How We Determine a SoD in Reality?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Punkaiser

Re: How We Determine a SoD in Reality?

Post by Punkaiser »

According to Fukien's intro, he was saying that purpose of 107 SOD is to serve the great cause which is to be led by center tenkai. So it's not actually the stuff like "hey, will you join me?" should be happenning, it's more like Konami run out of idea how to pull SODs to our tenkais, see how many fillers we have there just for the sake of the number 108.

The way it should be in my imagination, that is as the war sparks, the tenkai leads a group to fight and on his journey whenever he needs help with a certain task (someone to run supplies for the army, someone to creat antidote, someone to smash the rock on a one way passage..etc..) a certain SOD will appear and drew to tenkai by fate who eventually help him with that task. Of course for this to happen, all 108 stars must have quite a full background story and sidequest which I don't think Konami would love to take care of so they rather put in a lot of fillers and let us be confused with some irrelevant SODs.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I believe being born under a Star is not too different from the Zodiac system. Our real-life zodiac systems are pretty lame because it labels all people born in the same month or year with exactly the same symbol... but if it is somewhat like the zodiac systems, you would just need to know when you were born to figure out what Star you were born under. And if that's the case, you might depend on fortune-tellers and others who are connected to the destiny/fate thing (Leknaat, Zerase, Luc) to tell you what Star they were born under. --actually even if it doesn't follow the zodiac system, you would still go to those types of people to find out.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

you raise an interesting question, veeshadow.

Obviously, there are characters who have political significance and play a major part in the wars we are fighting (characters of status such as Theresa, Joshua, Lino En Kuldes who have a lot of influence in their respective countries) so it's not too hard to see why they qualify as Stars of Destiny.

Then we have characters who are not rulers or great warriors, they just provide services, like Inn keepers and shop keepers. I suppose when we first meet these people, they do provide some significance to the hero's quest. For example, Marie shelters us in her inn while we are being hunted by Imperial soldiers. If not for her, we may well have been captured and unable to bring about the rebellion. so that makes Marie a bit more special than just any generic innkeeper we encounter when we're stopping in a town.

And Tai Ho seems like a humble, lazy fisherman who occasionally does a bit of smuggling on the side, but because of him, the rebels were able to reach the castle in the lake (when nobody else would dare take them) and they established their HQ and founded the liberation army. He also helped the kids get across the lake to Kuskus, when they may well have been captured by Highland soldiers.

There are also performers and entertainers among the stars of destiny. They don't exactly help us in battle a great deal, but if you consider Kasios (Millich Oppenheimer's minstrel) she eventually goes on to spread songs of the liberation army's victories. Because of her, we become remembered and honoured in songs.

So, it's not just about them having a portrait and a name inscribed on a tablet - in some way, even if its a small effort, they have helped the leaders of these armies reach their destiny. Even though we do have additional "nameless and faceless" soldiers and helpers inhabiting our HQ, there is something about the 108 recruitable characters that makes them stand out from the crowd (of course, there may be exceptions for some characters who don't do FA besides providing a bonus game, but we can't over-analyse everyone these games!). I hope that kind of helps!