Shin

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
TMan

Shin

Post by TMan »

Every time I play S2 I get annoyed at this guy. What an awesome character. Undying devotion to Teresa and an absolute willingness to fight and die for his loyalty. There was something classically romantic about this guy.

Until he joins your party. Everytime this annoying blonde headed (or is it a turban? I could never tell) guy takes a slot in my group I just am so annoyed. Why is he so awful?

Similarly, if I'm getting characters super late in the game, why do the developers think its okay for them to come in with a Level 2 sword?
Dreams do die
gildedtalon

Re: Shin

Post by gildedtalon »

Genshu takes so long to recruit, so weak also
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
TMan

Post by TMan »

The fact that Genshu had no character made his uselessness easier to tolerate for me.
Dreams do die
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Swordman Attack

Shin
Genshu 0.5x damage to all enemies
20% chance of Instant Death

These two haha
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

TMan wrote:Similarly, if I'm getting characters super late in the game, why do the developers think its okay for them to come in with a Level 2 sword?
At least it's not like Suikoden V where literally EVERY CHARACTER is recruited with level 1 weapons, no matter the character's level or how late they're recruited in the game.
PSN: FreshMetal80
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

freshmetal wrote:
TMan wrote:Similarly, if I'm getting characters super late in the game, why do the developers think its okay for them to come in with a Level 2 sword?
At least it's not like Suikoden V where literally EVERY CHARACTER is recruited with level 1 weapons, no matter the character's level or how late they're recruited in the game.
oh god yes, that really got up my tits.

Yeah, they did balls it up with Shin. He's a two handed sword user, but his weak defences and low HP make him really vulnerable on the front row, so he needs constant healing or protection from earth spells. And he has decent magic stats but no additional rune slots available, so i end up giving him scrolls. And the spider slay looks cool, but only one use per battle kind of sucks.
TMan

Post by TMan »

sticky-runes wrote:
freshmetal wrote:
oh god yes, that really got up my tits.

Yeah, they did balls it up with Shin. He's a two handed sword user, but his weak defences and low HP make him really vulnerable on the front row, so he needs constant healing or protection from earth spells. And he has decent magic stats but no additional rune slots available, so i end up giving him scrolls. And the spider slay looks cool, but only one use per battle kind of sucks.
YES. Luckily money was fairly easily made in SV (I thought), otherwise I would have been really pissed. I actually had a tough time keeping my blades sharp in SIV due to lack of funds.
Dreams do die
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

freshmetal wrote:
Especially when they are forced into your party for a dungeon. Lorelau and Zweig come to mind... at least you could put them in a support position.

I never liked SHin, I think he looks stupid. :/ I'm a fan of Genshu, though, even though you'd really expect someone who wants to see your sharpened weapons to be better.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Infinite money code on the action replay is the way to go if you can't be f#cked to do all that trading and just wanna get all weapons sharpened to the max.

Back onto Shin: So, we're supposed to believe he fought off those soldiers while we were escaping the Greenhill forest? Mind you, he did show up at the castle with Fitcher and Nina later on. Probably Nina who saved the day with her fangirl warbling and swinging her book case around.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Does anybody else,thought that he was a woman,when he/she played the game for the first time. My english wasn't that good back then,when i was 12-13 when i played it for the first time,so i couldn't understand the dialogues that much...and i thought that he was a woman with long blonde hair :lol:
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Yeah, Shin was ... disappointing. His 7 growth rate in TEC and LUK makes him an excellent critical hitter, but he has no versatility and his STR and HP are waaaaay too low. When I go to retake Greenhill he goes right into Convoy with Teresa and I put good characters in my party. The only time I use him is in my super-lucky item-drop-hunting party (Shin, Freed, Viki, Riou, Meg, Millie). I know LUK probably plays no role in rare item drops, but I try to hedge my bets anyway. :)
TMan

Post by TMan »

I'm so glad that I am not alone on this. Other dud characters?

Also, just remembering the existence of Zweig and Lorelai in SV makes me feel angry...
Dreams do die
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I thought shin was visually interesting, I like his exotic appearance, but he needed:

At least one extra rune slot
multiple uses for his spider slay
More HP (he's supposed to be a body guard)
Possibly an M range so he could be used from the back row

Any one of these would have been a big improvement for him, but he just doesn't have the versatility that just about ever other sword user in S2 has to offer.
TMan wrote:I'm so glad that I am not alone on this. Other dud characters?

Also, just remembering the existence of Zweig and Lorelai in SV makes me feel angry...
Why don't you like Zweig and Lorelai? I thought they were awesome (Lorelai was sh!t in S1, but in 2 and 5 she's got a lot more substance). Killey was the prat in that game. His trolling dialogue, calling us idiots every 2 seconds, and using those pissy little throwing knives. I thought he was much better in S2 with his duel weapons.

For some reason, I could never get along with Zamza in S2. He's one of the earliest characters you get, but I hardly ever used him compared to the other early recruits. Did anybody else find a lot of use for him?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Zamza can be OK. If he had a third Rune Slot he'd be great. I usually give him Fire Lizard on his weapon and Fire Sealing in his open slot so he does decent melee damage with no drawback. He has high MP and an A affinity with Fire, though, so that setup completely ignores his magical aptitude. If he had a head slot for a Fire Rune he'd be really really good.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Shin indeed looks awesome, at least in my eyes. He certainly caught my attention.
I'm just gutted with his 1 Rune Slot which is an awesome looking ability, but can only be used once. If it were like Oulan, equip Fury Rune for infinite uses, he'd be a lot better.