How We Determine a SoD in Reality?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
veeshadow

How We Determine a SoD in Reality?

Post by veeshadow »

Not sure If I don't pay attention about Leknaat or searching any info for Tablet of Stars. I just wonder how we know a person is potential SoD in reality? In-game assuming you don't use guide to play, you can tell someone possible SoD if a person has portrait, request something to you, or you meet new person that you never seen before when you revisit an area. How we know that in reality? I can just ask random people "dude can you join our army?" then check Luc and "derp he/she's not SoD" it's just trial and error that way and there are hundred people you can ask lol...

Then the nature for Tablet of Stars is not known or just whatever Konami want XD. I can add some funny own lines if people ever discussing this thing in-game. S2: Gengen just meet Riou for short time then he just stick with the group until got castle then "hell yeah I'm SoD !!". Assume Jowy doesn't betray you then "I'm not SoD? WTF you". Or S3 end game, Luc name appears on Tablet, Hugo : "are you kidding me !!! "

Although this also a great concept actually. In S2, you can screw SoD by taking Rulodia. I just wish there are few traps involving recruiting SoD in the series hahaha (add more wishlist for Suikoden 6 >__< )
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
killerslime

Re: How We Determine a SoD in Reality?

Post by killerslime »

Tomo being able to be under two different stars, Tensyo and Chikyu really throws the whole being born under a star thing out the window. It must be like in Tierkreis how one isn’t a Starbearer by birth but the actions they undertaken can make one a Starbearer. Like Mubal.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

killerslime wrote:Tomo being able to be under two different stars, Tensyo and Chikyu really throws the whole being born under a star thing out the window. It must be like in Tierkreis how one isn’t a Starbearer by birth but the actions they undertaken can make one a Starbearer. Like Mubal.
I don't know if Konami ever said something on this, but this "born under a star" thing is also rather vague imo. Iirc, in the original Water Margin it is more like souls of ancient demons go into the 108 warriors and.. yeah. But I don't really like Tierkreis go on this as it just seems random at times.

I'd say that in "real life", it's just fate that draws SoDs together. Like the destinies of 108 people cross in a single momentum in the space-time-continuum to gather at one place and fight for one cause. Even though I think the "fight for one cause" is at times wacky, too, in the games. How do people like Qlon or Taki ever help you in your quest? I don't really know.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

In the case of Tomo, she is born under one specific star. It just happens to be whichever one you don't fill. In the world of the game she doesn't sit there going "well I could be Tensyo or Chiku, we'll see what Riou chooses".

Basically the player invents the facts.

Not sure what you mean by "in reality" >.<
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Well dude, the world fills by many people. In the game, you can screw 108 soD or not complete SoD in the end. How you tell someone you recruit is SoD? in game, you can tell since he/she has portrait, he/she has unique role, etc....

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah i'm still kinda confused as to what you mean also...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess he means: How could the heroes in the games tell that some people are SoDs and some are not? I mean why is Freed's wife a SoD, but some other important characters are not? How can Mukumuku be a SoD, but Futch's dragon isn't until Suikoden III?

I mean it must be confusing for the hero. I mean he's trying to find all 108 SoDs and it must be a pain to search a complete country for 107 men when you have no clue who they are.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Antimatzist wrote: I mean it must be confusing for the hero. I mean he's trying to find all 108 SoDs and it must be a pain to search a complete country for 107 men when you have no clue who they are.
This one that more explains. To make it simple, if you're the hero how you select a person SoD to recruit? Take Bob in S2 for example you talk to him you prompted choice "would you join us?" in-game, you talk to kobold near him, just normal dialogue. Now face it real life you meet two person. How you know which one SoD? I can just invite them both and chance they agree with you..

Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I think you've answered your own question really :p

Unfortunately, sometimes the answers to something like this is "it's a game".
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Oh i see i thought he meant in actually reality as in real life. And yeah how comes Mukumuku is the only squirrel to be counted as a SOD? Same with Koroku? Why isn't the rope climbing game dude (Or Ace if you like) a SOD i interacted more with him then half of the 108?

I guess the Tablet of Promise is the only sure fire way to know. It would be easier if it was handheld like a pokedex. It kind of supports the idea that destiny isn't predetermined i guess. Like how stars share multiple characters like Eresh and Euram, Ridley and Boris and the beasts from Suikoden 2.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

+1 a Pokedex-Tablet of Promise, lol.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

killerslime wrote:Tomo being able to be under two different stars, Tensyo and Chikyu really throws the whole being born under a star thing out the window. It must be like in Tierkreis how one isn’t a Starbearer by birth but the actions they undertaken can make one a Starbearer. Like Mubal.
This is a gameplay issue. It's to do with the stars of Kasumi and Valeria and whomever you recruit of those two.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah i know but it still annoys me a bit that she is the only character out of the entire series that can be under two different stars. They should have had Tomo if you choose Kasumi and Tomo's identical twin sister Momo if you pick Valeria. They wouldn't even have to change the portrait or character sprite either. Ok thats a crap idea, it should just be a completely different character if you choose Valeria, i mean its not as if Tomo is a significant character in any way, i never even see her after you recruit her.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I'm pretty sure Konami learned from this, just look at Eresh and Euram in SV. SII had the same problem with the animals sharing stars.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah that annoys me as well, why would anyone forfeit the best ending for L'Roladia? She should be able to take Feathers star while Chuchura should of being changeable with Ayda's. Then it might be worth it a bit more. I would still pick Ayda any day though.