Reasons for your main characters' names?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Aerolithe Lion

Re: Reasons for your main characters' names?

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Nikisaur wrote:I use the default names because I like the main characters to be actual characters, rather than just a medium to play through. In Suikoden's case, it needs all the help it can get in that way, due to the silent protagonist and such.
Yes, I prefer to be witnessing these events rather than 'participating.' I had a friend who in every RPG would name the protagonist his name. "Morgan has mastered the 'All' Materia!"
Just makes me cringe thinking about it.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Even though the commonly accepted names aren't official, they allow us to refer to the characters in a way that we all can recognize them. When someone says "Tir" you know exactly who they mean. This is why I feel the names are their identities whether they have Konami's blessing or not. Naming a character after myself would just be weird, regardless of gender, and would make things too awkward when talking about the character. Saying "Hero 1" or "Hero 2" makes them seem like robots, other people's name choices only mean something to them, and my name choices only mean something to me. I don't think it's wrong for people to choose other names, because to each their own. I just like the fact that we have a convenient way to discuss them with their common names, and to me personally that feels like their identities the way the other named characters have theirs.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Let's not forget that back during E3, Konami referred to Suikoden 1's hero as "Tir McDohl" in their character tournament bracket. It seems that as time goes on and the fan-base widely accepts names from novels and other sources, unofficial names could become official.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

EstrangedIX wrote:Even though the commonly accepted names aren't official, they allow us to refer to the characters in a way that we all can recognize them. When someone says "Tir" you know exactly who they mean. This is why I feel the names are their identities whether they have Konami's blessing or not. Naming a character after myself would just be weird, regardless of gender, and would make things too awkward when talking about the character. Saying "Hero 1" or "Hero 2" makes them seem like robots, other people's name choices only mean something to them, and my name choices only mean something to me. I don't think it's wrong for people to choose other names, because to each their own. I just like the fact that we have a convenient way to discuss them with their common names, and to me personally that feels like their identities the way the other named characters have theirs.

I know where you're coming from, Suikoden V made me crazy with all the "PRINCE!" calling out, I was expecting purple rain to start playing around every single corner...
Belle

Post by Belle »

I prefer Raspberry Beret... :D

Actually, I think "Prince" was acceptable compared to Lymsleia's constant cries of "Brother! BROTHER! BroTHeR! Brother? BrOTHTTERRUGGGGGHHH"

I mean, I understand they couldn't call him anything else, but it was cringeworthy at times.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Damn, now I'm feeling the need to name the army "The Revolution" on my next playthrough.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

EstrangedIX wrote:Damn, now I'm feeling the need to name the army "The Revolution" on my next playthrough.
:lol: That made me LOL
"Computer blue. Shoot the J, SHOOT IT!!!" If anyone get's the quote, high fives are deserved.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

patapi wrote:Let's not even start with how the Prince had a completely different "default" name long before "Frey" came along and usurped its position.
That was Farousche (or something to that effect) wasn't it?
Figo710

Post by Figo710 »

freshmetal wrote:
EstrangedIX wrote:Damn, now I'm feeling the need to name the army "The Revolution" on my next playthrough.
:lol: That made me LOL
"Computer blue. Shoot the J, SHOOT IT!!!" If anyone get's the quote, high fives are deserved.
LOL! "After it was done, we went back and he served us pancakes.... pancakes."
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I usually stick to A names. My first name begins with it so that might have something to do with it.
S1-Annike
S2-Andy
S3-Ari
S4-Angelo
S5-Aquisces
The only time I changed it up was when I called the hero in Tierkreis Caleb. I love that name.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Annike is close to Annika which is a Female Swedish name.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

When I was a kid (about ten or eleven), I used to get a kick out of naming my character in Suikoden I either "Blaster" or "Baiter". The character would always be referred to as "Master Blaster" or "Master Baiter". I used to think it was hilarious.

Now, at twenty-seven, I usually just name him a random name that starts with "M" so he doesn't show up in Suikoden II as "TcDohl".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Hirathien wrote: I know where you're coming from, Suikoden V made me crazy with all the "PRINCE!" calling out, I was expecting purple rain to start playing around every single corner...
I don't mind the odd use of "prince" but they seem to have used it more often than "your highness" or "his highness" (an occasional "sire" might have been nice as well) and sometimes it didn't sound right with the voice acting, for example when you meet Miakis, and she says "Prince, Lyon." It sounds like she's saying "Prince Lyon"

Somehow, they managed to cover it a bit better in the suikoden 4's cut scenes when your name comes up in the text and the actors say "You..." or "him..." but obviously I was aware they were talking about me anyway!
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

When I am not in the mood to give them their official Names, I decide to give them the name of my cousin who passed away many years ago (age 18). Nestor.
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

ttfii wrote:When I was a kid (about ten or eleven), I used to get a kick out of naming my character in Suikoden I either "Blaster" or "Baiter". The character would always be referred to as "Master Blaster" or "Master Baiter". I used to think it was hilarious.
I'm 28 and I still think that's hilarious.

I probably need help.