Question about True Runes, can they be taken off safely?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
freshmetal

Re: Question about True Runes, can they be taken off safely?

Post by freshmetal »

sticky-runes wrote:So perhaps the bearer still has some strength left after giving up the rune and feels normal, but then gradually succumbs to their mortality?
Aren't we all "gradually succumbing to our mortality"? :wink:
PSN: FreshMetal80
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yes, but we haven't all experienced having magical symbols attached to our bodies that grant us supernatural powers and prevent us from aging!
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

Reviving it slightly to mention, I don't recall seeing True Runes being relocated or removed under less-than-extenuating circumstances anyway. May have happened in Suikoden III, but I don't recall since it's been awhile. (And in my current playthrough, I'm not to the point of the True Runes coming in yet.)

I mean, off the top of my head...

Ted: Was already injured pretty badly by that point, and captured by the Imperials to boot after he gave up the Soul Eater.

Ted's Grandpappy: Was being hunted down by Windy, Yuber, and Neclord. He was bound to be found out sooner or later. Let's not pretend they'd have let him live, because, again: Yuber and Neclord were hunting him down.

Arshtat: She was run through because she was about to use the Sun Rune to obliterate her entire Queendom (after first accidentally killing her husband). She never really got to be in a position where she could safely remove the Rune and leave it secured.

The Rune of Punishment has that whole nasty business of "unleashing the full potential kills the bearer". I get the impression it basically attracts extraneous circumstances to the bearer, given the track record of its previous owners (well, what True Rune doesn't, though?). I doubt most of them ever lived long enough to see the immortality come into play. Buuuut, if you count "cutting off one's hand" as "safe removal", I guess Graham Cray counts, but didn't it just wind up getting stuck to his son right afterward? Or was it son, then Graham? Either way, he certainly got rid of it, though it's hard to say if normal means would've been as effective. I doubt most bearers would've bothered finding out.

I guess we'll never truly know for sure, because circumstances generally wind up seeing the Runes removed in dire situations, and it could even vary from Rune to Rune anyway.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Shasarazawoowoo wrote: I doubt most of them ever lived long enough to see the immortality come into play. Buuuut, if you count "cutting off one's hand" as "safe removal", I guess Graham Cray counts...
:lol:
Hahahahahahahahaha!! Hilarious Shas! Indeed Graham Cray managed to removed said rune by cutting off his hand, but was he not 'corrupted' by the RoP and in the end, drawn back to it? So even after managing to rid himself of it, he still ended up falling victim to its destructive power when it finally destroyed the Fort at El-Eal?!
To me it seems that once your fate has crossed paths with a True Rune, there is no escaping it and you are destined to either, have everyone around you die, or end up being killed yourself!