves for a pastoral life as soon as the conflict is over. Cleo is tired of fighting and goes back to her house. Mathiu was reluctant to kill. All and every character has, deep inside, only one wish: for the war to be over and go back to a more fruitful life.
This makes their battle even more interesting, because they give everything they have for victory but with no hatred and no jubilation: they just want it to end as soon as possible.
It is also a much more realistic point of view. All and every war veteran I met in my life has shown reluctance to reminisce about it. My wife's granfather is viewed in her family as a hero for what he did in WWII but he always refused to talk about it himself: what we see as the time when he fought nazis, he sees it as these frightening years when he killed other young dudes. Deep inside, I know he is far more proud of what he did after the war: contributing to society, starting a nice family, being socially active, starting a business... At more than 80, this beats his war experience. I bet Suikoden characters would feel the same.

You fight for diversity. In contrast with the ranks of the Scarlet Moon Empire or the Highland Army, which shows a clean and neat horizon of uniformed guys, your own armies are full of different people. In both S1 and 2, you stand for several races and several social stratas. I won't underline the obvious, what with Kirkis and the kobolds, etc. But simply, what's in common between a rich merchant like Lepant and a scoundrel like Krin who wanted to steal his stuff in the first place? What does unite wanderers like Rina&Eilie with aristocrats like Vincent or a spoiled brat like Nina? They all fight together still. What you defend is a world where everyone has their place, against a monolithic society of grey uniforms.
The same goes for gender roles. Women in your side can go from the homely type like Yoshino and Helga to amazons like Oulan or Lorelai, passing by the clever yet humble Apple, the powerful yet absent-minded Viki, the seemingly perfect Jeane next to the tomboyish Nanami, none of them is an absolute model and yet each of them is. The message is: whatever kind of woman you want to be, there's a place for you here.
Same goes for men, the hypermasculine Viktor next to effeminated figures like Milich, there are cooks and engineers alike, Hix is full of doubts while Clive is hyperconfident, Tai Ho and Yam Koo are faithful buddies but Pesmerga is a loner, everything is possible here.
This feeling of a big, diverse, community, is a sweet utopia, it feels good to experience it when you play the game.

That was so well said, the Suikoden creators did the game very well, however it is also the community of the game that gave it it's colors, appreciating every single details, deep in our hearts.