Usage of Suikoden Music in other media

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Runemaster

Usage of Suikoden Music in other media

Post by Runemaster »

Have you ever been caught off guard that suddenly, while watching TV or something, SUIKODEN MUSIC WAS PLAYED??? Because that's exactly what happened to me a few moments ago.
I was watching this intercollegiate cheer dance competition on Youtube (which is sort of a big thing in my country) since I didn't get to see it on TV. When it was the champions' turn (National University), I was watching them intently when a brief snippet from the THEME FROM SOUTH WINDOW was used in their music!!! :shock: The fanboy in me just exploded and I went to a silly trance where that was all I could think of (with a guilty inkling that it might be the lucky charm :mrgreen: ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQ_BfjYivE
Skip to around 3:07 for the music. It was so surreal that I had to post it in here immediately. I wonder if royalties were paid? :lol:

Has anyone else experienced this? Or at least heard the series's music being played somewhere else?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
sticky-runes

Re: Usage of Suikoden Music in other media

Post by sticky-runes »

I didn't think you have to pay royalties if the music only features for under 30 seconds or something like that?

Haven't heard any suikoden music being used elsewhere. One time I thought I heard the mountain theme from S1 being used on a skin cream advert because it had the exact same wind instrument being used in the beginning but the rest was different.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Game One, a popular German tv show about gaming, uses Suikoden music frequently.
http://www.gameone.de/tv/257 at 10:42, e.g. using different Suikoden II tunes.
Belle

Post by Belle »

sticky-runes wrote:I didn't think you have to pay royalties if the music only features for under 30 seconds or something like that?

Haven't heard any suikoden music being used elsewhere. One time I thought I heard the mountain theme from S1 being used on a skin cream advert because it had the exact same wind instrument being used in the beginning but the rest was different.
It's probably safe to say that part was sampled. I've also heard it while watching an oriental dance performance (bellydance) where a woman was dancing with Isis wings.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

just a generic tune, then? like all those bhangra tracks that have the same beat?