Suikoden MMO (Or the next step the series should go)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Tack

Suikoden MMO (Or the next step the series should go)

Post by Tack »

Here we go, *Flame shield on*

Assume Konami actually continues the series, which way should do you guys think it should go? Of course more good games, but think about this. Series like Star Wars, Final Fantasy, hell even Dragon Quest have actually gotten to a point where you could play in the online world, okay so it will never happen, but say it does. Do you think this could be a logical step for the series?
Piisuke

Re: Suikoden MMO (Or the next step the series should go)

Post by Piisuke »

I don't think this is the next step. The problem with MMOs is World of Warcraft. As long as WoW exists, there's a likely chance the MMO will fail and doesn't garner the audience it requires to maintain it.
Look at all the MMOs that have come and gone - Aion, Rift, etc. Only Guild Wars and now Guild Wars 2 have had a strong membership. WoW has 10 million and is still going strong, despite the game being years old now. MMOs cost money to maintain and update, Konami doesn't have a good track record of maintaining their franchises, case in point: Pro Evo, Castlevania and our beloved Suikoden. Metal Gear Solid is the only franchise that has kept them going, but that says more about Kojima's Fox Unit than it says about Konami.
Blueknight

Post by Blueknight »

I would love to see the series on next gen consoles especially Ps4 keep the graphics close to part 2 just a little updated.

But the next step should be maybe you can choose one of three characters to play as, but only play as the one you pick not like part 3.

And make it to where you will only get certain people with each faction that you choose to play like maybe around 40 of the 108 stars will be faction specific.

That would make the replay value of the game greatly increased.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Tack wrote:Here we go, *Flame shield on*

Assume Konami actually continues the series, which way should do you guys think it should go? Of course more good games, but think about this. Series like Star Wars, Final Fantasy, hell even Dragon Quest have actually gotten to a point where you could play in the online world, okay so it will never happen, but say it does. Do you think this could be a logical step for the series?
And all that series are basically dead. $quare €nix is basically broke and IMHO is exactly because they fucked all their franchises with j-pop and on line. :lol:

Don't misunderstand me, I like mmorpg, I played SWOR a couple of months. MMORPG can be a nice addition and get some interest and extra profit of a well working franchise, but it doesn't "resurrect" media on its worse moment, if something it graves it further.

So if things doesn't go well, make the possible to make it work again, then and just then make a mmorpg for extra incomings. But if you try to resurrect a series through yet another mmorpg you will probably fail because the series fans will be disappointed and the mmorpgs fans has lots of choices out there.
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

A Suikoden MMO sounds good in theory... but looking at the MMORPG market right now makes me say it wouldn't be a wise decision. WoW has been steadily losing players and none of the newer ones have reached the same pinnacle of success. The MMO market just seems too much like a big gamble right now.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Suikoden games are very much about the storyline, which is not what MMOs are about, right?

Thus being said, one can use a MMO on a private server to create their own little suikoden-like adventure with friends. I remember years ago I knew some people who created a Ragnarok online server for their private use, and I became interested because its visual style reminded me of Suikoden (I'm not into anime and all so pretty much anything japanese looks the same to me) and I saw it as a good occasion to play some suikoden-like game. Because we were only a handful of people playing it, we started developing characters. It was an interesting experience.