Suikoden D&D

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
fantasykisala

Suikoden D&D

Post by fantasykisala »

I was thinking about making Suikoden into a D&D like game and was wondering what you all thought of that idea and if anyone would be willing to help me make the manuals and such for it.

The system would be d20, just like normal D&D is.

I have stickyrunes making the monster manual so now I need a player's manual which would need to have races, classes, weapons, armor, information of blacksmithing, items, perks the race/classes have, and last but not least the runes that could be equip to the character along with how to construct a new character. I also need a I would also make a compilation of all of the maps of the different places in the world as well.

Here is the general manual, please tell me what you think of it:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?2qgcdkn5if3tv67
Last edited by fantasykisala on Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sticky-runes

Re: Suikoden D&D

Post by sticky-runes »

I wouldn't mind helping out with the bestiary. I never actually played the original D&D, though. I'm more familiar with those old Ian Livingston adventure books.
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

Alright then, I just need you to put everything that would be in a normal bestiary, but you would need to include all of the monsters in the whole suikoden world. If you can put it in either Microsoft World or in PDF format would be fine. If you want, you can use the official guides that came out for the game and just copy and past them into the bestiary.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

D20 games are overly complex especially at high levels. Try Apocalypse World or Savage Worlds. It's much easier to run.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

fantasykisala wrote:Alright then, I just need you to put everything that would be in a normal bestiary, but you would need to include all of the monsters in the whole suikoden world. If you can put it in either Microsoft World or in PDF format would be fine. If you want, you can use the official guides that came out for the game and just copy and past them into the bestiary.
I've got plenty of resources, but what actual stats would you need? Are you using the exact stats from the games, or coming up with your own system? Do want to include descriptions for each monster? Write an example of how you want a monster entry to appear if that helps...
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

I am using the exact stats from the game and I would love a description on each of the monsters. So I would basicly need every stat that the monster(s) have.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I am running a Suikoden-based D&D game right now. It's set on the Western Continent (mostly original stuff with a few tie-ins to the main game series), but I created a whole runic magic system. I created a website for the game if you want to check out the custom mechanics I made up to "Suikodenize" the game.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

fantasykisala wrote:I am using the exact stats from the game and I would love a description on each of the monsters. So I would basicly need every stat that the monster(s) have.
The thing is, you mentioned monsters from ALL of the games, and there are some monsters that reappear in different games that will be slightly different in terms of stats and fighting style, etc, for example, the skeletons that appear in Suikoden 2 are different from the skeletons that appear in 3, which are different from the skeletons that appear in 4 and Tactics.

So, should we use just one type of skeleton only? I think I'll start by working on the monsters from suikoden 1 first,and worry about "duplicates" later.

Also, do you want to include elemental strengths and weaknesses? Because some Suikoden games never featured a Resurrection or Darkness rune, for example, so I think we might need to use some creative licensing here and there.

Looking back at the Ian Livingstone style fantasies (I got rid of all the old adventure books, but kept the monster guide!)
This is how they do their entries:

MONSTER NAME
SKILL: (the monster's skill in combat, which affects how much damage it will inflict on the player)
STAMINA: (the monster's HP)
HABITAT: (the type of location the monster will be encountered, e.g. ruin, plain, forest)
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: (so you might encounter one or two large monsters or a group of smaller ones)
TYPE: (the type of creature, e.g. magical being, undead, animal, humanoid)
REACTION: (how the monster might react on meeting the player: hostile, friendly or neutral)
INTELLIGENCE: (how smart or dumb the creature is)

Then the creature description goes here blah blah blah.

So, as an example, I'll do an entry for the Killer slime from suikoden 1, using a combination of that and the bestiary from this website:

KILLER SLIME
HP: 40
PWR: 80
SKL: 20
DEF: 15
SPD: 10
MGC: 15
LUK: 26

HABITAT: Mt. Tigerwolf
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 1-6
TYPE: Monster

Description: A creature formed from a slimy substance that hunts its prey on the slopes of Mt. Tigerwolf. It attacks by sliding up to its victim in liquid form, before morphing into a humanoid shape and striking with its arms. Killer Slimes usually hunt in groups. They can be harmed by any type of weapon and rune magic, and are most vulnerable to fire and wind runes.

^ what do you think so far? Too poncy? I could always just do the descriptions for now and worry about stats later.
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

sticky-runes wrote:
fantasykisala wrote:I am using the exact stats from the game and I would love a description on each of the monsters. So I would basicly need every stat that the monster(s) have.
The thing is, you mentioned monsters from ALL of the games, and there are some monsters that reappear in different games that will be slightly different in terms of stats and fighting style, etc, for example, the skeletons that appear in Suikoden 2 are different from the skeletons that appear in 3, which are different from the skeletons that appear in 4 and Tactics.

So, should we use just one type of skeleton only? I think I'll start by working on the monsters from suikoden 1 first,and worry about "duplicates" later.

Also, do you want to include elemental strengths and weaknesses? Because some Suikoden games never featured a Resurrection or Darkness rune, for example, so I think we might need to use some creative licensing here and there.

Looking back at the Ian Livingstone style fantasies (I got rid of all the old adventure books, but kept the monster guide!)
This is how they do their entries:

MONSTER NAME
SKILL: (the monster's skill in combat, which affects how much damage it will inflict on the player)
STAMINA: (the monster's HP)
HABITAT: (the type of location the monster will be encountered, e.g. ruin, plain, forest)
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: (so you might encounter one or two large monsters or a group of smaller ones)
TYPE: (the type of creature, e.g. magical being, undead, animal, humanoid)
REACTION: (how the monster might react on meeting the player: hostile, friendly or neutral)
INTELLIGENCE: (how smart or dumb the creature is)

Then the creature description goes here blah blah blah.

So, as an example, I'll do an entry for the Killer slime from suikoden 1, using a combination of that and the bestiary from this website:

KILLER SLIME
HP: 40
PWR: 80
SKL: 20
DEF: 15
SPD: 10
MGC: 15
LUK: 26

HABITAT: Mt. Tigerwolf
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 1-6
TYPE: Monster

Description: A creature formed from a slimy substance that hunts its prey on the slopes of Mt. Tigerwolf. It attacks by sliding up to its victim in liquid form, before morphing into a humanoid shape and striking with its arms. Killer Slimes usually hunt in groups. They can be harmed by any type of weapon and rune magic, and are most vulnerable to fire and wind runes.

^ what do you think so far? Too poncy? I could always just do the descriptions for now and worry about stats later.
That is perfect, but I do like how you put the elemental weaknesses in the description. I love it. As for the duplicates, we can have for example Skeleton-A, Skeleton-B, etc.
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

wataru14 wrote:I am running a Suikoden-based D&D game right now. It's set on the Western Continent (mostly original stuff with a few tie-ins to the main game series), but I created a whole runic magic system. I created a website for the game if you want to check out the custom mechanics I made up to "Suikodenize" the game.
I would really love to see that. I will be checking out your website.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

fantasykisala wrote: That is perfect, but I do like how you put the elemental weaknesses in the description. I love it. As for the duplicates, we can have for example Skeleton-A, Skeleton-B, etc.
I don't really like A and B names, it sounds too... manufactured to me.

I think maybe it would be nicer to name monsters by region, for example: the Suikoden 2 skeletons could be Tinto skeleton or Neclord Skeleton, and the Suikoden 4/Tactics skeletons could be Obel Ruin skeleton. similar for other recurring creatures such as Golemns, sirens and unicorns. Do you still want to include all of the silly looking monsters, like do-rei-mi elves and holly?
mackevin06

Post by mackevin06 »

What you could do for the duplicates is use an average. For example, say skeletons from one of the games has a STR of 100 and another game's skeletons have a STR of 50, you just use 150/2 = 75. And say a third version of skeleton has a strength of 60, then it would be 210/3 = 70. I don't know what the stats are for skeletons in all the games and I don't feel like looking it up, so I just tried to use easy numbers as an explanation. Good luck with the game!
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

sticky-runes wrote:
I don't really like A and B names, it sounds too... manufactured to me.

I think maybe it would be nicer to name monsters by region, for example: the Suikoden 2 skeletons could be Tinto skeleton or Neclord Skeleton, and the Suikoden 4/Tactics skeletons could be Obel Ruin skeleton. similar for other recurring creatures such as Golemns, sirens and unicorns. Do you still want to include all of the silly looking monsters, like do-rei-mi elves and holly?
Alright, I like your idea more, naming them after the places there are found. The holly and do-re-mi elves I am not so worried with including, only because they are not only silly but they are weak and don't give much exp.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Here is the link to the site: http://sites.google.com/site/108starsroleplaying/.

Click on "game mechanics" and you'll see. Here's the basics:

Each spell is divided up and assigned to one of 8 or 9 spell runes. If a character equips a spell rune they can use any of the spells on that rune provided they have enough MP. Every class has an "Effective Wizard Level" of .25, .5, .75, or 1. Add each class's EWLs up to get their total caster level and they have the MP and spell uses of a wizard of that level. For example: Fighter gets .25. So a 4th level has the casting power of a 1st level wizard (.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 = 1). A 5th level Wizard/7th level fighter has the casting power of a 6th level wizard (1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25) = (5 + 1.75) = (6.75) = (6). It seems to work pretty well.

In addition, there are passive and combat runes, but not all of those have been tested by my players, so some are more powerful than they should be and some a re weaker than they should be.

PS - If you look at the characters, I know a lot of them have been ripped off from other fantasy sources ... and people may recognize the art from here and there. I am no artist, so I gleaned the internet for portraits.
fantasykisala

Post by fantasykisala »

Alright, thank you very much and I will credit you if we use the system you made up.