Suikoden Revival Movement

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Xelinis

Re: Suikoden Revival Movement

Post by Xelinis »

freshmetal wrote:Really? I thought the PS2 had a ton of outstanding RPG's. Much better than the current gen, which consists of nothing but FPS. I don't think I've played a decent JRPG this generation. That's why I've been replaying all of my PS2 games lately.
Xenoblade and Radiant Historia are some of the best games I've ever played, though I'm not sure what constitutes your definition of "current generation."

And if this console generation did anything right, it's sandbox games. Infamous and Assassin's Creed are great.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

@Sasarai10: Well then you played the whole prologue! I think FF X is quite good, but the story is just stupid.

There are tons of SUikoden IV threads in the boards, so I don't want to get too OT, but I think IV doesn't do too much things right. If some islands were bigger or there were more islands, it would ne ok, but the lack of big dungeons really wasn't a good designing choice. Of course, it has some cool aspects too (I think they could expand on the Unite-system. Maybe that you start with a Level 1 unite as soon as you have the characters and need to Level that up. Or create your own unites in a lab or something.)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Sasarai10 wrote:Btw,why do you have Chieppo in your avatar,since you disliked S4? :|
I disliked Devil May Cry 2 but I still have the avatar from the game. Doesn't mean anything to have the avatar, maybe he just likes to be a smug cat?
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Xelinis wrote:
freshmetal wrote:Really? I thought the PS2 had a ton of outstanding RPG's. Much better than the current gen, which consists of nothing but FPS. I don't think I've played a decent JRPG this generation. That's why I've been replaying all of my PS2 games lately.
Xenoblade and Radiant Historia are some of the best games I've ever played, though I'm not sure what constitutes your definition of "current generation."

And if this console generation did anything right, it's sandbox games. Infamous and Assassin's Creed are great.
Yeah, but Assassin's Creed and Infamous aren't RPGs. Certainly not JRPGs. This thread has officially been derailed. :lol:
PSN: FreshMetal80
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Indeed it has, back on topic.

And for the record, Final Fantasy X and Suikdoen IV are both fine games, each with their own flaws in certain areas. Show me a perfect game though and I'll call you a sorceror. Or tell you that I'm fully aware of Suikoden II already.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Rooks wrote:I am saying Suikoden IV is a fantastic game compared to the others, as the PS2-era of RPGs was horribly disappointing. Sorry for the confusion.
I respectfully disagree here. I think IV is one of the worst RPGs on the PS2 when I look at some of the games that were released. In general I think the PS2 had some brilliant RPGs as well.
Sasarai10 wrote: Oh come on man,SIV worse than FF X?? I think that FF X is a little bit overated??? It's one of the few FF games,that i have played,and it was sooooo boring,especially the battle system. I stopped it till to the point after the main hero (Tidus if i'm not wrong) fought those strange creatures along with a guy with sunglasses (i don't recall his name),and fell down to some ruins or something. And as i searched through the internet FF X had ONLY 7 playable characters.

Btw,why do you have Chieppo in your avatar,since you disliked S4? :|
I dislike IV, but that doesn't mean I dislike everything about it. I just really like Chiepoo, especially his voice. It's funny.

Anyway, X is miles ahead of SIV. I don't even understand how you can put the same in a sentence. Of all the FF games I've played, which is I to XIII, X is definitely up there with my favourites, next to IV, VI and IX. I do not at all think X is overrated. The only thing that I didn't like about X was the voice acting and the little scene after the credits and the fact that there's X-2, lol. Gameplay was good, the spheregrid was good, the characters were interesting and I thought the plot was good as well. As for your playable characters comment, I think it's irrelevant. FF VII had eight charcaters that were playable and one died on disc 1.

As for Suikoden IV, I thought the story was boring, the villain was non-existent, the world map was way too big for the few locations we could go into, the places we could go into was locked down, as in there was little to explore with most houses being closed, or just the areas being very small, I found the charcaters uninteresting, bar a few (Chiepoo <3) and just overall I did not enjoy this game. I didn't like it, because it wasn't as good as previous Suikoden games, I didn't like it, because I don't think it's a good game at all.

When I look at the PS2, I can see plenty of great RPGs that are so much better than Suikoden IV, games like: Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Star Ocean till the End of Time, Final Fantasy X, .hack/G.U., Ar Tonelico 1 and 2, Disgaea, Rogue Galaxy, Odin Sphere, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 and 4, the Xenosaga trilogy and, let's not forget Suikoden III and Suikoden V themselves. Yes, all of the aforementioned are games I consider better than Suikoden IV, a few of them are even miles ahead of Suikoden IV, including V.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Yeah Chiepoo's voice was quite funny.... :lol:

But to tell you the truth i've never played any other FF games except X,and FF origins. The second one was quite good,but X as i said before was.....pah :x
Anyway,i always thought that FF series,were generally overrated. As i searched through the internet for several FF series,i found out,that every game has only 7-8,max 10 playable characters...for God's sake. :o

At least SIV,had about 60 playable characters...and a plenty of wonderful mini-games. OK,i admit that SIV's plot was the weakest point of the game...but still....

Don't misunderstand me,but that's my point of view...after all the only other RPG that i've played a lot besides Suikoden is Pokemon series (Red,Blue,Yellow,etc),where you had many playable characters too....so don't smack me in the face. :mrgreen: :P
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

As i searched through the internet for several FF series,i found out,that every game has only 7-8,max 10 playable characters...for God's sake.
You know, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has only 3 playable characters and that might be one of the most enjoyable PS2-RPGs I've played.

But please, this has gone really OT, could you discuss that matter in another thread? :)
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Sasarai10 wrote:As i searched through the internet for several FF series,i found out,that every game has only 7-8,max 10 playable characters...for God's sake.
VI had 14.
freshmetal wrote:This thread has officially been derailed.
I wrote:Indeed it has, back on topic.
Antimatzist wrote:But please, this has gone really OT, could you discuss that matter in another thread?
Please guys, I really don't want to lock this thread.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

To help get things back on topic, along with the Suikoden Revival Movement, their is also "Mission Atelier".

http://www.facebook.com/MissionAtelier

"The goal of Mission Atelier is simple to get the great though less mainstream games that come out in Japan to come out here in the US, and around the world as well."

Not too sure if this has been promoted here properly or not, so I'll just post it here. Like it on FB if you haven't already so we can help get Suikoden in the hands of more gamers. (even if it's just a PSP spin-off *grumble*)
PSN: FreshMetal80
juhu

Post by juhu »

Let's start suikoden (6) project on Kickstarter,maybe Konami will wake up. :idea:
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

juhu wrote:Let's start suikoden (6) project on Kickstarter,maybe Konami will wake up. :idea:
Uhh, that's not quite how it works. Only Konami would be able to start a Kickstarter for Suikoden. That, and Kickstarter is targeted towards independent companies, not corporations.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

On that subject:

I will take the liberty to call for any Indonesian translators that may be willing to help us. There seems to be a movement in the Indonesian fan community that believes that Konami has disbanded the Suikoden Team, and declared the series itself dead. Thus, they are taking the rather extreme liberty of starting their own "Suikoden" game.

The Indonesian fanbase is quite large, as Suikoden is huge over there, second only to Final Fantasy and perhaps Dragon Quest.

We are looking for Indonesian-speakers to help us get the truth out, and instead help convince the fanbase there that making your own Suikoden game is probably not the best course of action at this point.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I have 19 translators at present but we are always welcome to more help from the Indonesian Suikoden community :)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I just checked and found some Konami games on the Steam platform. Does anyone know when this happened? because I could have sworn that there were no Konami games there when we started the SRM.

In any event, this is likely to change our strategy a bit, as Steam could be a great platform for re-releases of the Suikoden titles. Seeing as how Suikoden I and II were released on Android, I doubt that Sony is holding an exclusive on the games.

Can anyone give any details as to how the Mobile Ports of the games in Japan differ from the PSone releases?