Suikoden on emulator and flicker border problem

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ericm

Suikoden on emulator and flicker border problem

Post by ericm »

I know for a fact I have successfully emulated Suikoden many times in the past.
I have never seen the flicker border problem before, however it seems I should have, considering it is intrinsically there in the game. I am making a conscious effort for the first time in my suikoden emulation journey to use the PAL versions so that I can successfully transfer my save data to a suik 2 which I will play with the retranslation patch.
If I use epsxe: the only plugins that seem to have the flicker fix are the pete's opengl ones. The problem is, on this paricular computer, no matter what settings I try, they fail to emulate certain things. For example, the text boxes do not have the yellow border, and many chunks of graphics are simply colorless squares.
If I use PSX emulator: well, besides the game not looking nearly as good as an optimal epxe setup, I get the flicker fix problem, and can do nothing about it.

So my question in general is: What the hell do I do? Is there a way to fix the opengl drivers on epsxe, or the flicker problem in psx emulator?
Why doesn't everyone else have the flicker problem? Is it possible the ntsc files dont have it? I never ever before had the use the flicker fix; so why am I needing to now, in 2013?
Sephiroth1311

Re: Suikoden on emulator and flicker border problem

Post by Sephiroth1311 »

The flicker (invisible on TV screens) is a bug of the original game in the pal and 1997 usa version. It's very easy to fix it, I worked on the Italian translation of the game and I had a friend of mine, who can asm hack, fix it. You only have to edit 4 bytes.

If I were home, I'd just tell you which byte you have to change inside the bugged exes of the American version (the sles file and main.exe), but I'm currently working abroad until the end of July.

If you can wait, after getting back I'll look into the pal version in order to find where the bugged instructions are.

Maybe we should have made a fix to put on rom hacking . net, but we just supposed English-speaking people would use the 1996 American version.

I can't help you much fron here, I'm sorry. If you're interested, send me a private message here after July 22, or contact me on sadnes city.it.

Bye!