Thoughts on Combo attacks

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Thoughts on Combo attacks

Post by sticky-runes »

One of the things I get a little excited about when I start playing a new suikoden game for the first time (a sensation I haven't experienced in a long time! :wink: ) is when I start trying out different combinations of characters to see what unite attacks they have with eachother.

Normally, the hero can be combined with his closest friend (Riou and Jowy or Nanami, Lazlo & Snowe, Prince & Lyon)
There are usually obvious combinations, such as people who are related to eachother (Lepant Family, Lino & Flare) or members of the same order (Knights, bandits, pirates) or members of a unique species (elves, kobolds)
Then there are people who have similar weapons and fighting styles, like a team of archers (Kinnison/Ayda/Stallion) or spear users (Lino, Eugene & Rachel) or magicians (Zerase & Levi), and sometimes chaarcters who are of the same age group, like a group of old men (Kai, Fukien & Liukan) or young girls (Millie, Meg & Tengaar).
Then, you sometimes get combinations of characters who don't really have anything to do with eachother (Humphrey and Krin??)

So I'm wondering... What are some obvious combinations you've found when playing suikoden games, and what are some unexpected combos you've come across? And also, what are some combo attacks you think certain characters SHOULD have had with eachother, but we never got to see them? (I thought it strange that the hero in Suikoden 1 only had one unite attack - he should have had a combo with Gremio and possibly Cleo, since he spends a lot of time with them)
Punkaiser

Re: Thoughts on Combo attacks

Post by Punkaiser »

I like unite attacks too, but just for the damage modifier they provide, not the way konami presents them in deadlocked set like this. e.g: for exemple the beauty attacks in S2, there're plenty of gorgeous ladies but why must there be karen, lorelai, rina, kasumi? why can't valeria, lowen, sierra.etc.take part in while they are all pretty as well.

To be more precise, I prefer unite system to be more open to customized, the unites should be formed as long as the conditions are satisfied in the way "If"(requirements) and "so"(result as the unite attack is launch)
e.g:
If:
Condition 1 : 4 characters
Condition 2 : all of them are hammer users
So:
Blacksmith unite attack is formed for any 4 characters who are in active party and satisfy the requirements

It would be more logical to discover other similar combos that way, I think, and there would be less good for nothing characters in this series for sure.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I do agree with you about the customization. While it's a nice idea to have family members and stuff using combo attacks, it does kind of restrict my gemplay style in some ways, because there are certain characters I don't want to use seperately, for example, I don't like using Hix without Tengaar. They have a nice thing going on storyline wise, and they work well together in combat, but Hix could also have a combo attack with Flik or Sheena. It would just add a bit more versatility. Then there's Humphrey who could quite easily have a combo attack with Viktor - two broadword users, hello? - and also Rikimaru, maybe even with Hanna because she's the quiet type as well. There are all kinds of potential partnerships that the games have missed out on.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I like them for their animations. At least, that's the first thing I look for. What kind of crazy shenanigans will I see on my screen this time, i.e. discoball bald guys, 100 kobolds recreating the stampede from the Lion King. It's nice to see big numbers of my screen, but if I really want big numbers, might as well get Final Fantasy VIII and do a few Lionhearts.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yeah, the animations are a good part of the unite attacks as well. I like the goofs they added in suikoden 4, like when Flare shoots her dad in the butt, or when the three ninjas summon a statue to crush the enemies, and you see it hurtling towards the camera, and it turns out to be a tiny little figurine.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I like using Unites and think they should expand on that way much.

I liked how they tried to alter it in Suikoden IV with different "levels" of unites, but it was impossible to find them all without a guide. They should add more customization like Punkaiser has said.

I really like them for their animations, but I think they got worse in the last few titles. Especially Tierkreis was disappointing at times. Ah, but Tierkreis did something good - unites with support characters. that was a good move.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden 4 were a bit funny with their unite attacks. On the one hand, it was a good idea - having people gradually pick up combos as they fight alongside eachother. For example, the hero and Kika meet for the first time during the game's storyline, so it makes sense they come up with a unite attack later on during their travels with eachother. But then, we have characters who do already know eachother like Akaghi and Mizuki, and Sigurd and Hervey, and you have to 'unlock' their combo attacks. That was kinda dumb, they should have been readilly available so it takes less time to level up.

and it seemed kinda silly they used that victory animation for Ted and Lo Hak (where he goes to shake hands and Ted gives him the cold shoulder). It makes sense with Aldo, because he's actually interested in Ted and is trying to build bridges with him, but I hardly think Lo Hak would be that bothered!
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

sticky-runes wrote:For example, the hero and Kika meet for the first time during the game's storyline, so it makes sense they come up with a unite attack later on during their travels with eachother. But then, we have characters who do already know eachother like Akaghi and Mizuki, and Sigurd and Hervey, and you have to 'unlock' their combo attacks. That was kinda dumb, they should have been readilly available so it takes less time to level up.
I can't remember exactly the number but for those who know each others well, they require less battles to learn and level up their combo.

The idea about forming unite attacks based on relationship characters have with each other is good, i'm just againts the current locked unite sets, as I replay Tierkreis recently, wanting to use Bosche and Lathilda then I wonder why they can't perform husband & wife unite attack even though they express much more affection toward each other if compared to vaslof/resno pair(these two have that unite available)