New to the series (Random first post)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
darkknightkv

New to the series (Random first post)

Post by darkknightkv »

So like the title says I am new to the series and I just found this site so I figured I would create an introductory thing instead of just lurking around.

About a month ago I was talking to my friend and he was shocked that I had never played these so yeah he loaned me 1-5 and a tactics game. Now I did loan him some PS1 games as well.

I am just playing them though, no guides or trying to get every char (Except one or two I am told I MUST get heh)

So far I have beat suikoden 1 (Vic, Flik, Main char, Mina, Lotta, and Elissa???(The one guys wife)) as my final team. I really liked the game.

So now I am onto Suikoden 2. I am at the part that...How do I say this without spoilers....AH, I JUST got a father and son team to join me.

So far I am really enjoying 2, more than 1 actually just due to being able to have more than one rune. I think I like soul eater over bright shield though.

ANYWAY my current team makeup (So far) is Main char, Was(Sorry, ninja girl who I thought was a guy), The body guard female (That I was told how to get and was told was the best person ever by my friend), Nina, Freed's Wife, and Viki. Viki's rune seems pretty similar to the soul eater.

From several of the rankings I have seen that it is generally accepted that 4 is the worse? But the best is usually a toss up between 1, 2 and 5.

So all of this being said I wanted to say hello, I will be lurking around and talking some. Any interesting advice to give? Possibly without telling me the entire plot of any of the games. Is my current group for suikoden 2 "Do-able"? :D
sticky-runes

Re: New to the series (Random first post)

Post by sticky-runes »

Welcome to the series.

You mean Eileen, not Elissa.

When you get around to playing 4, I recommend you do use a guide. It's not a difficult game, but there are a few missable characters, and it's worth going for 108 so you can get the most out of Tactics using the data transfer.

But play through the series at your own pace and get to know the games naturally.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Maybe I am thinking of the Elza person who I dont actually have yet and was not even in Suikoden 1. Yeah, I butchered her name, but she made a pretty good healer.

I am pretty sure there were better people, I must have missed 30 or more of them in the first game.

I will have to look into a guide for the fourth one. I will have to see how long I have the games. I did the first suikoden as a semi-rushed game because I thought the game would be longer (Most likely is if I tried to get everything).

But my friend is still on the first of four games I gave him to play. (Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, Legaia 2, and Persona 3) If all of the suikoden games are about as long as the first one, I can take my time.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Haha Legaia, I still have the game and never figure out how to play properly. Annoying battle system in my opinion
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, only the fourth one is maybe equally short as the first (depends on how you played^^), the other games of the series are definitely longer.

But it's great to see a total newbie here! All this talk about maximizing damage and insane walkthroughs made me tired, but this is just awesome. I never heard of anyone using Yoshino without being forced to do so. :D And do you mean Kasumi, by any chance? OR, ah, I guess you mean Wakaba! She's not a ninja :P

Also, you don't need to be careful about spoilers here, I guess most of us know Suikoden II's story better than... well.. other things.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

4 is very short. First time I played, i thought I was only halfway through, and I was like "oh, this is the end?" But when you pair it with Tactics, you're in for a really cool experience.

3 and 5 are very rich in dialogue.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Ahh yes it is Wakaba, she is not too bad.

I guess my theory behind using Yoshino is that I was using luc at first but he did not seem thrilled at all about being there when he joined and he seems to completely hate life since he joined the army. On the other hand Yoshino begged/forced her way into the army and said over and over that she wanted to fight.

So basically my logic is Laundry girl with a fighting spirit > Superpower mage who acts like he hates everyone.

At least it's that way until she shows me that she cant hold her own weight in my group....Then she is kicked out.

I seem to be making random choices based on a made up story going on in my head haha. :lol:

Besides, I think I have somehow made a group of all females except for the main char....But yet not using a single person that I think would be dateable for him. Fun! Maybe viki...But one wrong move and you get teleported to the middle of the ocean...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I like Yoshino. I don't really use her for any serious missions towards the end of the game, but it's nice to have someone to hold Freed's hand (Even if she ends up taking the brunt during their co-op attack, she should probably take a page out of Tengaar's book.)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I like that you use Wakaba - I loved her and used her in every playthrough (even though I also thought at first that she's a boy...).

But don't you think it's a bit cruel that you don't use Freed?

"But [Hero], I said I wanted to join because I wanted to be with my husband..."-"Shut up Yoshino and grill these monsters for me."
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well she has to be a little eccentric to get that much pleasure out of washing blood and monster entrails out of everyone's clothes.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Well Freed is back at the base doing laundry. Someone has to do it heh. Plus I really dont like him for some reason, cant reallly place my finger on it but he just does not seem interesting enough.

Well at least I got to a good part in the game (I am guessing). Man, that dude can take some punishment. X amount of arrows, falling from a horse, Several several sword slashes, many attacks from all the elements, and he was still only down to 1/4th of his health during the last duel.

But I can say that the game takes a lot of interesting twists so far.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I like Yoshino, too. She's super average. No real weaknesses. She's pretty balanced all around and has at least a B affinity with all magic types. She gets outlcassed after a while, but she's a solid early-game choice.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Good to see there's still new people playing this game.

I remember during THAT battle I brought Gadget along and he just couldn't kill Gadget, despite him being a barrel made of WOOD and him using FIRE elemental attacks.
I mean, come on now, game.

I actually defeated him in battle two of the three, but the game just pretended it had a nosebleed and carried on... gee, thanks!

I also used Yoshino... something to do with her weapon. Freed... ugh. As for Oulan? Yeah, she's ho.. pretty good when a Fury Rune is equipped on her.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I never got very far using Gadget. Humphrey, however, with a Fire Sealing Rune and a good supply of healing items, can beat Luca Blight by himself.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

I was given 3 people that were highly recommened that I use (Per my friend). Oulan was the first one. I do like her but I know I would not have gotten her if I did not get instructions from him.

I have one I "need" to get in Suikoden 3 and another in suikoden 5.

I dont think I have some of the people you are talking about. But the three fights were not bad. I had at least one person standing in the end of them all so yay.

I am looking forward to what will happen next. I somehow doubt that everything will end and we will all live peacefully. heh.