Unite Attack & Rune Magic Showcases [Updated 12/29/12]

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Telic

Unite Attack & Rune Magic Showcases [Updated 12/29/12]

Post by Telic »

Hey folks,

Long time lurker of Suikosource from ages ago. I made a few showcases/compilation videos of Unite Attacks from various Suikoden (and other) games.

Link to Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz

Suikoden II Unite Attack Showcase : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGprNdde ... S7&index=5
Suikoden II Rune Magic Showcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknQpws2 ... S7&index=6
Suikoden III Unite Showcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJv4J-vb ... S7&index=7
Suikoden IV Unite Attack Showcase [1080p]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjWtCsgj ... 7&index=10
Suikoden V Unite Attack Showcase [1080p] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imdIE48a ... S7&index=8
Chrono Cross Tech Showcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzX4pwm ... S7&index=1

The quality of the video gradually improved over the years (as I got a better computer and was able to emulate games better). At the time of making, I made the quality as best as I could. I can't stand the quality of my older videos, haha.

Thanks to PCSX2, I was able to record a gorgeous showcase of Suikoden V, linked above. It's missing one unite because I couldn't find a save point in the middle of the story with Sialeeds before she left the party. D:

Future videos would be (in no particular order):

1.) Re-do my Suikoden III Unite Showcase using PCSX2
2.) Suikoden III Rune Magic Showcase
3.) >Suikoden IV Unite Attack Showcase [DONE]
4.) Suikoden IV Rune Magic Showcase
5.) Suikoden V Rune Magic Showcase

Hope people here enjoy this! Been trying to do this series justice with these showcases.
Last edited by Telic on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Punkaiser

Re: Unite Attack & Rune Magic Showcases

Post by Punkaiser »

Not bad, I hope you can make that S4 video soon as I always want to which unite attacks are susceptible to flop.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Interesting, I actually already viewed those videos on youtube a couple of weeks back! Found them fascinating as I had not seen the majority of those unites; loved the one with the squirrels.
Eltaire

Post by Eltaire »

This is really cool! Like LadyCyclone, I had already viewed some of these already on YouTube.

I think the game with my favourite Unites is Suikoden IV. I think they have more character to them in that game. :D
Last edited by Eltaire on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

why have Suikoden 4 combos been left out?? Those were the best looking unite attacks in the whole series!
Telic

Post by Telic »

sticky-runes wrote:why have Suikoden 4 combos been left out?? Those were the best looking unite attacks in the whole series!
Haven't done it yet since I don't have a save file at with all the chars. I looked on GameFAQs for a save, but they're all at the end past the point of no return. So I can't use those saves to record the vids, because I can't swap characters nor leave the final area.

I'll hopefully get it done sooner than later.

If a kind soul here has a save file at the end with all 108 chars, then I would be very grateful if they can send it to me. Else, I'm slowly making my way through the game again in order to recruit all the chars to make a unite showcase for IV.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Telic wrote:I looked on GameFAQs for a save, but they're all at the end past the point of no return. So I can't use those saves to record the vids, because I can't swap characters nor leave the final area.
I don't think so, you should still be able to leave before the final battle if you ask ragki. The point of no return only begins after that battle.
Telic

Post by Telic »

Punkaiser wrote:
Telic wrote:I looked on GameFAQs for a save, but they're all at the end past the point of no return. So I can't use those saves to record the vids, because I can't swap characters nor leave the final area.
I don't think so, you should still be able to leave before the final battle if you ask ragki. The point of no return only begins after that battle.
All the saves that are available on GameFAQs are the final save point right outside of the door leading to the fight with that big tree boss.

Ragki was available outside of the dungeon, and I was able to return to the ship, but I wasn't able to exit out to the world map, nor change my party. D: I spoke with almost all the people on the ship. (Note, I haven't touched this game for years, so I might have missed something.)

I'll try to speed run through the game on Newgame+.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

That's cool, take your time. Hope you pick some decent enemies to use the combo attacks on (i.e. dragons, giant crabs, behemoths, so they're not all ganging up on furballs and seaweed!)
Telic

Re: Unite Attack & Rune Magic Showcases [Updated 12/29/12]

Post by Telic »

Updated first post with Suikoden IV Unite Attack Showcase that I just finished.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

I was expecting to see more flops but the only one appeared in your video is from True ninja attack, what about berserker attack and family attack ?
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Ohohohoho, good to see you on here, Telic. I actually have seen your videos various times and shared them with some of my friends, to get them to play Suikoden and stuff. We've actually had a brief 'chat' on one of your videos (believing it to be the Suikoden II showcase with Riou and Jowy images on the side).

I still think you should have the names of the spells in your unites and spells in your Suikoden II showcases. I was thinking of doing it myself, however, my PC is knackered at the moment. I know you´ve put annotations on your later videos, but I´d rather see a graphic on the video itself than an annotation. Aside from that however, impressive work. Good to see you post on here.
Telic

Post by Telic »

Punkaiser wrote:I was expecting to see more flops but the only one appeared in your video is from True ninja attack, what about berserker attack and family attack ?
To be honest, I completely forgot that unite attacks can flop until it happened when I was recording the True Ninja Attack. Do you know how often they can flop, and which unites can fail? The Suikosource guide mentioned that "unite attacks also have a random chance to flop". Does that mean that ALL the unites can potentially flop? If so, I'll probably make another vid with all the flops.
Piisuke wrote:Ohohohoho, good to see you on here, Telic. I actually have seen your videos various times and shared them with some of my friends, to get them to play Suikoden and stuff. We've actually had a brief 'chat' on one of your videos (believing it to be the Suikoden II showcase with Riou and Jowy images on the side).

I still think you should have the names of the spells in your unites and spells in your Suikoden II showcases. I was thinking of doing it myself, however, my PC is knackered at the moment. I know you´ve put annotations on your later videos, but I´d rather see a graphic on the video itself than an annotation. Aside from that however, impressive work. Good to see you post on here.
Yep, I recall your name Piisuke! And yep, I believe it was about the banners in my Suikoden II showcase. I'll spend a little time going back and adding annotations. It's more of a chore since I have to manually go through the video in order to annotate everything. My most recent vids, I use my video editor to help get the time stamps more easily. I'll keep the graphics in mind for future vids. Annotations looked fairly easy on the eyes, and weren't too distracting.

What do you have in mind in terms of graphics? Simple text that shows the characters and unites, like how I did annotations? Or something a bit more graphically appealing? I'm a total newbie when it comes to video fx, haha.

Good to see ya again, Piisuke!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Looks good. I haven't even used the Nay kobold combo before, didn't realise it was actually a healing move! Would be nice if you could showcase the victory animations as well!
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Telic wrote:Yep, I recall your name Piisuke! And yep, I believe it was about the banners in my Suikoden II showcase. I'll spend a little time going back and adding annotations. It's more of a chore since I have to manually go through the video in order to annotate everything. My most recent vids, I use my video editor to help get the time stamps more easily. I'll keep the graphics in mind for future vids. Annotations looked fairly easy on the eyes, and weren't too distracting.

What do you have in mind in terms of graphics? Simple text that shows the characters and unites, like how I did annotations? Or something a bit more graphically appealing? I'm a total newbie when it comes to video fx, haha.

Good to see ya again, Piisuke!
Wasn't thinking of anything major. Maybe a splash of paint and then the name of the spell/unite in that splash of paint. The annotation look alright, but the problem is that the background (i.e. the Suikoden graphics) constantly change, therefore, white text can sometimes be hard to read. If, for example, you had a small spludge of paint in the lower left corner (maybe black) and in there white text saying: Master Pupil Attack, it would be a lot easier to read, but it wouldn't be distracting, as it's in the corner of the screen. You could even add the dmg details, i.e. 1x dmg to all enemies.

However, this is always how I would have envisioned it if I were to make a video myself in regards to unite and magic spells.

If you need an example, something like this: http://static4.depositphotos.com/100026 ... plodge.jpg

Anyway, it's just something I always thought of. I've been planning on doing an LP on Suikoden and thought of ways to make it more appealing, like graphics and tidbits of other on-screen notifications.

I'm not sure what video editing software you use, but I know that you can import images with software like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro and add them on videos. Anyway, it's just an idea I had and something I've always envisioned myself doing.