Animation of Spells

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
mackevin06

Re: Animation of Spells

Post by mackevin06 »

My favorite spells was 3's, graphics and animation. Just about every spell was pretty cool-looking. My only complaint about the spells in 3, is I think they went a little overboard with summoning dragons for the elemental spells. And I agree that 4 did it the worst. I thought even 1 did spells better than 4. So in my opinion 3>2>5>1>4.
sticky-runes

Re: Animation of Spells

Post by sticky-runes »

I think Suikoden 3 had the best looking spell animations. They worked well with the camera angles as well.

Suikoden 4's spells looked cheap, just orbs for just about every spell. And that earth quake spell with those stalagmites that burst out of the ground then just suddenly disappear. And I didn't like the creatures for level 4 spells. Suikoden doesn't need summons. Just give us loads of fireballs or a massive tornado, we don't need dragons or weird angelic things appearing on the battle field. Vengeful Child looked nice, though.

Suikoden 5 spells did look a bit tacky and sometimes overdone. I think because the graphics are so bright throughout that game anyway, they did become a bit of an eye sore, so I can see what the OP is getting at. When it comes to magic in these games, I'd rather they underplay it than overplay it.