Playing Suikoden II

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: Playing Suikoden II

Post by sticky-runes »

My biggest knock on SII would easily be the war battles. They were very boring and really didn't feel like they involved my SoDs at all. Just taking 3 turns until both armies are within striking distances and then watched it play out somewhat randomly. I feel this was the worst iteration in the entire series.

Agreed. I couldn't stand S2's war battles. There were loads of SoDs that couldn't take part. I can have Annallee singing to people, but can't have Rikimaru as an infantryman? I can have Emilia scanning the battlefield, but I can't have Kinnison as an archery unit? And we end up retreating most of the time anyway, so half the major battles could have just been cut scenes. When it comes to liberating greenhill, I end up staying behind and listening to the reports with Apple (some of the dialogue that ensues there is actually quite amusing!)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I hate battles you can't win in general, unless they're scripted events. It's not so bad if you can't really do damage at all, making it obvious that this is one of those battles, or if it's set up so you can't waste resources that aren't easily replaced. But if the game lets you think that maybe, just maybe, you can pull this off under the right conditions, when it's actually impossible, it's complete bollocks.
Twilight Sky

Post by Twilight Sky »

I've actually pulled off saving Ridley in the ambush by the castle, just once and only once. And I think it was pure luck that his lone unit survived long enough for my main units to close in and box him in.

The war battles were fun, just took a while before you have full control.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Saving Ridley near Radat? I did that! (but I had to try like 734938 times)

I did like in 5 how you got rewards from the war battles. Gives you a reason to fight all of the units rather than just drawing some away and going for the leader. I think it'd be cool if Suikoden 2 had something like that.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.