How You got into Suikoden

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Dragamon10

How You got into Suikoden

Post by Dragamon10 »

So I was playing dragon quest IX with Forgotten Days in the background. And I thought about how after begging my mom to let me download Suikoden off PSN she finally caved in and got it for me and since then have been hooked on the series. So my question for you guys is how did you get into Suikoden, which one did you first play, and do you have any found memories playing these games.
Its not over till the Emperor Die's-my thoughts during Suikoden's final battle.
gildedtalon

Re: How You got into Suikoden

Post by gildedtalon »

My brother bought it, my siblings don't have an idea what are good games to play. So far, we've only enjoyed playing Donkey Kong, Time Crisis, Winning Eleven(Pro Evolution Soccer), FIFA, NBA Live

So one day, he brought home suikoden ii. We played until the scene where Riou and Jowy jumped off the cliff. Saw the credits roll, wondering what we did wrong, coz we did check everything before jumping off the cliff. Going to the east as suggested. Must have been game over we thought.

So we decided to abandon the game. On the next day, bro said that his friends told him it wasn't actually game over. The story progression had to be like that, you just had to wait it out lol :D

This was on 2001, we've already started playing games(back then we were playing Nintendo games) since 1996. But it wasn't until 1999, we finally get to understand English better
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

gildedtalon wrote: So one day, he brought home suikoden ii. We played until the scene where Riou and Jowy jumped off the cliff. Saw the credits roll, wondering what we did wrong, coz we did check everything before jumping off the cliff. Going to the east as suggested. Must have been game over we thought.

So we decided to abandon the game. On the next day, bro said that his friends told him it wasn't actually game over. The story progression had to be like that, you just had to wait it out lol :D

This was on 2001, we've already started playing games(back then we were playing Nintendo games) since 1996. But it wasn't until 1999, we finally get to understand English better
!!!! The same with me. I think I restarted the game 2 times, maybe 3 times. I played RPGs before, but I think only Final Fantasy VII and VIII. Well then somehow I was so frustrated and thouught "Well, at least watch the ending credits"..

Also, when you have to recruit Shu, I couldn't find him. The part where you have to go to Radat's inn. I think I played 10 hours in the South Window area. Well, I like the game until this part, so I maybe played oner or two new games until I couldn't find Shu. Well, then I never picked um the game again. Some years later, I decided to replay the game, found Shu,w as blown away and yeah.

I was really an idiot.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, I pulled it off of the shelf. The first day I bought a PSone I bought Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics (which had just been released) to go along with it. On the way out, I saw a Konami game on discount. I liked Konami, as they made Castlevania, so I read the back to find out it was an RPG based on a work of classical Chinese Literature. So, just by happenstance, I came across Suikoden I. With FF VII, FF Tactics, and Suikoden, that was easily the best day of game purchasing ever.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Being an RPG junkie, I bought RPGs with my purchase of PS One, which happened to be Wild Arms 1 and Suikoden (Final Fantasy VII wasn't released yet). I didn't get into Suikoden 1 at all-- the graphics sucked and the beginning was way too slow. The translation also put me off.

After 6 months of not touching the game, I was bored one day and gave it another try. Then I finally got to the first war battle and was blown away by the concept (I had no idea there was such a feature).
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I read about Suikoden 2 on a playstation magazine,back in 2001-2002...i saw some screenshots of it,and i found it intresting,so i decided to buy it. When i first played it i said "oh,it's like pokemon",being a fan of pokemon series...and i was amused. Although when i reached to the point where Viktor asks you to buy flour,i was stuck. I was 10 y.o back then,so i couldn't understand a lot...and i gave up the game,after replaying it some times and being stuck at the same point again. After 1,5-2 years,i decided to give this game another chance,and when i finally managed to get the flour,i started to find it more and more intresting as the game proceed.

Antimatzist wrote: !!!! The same with me. I think I restarted the game 2 times, maybe 3 times. I played RPGs before, but I think only Final Fantasy VII and VIII. Well then somehow I was so frustrated and thouught "Well, at least watch the ending credits"..

Also, when you have to recruit Shu, I couldn't find him. The part where you have to go to Radat's inn. I think I played 10 hours in the South Window area. Well, I like the game until this part, so I maybe played oner or two new games until I couldn't find Shu. Well, then I never picked um the game again. Some years later, I decided to replay the game, found Shu,w as blown away and yeah.

I was really an idiot.

Oh i remember that i've been stuck again at this point of the game...but i didn't give up this time.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Lol, you're the same age as me
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Lol, you're the same age as me

Me?
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:Me?
yea, sasarai the tenth
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

When I was 12 I had just moved to a town where I knew no one during the summer, so I had decided to go down to the video store and rent a few games etc. Was really into the fantasy genre after playing through the Ocarina of Time so when I clocked Suikoden II on the shelf and read the back I thought I'd give it a shot.

Needless to say I spent how much it is worth just renting it out over that summer until I had completed it; and imagine the heartbreaking moment when the store began selling off the PS1 games a year or so later and had punted it to someone for £5...... ANNOYED. :evil:
SirPsycho

Post by SirPsycho »

I got into it by making a blind rental of Suikoden III at Blockbuster back in the years just before Netflix.

The rest is history...
ericm

Post by ericm »

I saw reviews of the colorful and unique looking Suikoden in a number of magazines while looking for my next JRPG fix.
I rented it, and was hooked right from the beginning musical notes of the Gregminster Palace music.
Everything about it oozed charm. I came away placing it among my all time favorite games, and eventually played the second, third, fifth ones, and loved them. I did play the 4th briefly but could not give it much of a chance once the water travel started. I'll try again later. Each replay has also been entertaining and fresh, finding new things to appreciate each time through. My recent play through of number 2 in particular, (appropriately following immediately after a replay of number 1) raised my consciousness about its brilliance beyond my previous perceptions; I did state to many I know recently that Suikoden 2 officially became my favorite game of all time..all these years after it's original release.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Pretty sure I posted this before in another topic;

I was given a second hand PSX for my birthday and it came with a few games, such as Destruction Derby, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 2 and... Suikoden :).

Before I actually got the PSX, I went round the person's house to play on it a few times and so I started playing Suikoden.
I was hooked immediatly and as soon as I actually got the PSX myself, I played Suikoden.

So, I got Suikoden by mere luck, but I as very chuffed that I got the game.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

I was ten years old. I rented the first game when it came out and devoted my Christmas vacation to it. I got the game for my birthday a month later. I had already been a fan of RPGs but something about that game made me obsessed.

I got Suikoden II for Christmas of '99 along with Medal of Honor. Suikoden II quickly became, and still is, my absolute favorite game of all time.
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

My cousin got a PS1 the day it was released, he was quite a JRPG fan back then and got Suikoden while waiting for Final Fantasy VII to be released.

Anyway, I played Suikoden at his place for a hour or so and got instantly hooked and wanted to play more, so a while later I borrowed his PS1 and Suikoden and played thru the whole thing twice before returning it to him. Then I got a PS1 myself around the time Suikoden II was released.