New to the series (Random first post)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: New to the series (Random first post)

Post by sticky-runes »

The private eye character does actually give instructions on how to recruit people, if you don't mind paying and waiting for him to get back.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

And you can recruit him in Radat, standing outside the appraisal shop. You'll have to figure out yourself how to recruit him. ;)
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Well, suikoden 2 is now over. Popped in number 3. Have to say, the last boss was hard....Kinda.

The bosses 3 aoe attacks combined with Viki's blue gate rune took out my entire back row. Wakaba without doubt was my MVP with double strike and exertion rune. She fell along with the bodyguard person. By some odd fate, the "right head" and "left leg" were the last things standing and could not touch me since I had STILL forgotten to remove the fire sealing rune since the beginning of the game off of my main char. Ahh good times.

Booted up Suikoden 3...It does not seem anything like the first two....
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Suikoden III is a much better game, lots of challenging battles you don't have to win
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

The Silver Wolf / Beast Rune can be tricky indeed. One of the legs can revive heads and limbs, the other can inflict a bunch of status effects. Me no gusta!

I disagree with Suikoden III being a much better game. There's a group of people that will say III is the best, but the general concensus is that II is the best game in the franchise. III definitely had it's moments, but apart from IV, I find that the weakest game in the series.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Meh, I will have to find out for myself (I am resurving all judgement until paying all 5...or 6...Well now 7)

As an update I was informed that there was/is a DS game and was given that to play.

Sigh, I am never going to finish all of these haha.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You should play the Playstation (2) ones first as they are at least losely connected whereas the DS game stands on its own.

There is also a fantranslation of SUikogaiden Vol. 1, a graphical novel that takes place ~at the time of Suikoden II. Just to add another game to your list. :D
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

*whine

I did not know the quest that awaited me when I took on this challange.

But I will march on.

I actually dont see myself stopping until they are all complete.

Besides, Suikoden 3 actually has somewhat up to date graphics, heh.

Must have been interesting for the suikoden fans having to actually wait for all of the games to be released.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, I can only imagine. Suikoden V was the first one I pre-ordered; I bought II when I was 11 , III never got released here and so I did not know about IV or Tactics until I saw them when I randomly walked into a store.

But yeah, your quest is far from over, and I hope that's true for all Suikoden fans *potential SUikoden VI, I'm looking at you!*
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I spent ages waiting for Suikoden 3 to come out in the UK and it never came. Then one day I saw Suikoden 4 in a game store, and I was like "W.T.F.?" and i asked the staff if they ever had any copies of 3 and they looked it up on their data base and said it was never released in the UK. I finally lost my Suikoden 3 virginity last year when a friend of mine managed to get me a copy by some round-about means.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Wow, I have not updated about my journey in a while. I DID finish Suikoden 3 though.

Oddly enough my favorite part of it was the Thomas section. It was kinda like it's own little mini-story and I was able to get most of the people in the game during those chapters. OH and when Duke comes to save the day, that part was pretty rough.

I picked Geddoe as my Flame champion. He just made more sense to me, Hugo is young and most likely would have just went along with Mommy. While on the other hand, Chris would be pretty restricted by the Zexen Council, even if we ignore them, Chris was pretty emotional...I mean really, who leaves their army in the middle of a war. Maybe I am just too harsh on her but yeah. I also was dumb enough to think he would keep the true lightning rune instead of what really happened which seemed like the game telling me that I picked the wrong champ so they were just going to make something huge happen in the game (Person getting a true rune) and have no story or plot involved.

Enough with my ranting, I really liked the game and the mount system was really nice. Also the new rune system added some level of difficulty to the game, but mostly it just made me avoid any fire rune.

The end boss was pretty hard for me as I did not do any research. I went in at first with an all magic party which was blown out thanks to the earth rune. I then went with a mixed party and thanks to Viki's flowing rune backfiring it did not go well. Lastly I found a nice group to finish the game with.

I had futch and bright. Then Emily and Sgt. Jordi. Then Geddoe and Nei.

It went pretty well, I just had Jordi and Nei cast healing spells...Well Nei sang. Geddoe and Emily just did whatever they wanted. In the end it was only Emily and Jordi left and I had one kindness drop left (I had water and flowing rune on Jordi) but Emily was able to take it down.

I am pretty sure I could have made a better party but I got so tired of magic being my downfall, so I made a 0 magic team except for healing.

I am on my way to number 4. My friend has a saved game I am loading up because I was told it will help me if I go with new game plus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah Thomas' chapter are my favourites as well. I think they have this classic Suikoden charme of forming a bonding to your HQ which comes a bit short in the other chapters imo.

You can start IV without a NG+, it's not that difficult.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I love Thomas' chapters as well. They kind of take an entrepreneur approach to someone taking over a castle and having to deal with legal matters, unlike the other Suikodens where the hero just moves into an abandoned fort and that's it - instant HQ. I don't really like the layout of the castle, though. All the shops and services are scattered too far apart, and the elevator turns out to be quite useless.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Wow it's been nearly 2 months since I started playing the suikoden series. I was off work last week so I managed to play though Suikoden 4.

Dont really know what to think of it, I will be honest, I did not get that many of the stars....in addition I pretty much stuck to the same people most of the game.

My usual party was the main char, Kika, and the two I started with (Ken and Paula). Sometime after that I replaced Ken and Paula with Maxine and Eugene until I gave up on Eugene and went with Katarina.

I am a fan of the 1v1 battles, not much REALLY changes abount them from game to game it seems but I still like it. The war battle...Not so much. I dont know, it just did not seem as exciting as the other three games. Esp in the beginning where their ship would just have one rune.

The story seemed a bit rushed but it was not bad really. It was different than the other three games, again, I dont know. The game for me is a take it or leave it game, I did not like it as much as any of the first three. There was not as many real personalities like there was in other games, too many non-important chars. I was kinda saddened that there was not really a possibility for more returning chars, I am told Ted is in the game somewhere but I never got him or saw him, maybe I did not have enough people. The story did have a few twists that was nice but all around pretty short game.

Lastly the rune....I was not a fan of it. It just felt like the blue gate rune mixed with the soul eater. I mean really, the instant death move being the third tier move, soul eater got that right away, and it did not kill me :(. I am told it gets stronger if you have all of the stars which I did not so that might be why I disliked it.

I started the game with my friends new game plus so I started it with a rage rune and a fury rune which gave me a huge advantage but it did not help me at the end. The last boss (Tree thing) was the most difficult one for me out of all of the suikoden games so far. It must have taken me 8+ tries to beat it.

I think I am going to move right onto suikoden 5 at this point, I just dont know if I can muster up the energy to go though a tactics game right now.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

darkknightkv wrote:Wow it's been nearly 2 months since I started playing the suikoden series. I was off work last week so I managed to play though Suikoden 4.

Dont really know what to think of it, I will be honest, I did not get that many of the stars....in addition I pretty much stuck to the same people most of the game.

My usual party was the main char, Kika, and the two I started with (Ken and Paula). Sometime after that I replaced Ken and Paula with Maxine and Eugene until I gave up on Eugene and went with Katarina.

I am a fan of the 1v1 battles, not much REALLY changes abount them from game to game it seems but I still like it. The war battle...Not so much. I dont know, it just did not seem as exciting as the other three games. Esp in the beginning where their ship would just have one rune.

The story seemed a bit rushed but it was not bad really. It was different than the other three games, again, I dont know. The game for me is a take it or leave it game, I did not like it as much as any of the first three. There was not as many real personalities like there was in other games, too many non-important chars. I was kinda saddened that there was not really a possibility for more returning chars, I am told Ted is in the game somewhere but I never got him or saw him, maybe I did not have enough people. The story did have a few twists that was nice but all around pretty short game.

Lastly the rune....I was not a fan of it. It just felt like the blue gate rune mixed with the soul eater. I mean really, the instant death move being the third tier move, soul eater got that right away, and it did not kill me :(. I am told it gets stronger if you have all of the stars which I did not so that might be why I disliked it.

I started the game with my friends new game plus so I started it with a rage rune and a fury rune which gave me a huge advantage but it did not help me at the end. The last boss (Tree thing) was the most difficult one for me out of all of the suikoden games so far. It must have taken me 8+ tries to beat it.

I think I am going to move right onto suikoden 5 at this point, I just dont know if I can muster up the energy to go though a tactics game right now.
Suikoden 5 is definitely a return to the old fashioned style of 1 and 2, so I think you'll like it. I won't add any spoilers for you.

It's good that you at least appreciated parts of Suikoden 4. I actually really like the Rune of Punishment myself. Yes, it eats away at the hero every time he uses it in combat, but that is the idea - it's a cursed rune, you're not supposed to want to rely on it as a cheat in battles, and your friends have already sworn to fight for you so you don't have to use its power unless absolutely necessary. Plus you get to witness the memories of its previous owners so it really gave me a sense of being doomed. I think it was an interesting take on the idea of a cursed rune, whereas with the Soul Eater in S1, you could just zap enemies with it all day and there were no repercussions.
Oh, if you had used Reinhold's training game, then you could have built your characters up to a high enough level to kick the final boss' ass no problem.

But don't let any of your doubts about Suikoden 4 put you off playing Tactics. Tactics actually does fill in a few blanks from 4, and a lot of the characters are given more dialogue and personalities. Plus it has really good rune system.