Suikoden Revival Movement

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden Revival Movement

Post by Vextor »

That was an excellent podcast. Even suikosource.com was mentioned. I also liked how you presented yourself as such a well-informed gamer with knowledge on hardware and the industry. Very nice voice as well!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Also, we are currentloy looking for a fluently Japanese speaking (and writing) 5th admin.

We start to look here, as we 4 came together in this board and know there are a lot of Japanese speaking guys lurking around.

Your tasks will be to establish communication with Japanese fans and, most importantly, Konami Japan. You'll be a full-member of the SRM admin staff with a full voice in decisions (all admins are equal in decisions and discussions, even when you're new. So if you have fresh, new ideas, that'd be a plus!) It's a bit time-consuming, but not really that much. Facebook would be a requirement, too, as we use it as the base of our campaigning and intern discussions.

So if anyone is interested, drop me a PN. :)
Last edited by Antimatzist on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Are you looking for writers in general? (Only English-speaking ones.)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

LadyCyclone wrote:Are you looking for writers in general? (Only English-speaking ones.)
Not at the moment, sorry. We seriously lack a Japanese speaking team member which is important, because, well, Suikoden is Japanese (duh! :D), so that's top priority. I'm sure that at some point in the future, we'll need a bigger team with writers etc, but not no.

EDIT: Lol, ok, forgot a "Japanese" in my last post, so that might have been confusing.^^
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

No, it's alright, I understood what you meant. Just wondered if you needed any general writers - well, if it changes, let me know! I'm famed for writing PASSIONATE speeches, rouse up the rabble sort of thing, lol.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Right now, the Japanese presence on the SRM Facebook Page is tiny, with only 68 members reporting their current country as Japan. We can't do this without them and having a Japanese-fluent admin would allow us to begin turning that tide.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Xelinis wrote:Right now, the Japanese presence on the SRM Facebook Page is tiny, with only 68 members reporting their current country as Japan. We can't do this without them and having a Japanese-fluent admin would allow us to begin turning that tide.
Have you considered advertising on Gumtree under the volunteer section?
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Possibly, but we'd like to ask around here first. This tightly-knit forum is where SRM originally got started after all.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yup, we really need a fluent Japanese speaking member as our 5th admin. Preferably someone who is native Japanese who can give us up to date insights into the state of things over there.

We do need just Japanese/English speakers (writers) in general though so we can really start to try and crack Japan. We have built up a good, solid, foundation here in the West (and even gained sufficient media attention). However, as Xelinis said, to truly turn the tide we need to turn our attentions to Japan.

If you are willing to volunteer time and energy to do some Japanese/English translation work for us, or know anyone that can then, please, do not hesitate to contact us.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Vextor wrote:That was an excellent podcast. Even suikosource.com was mentioned. I also liked how you presented yourself as such a well-informed gamer with knowledge on hardware and the industry. Very nice voice as well!
Aww Shucks. Well, Suikoden Fans are the most intelligent, talented and handsome fanbase, so I am no exception. I will be back on that podcast as a guest some time in February, I will let everyone know when that happens.

As far as the writing is concerned: Xelinis and I handle most of that, but I threw out my back this week and have not been able to work on anything, so it might not be a bad idea. But, we do need likely multiple Japanese translators, as my more recent letter to Konami is looking to be about 25 pages or more, and that is a lot of work to translate. It would be better to split the work up between multiple translators.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

As much as I'd like to help, given my fluency in Japanese and involvement with Suikoden, I just have a complete lack of time. However, having a letter being translated by multiple translators can make things a bit choppy-- the mood of the letter can end up changing at each section, and same words can get translated differently-- resulting in text that is confusing.

I suppose the ideal situation is for someone to check the translation after it is done.

Also, depending on how a person writes, it becomes fricking easy to translate. Typically this is when each sentence has a clear purpose in constructing the logic of the paragraph. When I have to struggle to undertsand what the heck the person is trying to say, translation becomes an arduous task.

If you can show me the text, I can estimate how long it would take to translate. If it seems simple enough I will do it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Vextor wrote:As much as I'd like to help, given my fluency in Japanese and involvement with Suikoden, I just have a complete lack of time. However, having a letter being translated by multiple translators can make things a bit choppy-- the mood of the letter can end up changing at each section, and same words can get translated differently-- resulting in text that is confusing.

I suppose the ideal situation is for someone to check the translation after it is done.

Also, depending on how a person writes, it becomes fricking easy to translate. Typically this is when each sentence has a clear purpose in constructing the logic of the paragraph. When I have to struggle to undertsand what the heck the person is trying to say, translation becomes an arduous task.

If you can show me the text, I can estimate how long it would take to translate. If it seems simple enough I will do it.
Next task of the SRM: making "I ♥ Vex" shirts! Thanks for your help. :) Why is Japanese such a complicated language? :D
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Thanks Vex, I will likely re-write the English version after I am done writing to make it simpler to translate, as I write at the academic level. I took a sample of the text of the letter and ran it through several ease-of-reading indicators that you can find here: http://www.readabilityformulas.com/gunn ... ormula.php

Results:
Flesch: 40.2 (difficult to read)
Gunning-FOG: 17.2 (Two points shy of Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire drat, foiled again)
Flecsh-Kincade: 14.1 (College level reading needed to understand it.)
Coleman-Liau: 12 (12th grade needed to understand it)
SMOG index: 12.6 (College)
Automated Readability Index: 15.2 (College Graduate)
Linsear Write formula: 17.8 (Graduate and Academic Writing)

So, I will need to re-write in order for amateur translators to understand. hahahaha
TMan

Post by TMan »

If there's any way we could find out what the estimated cost of porting a game would be- especially a PS1 to 360 game- we would be a lot closer to figuring out if begging for game releases on Arcade is a reasonable tactic.

I mean, from the numbers I have been trying to run, it doesn't look very promising for Suikoden 2... If anyone is interested in going into more detail with me on this, I'd really like someone to find flaws with my methods.
Dreams do die
Warcrown

Post by Warcrown »

TMan wrote:If there's any way we could find out what the estimated cost of porting a game would be- especially a PS1 to 360 game- we would be a lot closer to figuring out if begging for game releases on Arcade is a reasonable tactic.
I like the idea of Suikoden on 360... :D