Saddest Suikoden Scene

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Saddest Suikoden Scene

Post by Sasarai10 »

freshmetal wrote:Nothing comes close to the moments from Suikoden 1. Gremio's death and Teo's death were both emotional moments, but for me, It's the double whammy of Barbarossa's final speech/suicide and Mathiu's death that always get me. It's such a bitter sweet ending.

Hey,are you sure Barbarossa has died?? I think it's not officialy clarified...he is considered missing
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I always assumed that the destruction of the Imperial palace was due to the magical effects of two powerful true rune bearers going splat on the floor? anyway, Barbarossa hasn't been seen or heard of since that time, so I don't suppose it really matters. Doesn't change the fact that it's a sad and emotional scene.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Konami's official word is that he's missing, as is Windy. It was that they were dead but they retconned this when they started to continue the series.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Yeah, it's never officially stated that they survived or died, but considering neither haven't been seen or heard from since their leap from the top of the palace, it's a safe assumption that neither survived....But you know what happens when you assume things.

Konami may have recanted their deaths in the hopes of possibly using them in a future game, but given the state of the Suikoden series right now, it may be best to make their deaths official.

Like sticky-runes said though, dead or not, the scene was still emotional.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I always thought that the deaths in Suikoden I were poorly executed.

Gremio was obvious from the start, I mean come on. If you were truly surprised by that, I'm shocked. I disliked Gremio the whole game. It was sad, sure, but I wasn't surprised.

Odessa and the music stopping just when she dies. I mean, it's on cue. It doesn't fade, it just stops.

Teo, I just never got into his death.

Futch and black though. That was played out perfectly. It has to take the crown in this game.

In Suikoden II it's easily Nanami's scene. Sure, she survives, but it reunited Riou and Jowy, that's how powerful that was.

In IV.... Errr, dunno.

I'm V, well I think this game takes the drama crown. Lyon at the end, Roy, Sialeeds and the whole assassination scene with Georg, there's so much drama. I think overall this game takes the crown with Lyon's scene the best of the whole bunch.

Futch and Black, however, that's the one I'm genuinely sad about, simply because it came out of nowhere. Gremio was sad, but after Viktor's hunch' comment, I knew it straight away.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

you weren't saddened by some kid beating his dad to death with a stick??
Belle

Post by Belle »

Piisuke wrote:I always thought that the deaths in Suikoden I were poorly executed.

Gremio was obvious from the start, I mean come on. If you were truly surprised by that, I'm shocked. I disliked Gremio the whole game. It was sad, sure, but I wasn't surprised.
Oh, come now. Gremio's death was NOT 'obvious from the start.' :P Well, maybe some time during the oil-powered boat engine quest you started wondering if something might happen. But death by spores was so out of left field, even with Milich going on about his Antoinette.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

sticky-runes wrote:
I think it was more the fact that he had to kill his own father! Teo's death got to me a lot also - especially considering the last time they saw each other was in Gregminister at the start of the game. Every death scene is weep-worthy.
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Suikoden 1: Teo's and Black's death
Suikoden 2: Nanami's "death" and the scene with Clive and Elza
Suikoden 3: Hum.. that would be Jimba aka Chris' Father
Suikoden 4: err...
Suikoden 5: that would be Roy when you choose to defend the castle. Then the assassination of Queen Arshtat and Ferid's death. Yepp... and it would be fair to say that Gizel's death was also well made. Although he is the antagonist in the game, it must be said that he is very well written.
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

sticky-runes wrote:
The way you phrased it was more brutal than sad, lol.

But no, I felt it could've been done better. It didn't feel like it was a big deal. Little dialogue and not enough emphasis on the fact that it's your dad.
Only a handful of lines and I didn't think his speech afterwards was good, or to me, good enough.

As I said, I found Black a whole lot better. You could see how it affected Futch. Tir, the silent protagonist, showed nothing, because he's silent and therefore it didn't work for me. Besides, how many predicted Black's death?

I'm sure if Tir wasn't a silent protagonist, and showed emotion, ala running away, or by being silent all of a sudden, it would've had more of an impact. For me, however, the game just carried on. Everyone just carried on as well, very little was made of it. Teo's defeated, Sonya's next!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Two things ruined Teo's death for me.

1. Cleo saying "Master Teo!" every 2 seconds. I love you Cleo, but keep your mouth shut woman.

2. The "Ping!" when you receive your level 3 rune spell. Really adds to the drama, y'know? Your father dying in your arms, surrounded by his only surviving relative and loyal servants, but yippee!! We get a spell that's gonna let us banish monsters to Hades!!! I'm quite sure they didn't do that with Gremio's death, so why did they need to do it now?
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

No one likes Teo
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

sticky-runes wrote:Two things ruined Teo's death for me.
2. The "Ping!" when you receive your level 3 rune spell. Really adds to the drama, y'know? Your father dying in your arms, surrounded by his only surviving relative and loyal servants, but yippee!! We get a spell that's gonna let us banish monsters to Hades!!! I'm quite sure they didn't do that with Gremio's death, so why did they need to do it now?
Did that happen with Ted's death? Speaking of which, thought this was dealt with better as well than Teo's.

Oh and to add to my comments on Teo's death. We only really see Teo for the first 20 minutes of the game and then he's off. So I didn't really feel like I was connected to Teo.
Maybe if the game had some missions with Teo together, or more than just the council with Barbarossa and the dinner, it would've gotten more of a reaction out of me.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Piisuke wrote:
Did that happen with Ted's death? Speaking of which, thought this was dealt with better as well than Teo's.

Oh and to add to my comments on Teo's death. We only really see Teo for the first 20 minutes of the game and then he's off. So I didn't really feel like I was connected to Teo.
Maybe if the game had some missions with Teo together, or more than just the council with Barbarossa and the dinner, it would've gotten more of a reaction out of me.
Yeah, i think it did happen with Ted's death as well (I might have mentioned it in another topic or this one? I lose track of these things.)

And yes, we didn't get to feel connected with Teo, he felt like a plot device. Gremio was with us all the way, and with Ted, we did get to do some missions together, and we also experienced his past during the Star Dragon Sword incident, so his end had more meaning (plus we got to meet him again in S4 so that helped me reconnect with him!)

Teo could have done with some "meanwhile, behind enemy lines..." scenes, like if we had seen the moment where he returns from the north and finds out that his son is a traitor, or in his camp with Alen and Grenseal, but S1 didn't seem to have any Empire scenes, it was all from the rebels' perspective.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Lulu :(

Maybe because just now was the first time I saw it...But man.

Everyone else was older or dies for a reason.

Teo was a general, he was prepared.
Ted was like 300 years old.
Gremio died protecting someone
Same with Odessa and black.
Nanami was just annoying but still died trying to protect someone

All of their deaths had meaning. But Lulu, he did not protect anyone, he was not prepared, he was just a dumb kid going against a trained warrior.

Sorry, I actually just saw the scene so others may be worse later on but for me it was Lulu. Simply pointless.